Posted to uk.d-i-y
KD KD is offline

Default LV Halogens MR16 to LEDs ?

"NT" wrote in message
On Oct 30, 5:38 pm, "KD" wrote:
"NT" wrote in message

On Oct 30, 11:48 am, "KD" wrote:

"KD" wrote in message

.uk...

Hi all,
A question in a similar area to Boicey's a few mintues ago....
I've just had a fun hour trying to figure out how to easily remove a
GU
10
halogen downlighter from our kitchen ceiling after having bought some
GU10
CFLs. One set of needle nosed pliers and a smashed up bulb later, I've
realised that they're 'MR16 GU 5.3 fittings' with Osram Decostars in
them.
These seem to be low voltage. This surprised me a bit; I had thought
that
only mains voltage lamps were dimmable and that these were 'mains
voltage'. I am obviously not an electrican
Anyway, I'd like to replace them with LEDs. A lot of LED MR16s say
that
they're 'a direct replacement for my old inefficient bulbs'. Then, in
the
small print, they mention LED drivers versus LV transformers. Given
that
I didn't install the original halogens ... can I assume that each one
currently has it's own transformer ? thick question alert - do LV
halogens have to have transformers ? I assume so but would like to be
sure.
I was thinking of simply swapping them with some LED MR16 bulbs just
in
case it works OK. Given John R's reply to the Econic 3w question, I'm
just wondering if it's even worth bothering as it'll cost around £30
for
the room I want to experiment with and I don't want to have to install
either transformers or drivers. Worth a shot ?

Thanks in advance,
Keith, who previous struggled remembering which fittings were BC, SBC,
ES
or SES, never mind this new fangled halogen nonsense

Hi all,
Just a follow up to my original post. I've discovered each of my
downlighters has it's own transformer. So much for using one halogen to
up
the power that the transformer is required to deliver, this would only
work
with multiple bulbs per transformer. However, a number of LEDs claim
that
they can work with existing transformers, rather than LED drivers, but
with
half the expected bulb life. So, I took the plunge ... I replaced 3
spots
upstairs directly with LEDs. The LEDs come on, look OK and don't flicker
.... however, my bedroom radio now suffers terrible interference. Now to
figure out how to stop that ....

Cheers,
Keith

0.1uF capacitor in series with 1 ohm resistor, fitted to the LV feed.
It'll work best near LED or transformer, try both to find out which.

NT

Thanks NT,
You may have realised by now that me and electrics don't really do
together
too well. So, when capacitors and resistors get mentioned my eyes glaze
over. Your advice is much appreciated but it's going beyond the level of
simplicity I was naively trying to achieve.
Would it make a difference if I swapped out the original transformers for
some of the 12V DV drivers instead ?

Should do. But a 0.1uF capacitor and a 1 ohm resistor is far simpler,
and you can get them at any electronic component supplier, or any shop
that does repairs.

LV red wire -----resistor----capacitor----LV black wire.

Simple as that.

I don't really fancy rigging up the
arrangement you mentioned myself - I'm sure I'd end up doing something
else
odd

Cheers,
Keith

NT

Hi again NT,
I suppose an "I told you so" might be in order as I didn't follow your
instructions ... I've just replaced the AC 12V transformers with 12V DC
'drivers'. The radio reception is still knackered.
I'm going to approach the manufacturer about this now ....
I could try your suggestion but it'll be while before I get round to it. Is
it likely to have more success than the drivers ? Is there something about
LED technology that can cause this interference regardless of the power
supply ? It even takes out a DAB radio on the other side of the house and
downstairs !

Ho hum,
Cheers,
Keith