Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Resistors anyone?

I'm trying to source a few 0.125W 1% 1K/10K resistors but can't find
them locally (Newcastle) and it looks like paying in excess of a
tenner to source them on the net (for delivery charges). Call me
tight, by all means. Can anyone help or suggest where to look locally?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
,
Chris_W wrote:
I'm trying to source a few 0.125W 1% 1K/10K resistors but can't find
them locally (Newcastle) and it looks like paying in excess of a
tenner to source them on the net (for delivery charges). Call me
tight, by all means. Can anyone help or suggest where to look locally?

0.125w isn't much seen these days. Have you tried Ebay - postal charges
shouldn't be much for that sort of thing.

--
*A dog's not just for Christmas, it's alright on a Friday night too*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 11 Oct 2009 15:30:51 -0700 (PDT), Chris_W
had this to say:

I'm trying to source a few 0.125W 1% 1K/10K resistors but can't find
them locally (Newcastle) and it looks like paying in excess of a
tenner to source them on the net (for delivery charges). Call me
tight, by all means. Can anyone help or suggest where to look locally?

You're looking for ohm delivery?

I've got a bandolier of almost 2000 1k2 1% titchy Corning resistors.

--
Frank Erskine
Sunderland
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message
,
Chris_W writes
I'm trying to source a few 0.125W 1% 1K/10K resistors but can't find
them locally (Newcastle) and it looks like paying in excess of a
tenner to source them on the net (for delivery charges). Call me
tight, by all means. Can anyone help or suggest where to look locally?

How about 1/4 watt ?

will they fit ?

--
geoff

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
wrote:
On 11 Oct,
"OG" wrote:

"Chris_W" wrote in message
I'm trying to source a few 0.125W 1% 1K/10K resistors but can't find
them locally (Newcastle) and it looks like paying in excess of a
tenner to source them on the net (for delivery charges). Call me
tight, by all means. Can anyone help or suggest where to look
locally?

Maplins?

They're in Gateshead (Metro Centre).

The only range they do is their 0.6w 'min res'. Which are physically
bigger than 0.125w types. Which as I said are going to be hard to get
retail - ie in small quantities without paying a minimum charge or high
post and packing.

--
*Toilet stolen from police station. Cops have nothing to go on.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Oct 11, 11:30*pm, Chris_W wrote:
I'm trying to source a few 0.125W 1% 1K/10K resistors but can't find
them locally (Newcastle) and it looks like paying in excess of a
tenner to source them on the net (for delivery charges). Call me
tight, by all means. Can anyone help or suggest where to look locally?

http://www.rapidonline.com/
is where mine came from. Cant remember the delivery charge though

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Oct 12, 9:15*am, NT wrote:
On Oct 11, 11:30*pm, Chris_W wrote:

I'm trying to source a few 0.125W 1% 1K/10K resistors but can't find
them locally (Newcastle) and it looks like paying in excess of a
tenner to source them on the net (for delivery charges). Call me
tight, by all means. Can anyone help or suggest where to look locally?

http://www.rapidonline.com/
is where mine came from. Cant remember the delivery charge though

NT

if you get a bag of 100x 5% you should have no problem finding lots of
those within your 1% margin. Tempco won't be as good, so not always
suitable, but often is.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 11 Oct 2009 15:30:51 -0700 (PDT), Chris_W wrote:
I'm trying to source a few 0.125W 1% 1K/10K resistors but can't find
them locally (Newcastle) and it looks like paying in excess of a
tenner to source them on the net (for delivery charges). Call me
tight, by all means. Can anyone help or suggest where to look locally?

if you can make do with 1/4 watt, try www.bitsbox.co.uk. They have a flat rate
of £1.50 for postage, which makes them a good choice (IMHO, no connection)
for small orders.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

pete wrote:
try www.bitsbox.co.uk. They have a flat rate
of £1.50 for postage, which makes them a good choice (IMHO, no connection)
for small orders.

Recommended. I use them as well.

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris_W wrote :
I'm trying to source a few 0.125W 1% 1K/10K resistors but can't find
them locally (Newcastle) and it looks like paying in excess of a
tenner to source them on the net (for delivery charges). Call me
tight, by all means. Can anyone help or suggest where to look locally?

Maplins carry those.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"NT" wrote in message
On Oct 12, 9:15 am, NT wrote:
On Oct 11, 11:30 pm, Chris_W wrote:

I'm trying to source a few 0.125W 1% 1K/10K resistors but can't find
them locally (Newcastle) and it looks like paying in excess of a
tenner to source them on the net (for delivery charges). Call me
tight, by all means. Can anyone help or suggest where to look locally?

http://www.rapidonline.com/
is where mine came from. Cant remember the delivery charge though

NT

if you get a bag of 100x 5% you should have no problem finding lots of
those within your 1% margin. Tempco won't be as good, so not always
suitable, but often is.

.... but all the 1% and 2% will have already been sorted and taken out - so
no chance!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 12 Oct 2009 16:59:11 +0100, Phil Jessop wrote:

if you get a bag of 100x 5% you should have no problem finding

lots of
those within your 1% margin.

