Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to uk.d-i-y
KD KD is offline

Default LV Halogens MR16 to LEDs ?

Hi all,
A question in a similar area to Boicey's a few mintues ago....
I've just had a fun hour trying to figure out how to easily remove a GU 10
halogen downlighter from our kitchen ceiling after having bought some GU10
CFLs. One set of needle nosed pliers and a smashed up bulb later, I've
realised that they're 'MR16 GU 5.3 fittings' with Osram Decostars in them.
These seem to be low voltage. This surprised me a bit; I had thought that
only mains voltage lamps were dimmable and that these were 'mains voltage'.
I am obviously not an electrican
Anyway, I'd like to replace them with LEDs. A lot of LED MR16s say that
they're 'a direct replacement for my old inefficient bulbs'. Then, in the
small print, they mention LED drivers versus LV transformers. Given that I
didn't install the original halogens ... can I assume that each one
currently has it's own transformer ? thick question alert - do LV
halogens have to have transformers ? I assume so but would like to be sure.
I was thinking of simply swapping them with some LED MR16 bulbs just in case
it works OK. Given John R's reply to the Econic 3w question, I'm just
wondering if it's even worth bothering as it'll cost around £30 for the room
I want to experiment with and I don't want to have to install either
transformers or drivers. Worth a shot ?

Thanks in advance,
Keith, who previous struggled remembering which fittings were BC, SBC, ES or
SES, never mind this new fangled halogen nonsense

12V MR16 lighting - LED?? Lobster UK diy 5 February 23rd 09 04:26 PM
LV Halogens elziko UK diy 17 September 10th 07 03:38 PM
Daylight Halogens Doki UK diy 6 August 13th 06 12:53 AM
LED MR16 Bulb. Alec UK diy 3 July 29th 06 12:41 AM
Mains halogens Grumps UK diy 6 March 1st 06 11:08 AM