.... but all the 1% and 2% will have already been sorted and taken out -
so no chance!

Depends if you want to be within 1% of the nominal value or 1% within
a value within the 5% range of the nominal value. B-)

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"Phil Jessop" writes:

"NT" wrote in message
On Oct 12, 9:15 am, NT wrote:
On Oct 11, 11:30 pm, Chris_W wrote:

I'm trying to source a few 0.125W 1% 1K/10K resistors but can't find
them locally (Newcastle) and it looks like paying in excess of a
tenner to source them on the net (for delivery charges). Call me
tight, by all means. Can anyone help or suggest where to look locally?

http://www.rapidonline.com/
is where mine came from. Cant remember the delivery charge though

NT

if you get a bag of 100x 5% you should have no problem finding lots of
those within your 1% margin. Tempco won't be as good, so not always
suitable, but often is.

... but all the 1% and 2% will have already been sorted and taken out - so
no chance!

I'm pretty sure they're not made like that anymore.

Back in the days of E6 (20%) and E12 (10%), they were made with fairly
random values but as the tolerance of each ran into the tolerance of
the next in the series, they could just be sorted on value, and every
resistor fitted one value within tolerance.

Nowadays, all the resistors I buy seem to be 2%, which is the E96 series.
However, most suppliers still supply only E24 values, albeit still at 2%.
This means the are large gaps between valid values of 2% resistors in
the E24 series (not worked it out, but if you take random values, I
suspect somewhere around 75% of them will be invalid E24 2% resistors).

However, resistors aren't just crude carbon rods anymore. They are made
to have the required values, and can be laser tuned during manufacture.
I suspect if you bought a bag (or bandolier) of 100x 5%, you'd be more
likely to find they all +3.55%, or some such.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Posted to uk.d-i-y
OG OG is offline

"Chris_W" wrote in message
I'm trying to source a few 0.125W 1% 1K/10K resistors but can't find
them locally (Newcastle) and it looks like paying in excess of a
tenner to source them on the net (for delivery charges). Call me
tight, by all means. Can anyone help or suggest where to look locally?

If you know someone who works at a local school or college you might be
lucky.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Harry Bloomfield wrote:
I'm trying to source a few 0.125W 1% 1K/10K resistors but can't find
them locally (Newcastle) and it looks like paying in excess of a
tenner to source them on the net (for delivery charges). Call me
tight, by all means. Can anyone help or suggest where to look locally?

Maplins carry those.

Don't think so.

--
*Some days we are the flies; some days we are the windscreen.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12 Oct, 18:58, "Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:
In article ,
* *Harry Bloomfield wrote:

I'm trying to source a few 0.125W 1% 1K/10K resistors but can't find
them locally (Newcastle) and it looks like paying in excess of a
tenner to source them on the net (for delivery charges). Call me
tight, by all means. Can anyone help or suggest where to look locally?

Maplins carry those.

Don't think so.

--
*Some days we are the flies; some days we are the windscreen.*

* * Dave Plowman * * * * * * * * London SW
* * * * * * * * * To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Cheers for the replies. I tried Maplins but they had nothing close in
stock, as per usual. Stumbled upon this little gem - http://www.modecomponents.co.uk/
- and they have them in stock at crazy prices (£1 delivery).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message o.uk, Dave
Liquorice writes
On Mon, 12 Oct 2009 16:59:11 +0100, Phil Jessop wrote:

if you get a bag of 100x 5% you should have no problem finding

lots of
those within your 1% margin.

.... but all the 1% and 2% will have already been sorted and taken out -
so no chance!

Depends if you want to be within 1% of the nominal value or 1% within
a value within the 5% range of the nominal value. B-)

Or whether it's actually an important parameter ?

--
geoff

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Phil
Jessop writes

"NT" wrote in message
On Oct 12, 9:15 am, NT wrote:
On Oct 11, 11:30 pm, Chris_W wrote:

I'm trying to source a few 0.125W 1% 1K/10K resistors but can't find
them locally (Newcastle) and it looks like paying in excess of a
tenner to source them on the net (for delivery charges). Call me
tight, by all means. Can anyone help or suggest where to look locally?

http://www.rapidonline.com/
is where mine came from. Cant remember the delivery charge though

NT

if you get a bag of 100x 5% you should have no problem finding lots of
those within your 1% margin. Tempco won't be as good, so not always
suitable, but often is.

... but all the 1% and 2% will have already been sorted and taken out - so
no chance!

You think that they really waste time and effort doing something like
that ?

costs more than the monetary value of the resistors

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

geoff wrote:
You think that they really waste time and effort doing something like
that ?

costs more than the monetary value of the resistors

Depends. It may be worthwhile to have an automated tester as part of the
production line than sorts them into different bins based on value. After
all, the production process requires more work than that step (making carbon
rods/wirewinding, soldering on leads, casing in ceramic/epoxy, painting,
colour coding, railing). You probably want some kind of tester anyway to
reject those that are open circuit or way off tolerance.

Theo
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Theo Markettos
writes
geoff wrote:
You think that they really waste time and effort doing something like
that ?

costs more than the monetary value of the resistors

Depends. It may be worthwhile to have an automated tester as part of the
production line than sorts them into different bins based on value. After
all, the production process requires more work than that step (making carbon
rods/wirewinding, soldering on leads, casing in ceramic/epoxy, painting,
colour coding, railing). You probably want some kind of tester anyway to
reject those that are open circuit or way off tolerance.

Not an authority on this, but I expect they would only batch test a
sample on a particular production line to show that they were physically
Ok and within tolerance

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris_W wrote:

Cheers for the replies. I tried Maplins but they had nothing close in
stock, as per usual. Stumbled upon this little gem - http://www.modecomponents.co.uk/
- and they have them in stock at crazy prices (£1 delivery).

Do you mean

http://www.modelcomponents.co.uk/

?

Another Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11 Oct, 23:30, Chris_W wrote:
I'm trying to source a few 0.125W 1% 1K/10K resistors but can't find
them locally (Newcastle) and it looks like paying in excess of a
tenner to source them on the net (for delivery charges). Call me
tight, by all means. Can anyone help or suggest where to look locally?

ESR in Cullercoats..

http://www.esr.co.uk/

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
,
Adam Aglionby wrote:
On 11 Oct, 23:30, Chris_W wrote:
I'm trying to source a few 0.125W 1% 1K/10K resistors but can't find
them locally (Newcastle) and it looks like paying in excess of a
tenner to source them on the net (for delivery charges). Call me
tight, by all means. Can anyone help or suggest where to look locally?

ESR in Cullercoats..

http://www.esr.co.uk/

They only appear to do kits. And no 0.125w resistors. As I said before
they're rare these days and you'll need a proper electronics supplier with
the usual minimum order charge.

--
*Procrastination is the art of keeping up with yesterday.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 15 Oct 2009 09:51:44 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article
,
Adam Aglionby wrote:
On 11 Oct, 23:30, Chris_W wrote:
I'm trying to source a few 0.125W 1% 1K/10K resistors but can't find
them locally (Newcastle) and it looks like paying in excess of a
tenner to source them on the net (for delivery charges). Call me
tight, by all means. Can anyone help or suggest where to look
locally?

ESR in Cullercoats..

http://www.esr.co.uk/

They only appear to do kits. And no 0.125w resistors. As I said before
they're rare these days and you'll need a proper electronics supplier
with the usual minimum order charge.

Farnell seem to have them (well, I only looked for 1K but...)

I went through the process of buying 10 of them, got to checkout and
there was a basic shipping charge of £0.00. No handling charge.

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Bob Eager wrote:
They only appear to do kits. And no 0.125w resistors. As I said before
they're rare these days and you'll need a proper electronics supplier
with the usual minimum order charge.

Farnell seem to have them (well, I only looked for 1K but...)

Yes - I'd expect most of those sort of outfits to have them. Although some
will only sell them in packs of 100.

I went through the process of buying 10 of them, got to checkout and
there was a basic shipping charge of £0.00. No handling charge.

They all seem to change their conditions daily. ;-)

--
*Avoid clichés like the plague. (They're old hat.) *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember Chris_W saying
something like:

I'm trying to source a few 0.125W 1% 1K/10K resistors but can't find
them locally (Newcastle) and it looks like paying in excess of a
tenner to source them on the net (for delivery charges). Call me
tight, by all means. Can anyone help or suggest where to look locally?

Bardwells have always been good, dunno about their min post cost for
some resistors, but they'd probably just charge a stamp and jiffy if you
call them up.
http://www.bardwells.co.uk/subcats.asp?catid=RES05

Balls, I've just noticed their min order is a fiver.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:
drugs began to take hold. I remember Chris_W saying
something like:

I'm trying to source a few 0.125W 1% 1K/10K resistors but can't find
them locally (Newcastle) and it looks like paying in excess of a
tenner to source them on the net (for delivery charges). Call me
tight, by all means. Can anyone help or suggest where to look locally?

Bardwells have always been good, dunno about their min post cost for
some resistors, but they'd probably just charge a stamp and jiffy if you
call them up.
http://www.bardwells.co.uk/subcats.asp?catid=RES05

Balls, I've just noticed their min order is a fiver.

Unless there's something wrong with my browser they appear to have a
limited range in 1/8th watt. Not including the wanted ones. ;-)

--
*Make it idiot-proof and someone will make a better idiot.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

MTX 6500D Blown Resistors - resistors.jpg (0/1) Steve[_15_] Electronic Schematics 18 April 8th 08 02:34 AM
MTX 6500D Blown Resistors - resistors.jpg (1/1) Steve[_15_] Electronic Schematics 4 April 6th 08 04:47 PM
End-to-End Capacitance of SMD Resistors Jim Thompson Electronic Schematics 18 January 7th 08 02:06 AM
Resistors Dave Plowman (News) UK diy 27 December 30th 06 06:28 PM
Fusible Resistors Thomas Arundel Electronics Repair 11 May 26th 05 09:07 AM