Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Melamine Restoration

I'm looking to touch up one of my worktops which has been badly burnt
by a pan (ie the missus). Some of the damage will probably see me down
to chipboard when preparing the job. I've looked into the topic and
I'm confident that with patience I can tackle it if I can find the
right colour match. A lot of 'melamine' paints I've seen around seem
limited in thier range of colour so I'm wondering if there's an
approach I can try that involves using paints not specifically
designed for use with melamine (model paints such as enamel for
example) and still achieve a convincing effect. I won't need large
amounts of paint if just restoring this area so if I can save money by
doing so then all the better.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Oct 1, 10:30 am, Chris_W wrote:
I'm looking to touch up one of my worktops which has been badly burnt
by a pan (ie the missus).

I think the repair would be rather obvious and not look good.
Why not glue some heat proof tiles there? It's clearly a good place to
put a hot pan
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Chris_W" wrote in message
I'm looking to touch up one of my worktops which has been badly burnt
by a pan (ie the missus). Some of the damage will probably see me down
to chipboard when preparing the job. I've looked into the topic and
I'm confident that with patience I can tackle it if I can find the
right colour match. A lot of 'melamine' paints I've seen around seem
limited in thier range of colour so I'm wondering if there's an
approach I can try that involves using paints not specifically
designed for use with melamine (model paints such as enamel for
example) and still achieve a convincing effect. I won't need large
amounts of paint if just restoring this area so if I can save money by
doing so then all the better.

Ronseal melamine paint is specifically NOT recommended for worktops

A development of matty's idea maybe to use a router to cut out the damaged
area to the depth of a ceramic tile + adhesive or for a stainless steel
plate with a piece of heat proof board under and make a pan standing area.

If you could get the stainless joggled/flanged there would be a lip to cover
the edge of the melamine but thats perhaps more trouble than replacing the
worktop

Regards

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 1 Oct, 15:46, "TMC" wrote:
"Chris_W" wrote in message

[...]

Thanks for the suggestions. I had thought about this before but
infortunately it's also the obvious place to chop stuff too and I
don't think our landlord would be too happy with the result. I guess
replacing the wortop is the best option. What a headache.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message
,
Chris_W writes
I'm looking to touch up one of my worktops which has been badly burnt
by a pan (ie the missus). Some of the damage will probably see me down
to chipboard when preparing the job. I've looked into the topic and
I'm confident that with patience I can tackle it if I can find the
right colour match. A lot of 'melamine' paints I've seen around seem
limited in thier range of colour so I'm wondering if there's an
approach I can try that involves using paints not specifically
designed for use with melamine (model paints such as enamel for
example) and still achieve a convincing effect. I won't need large
amounts of paint if just restoring this area so if I can save money by
doing so then all the better.

I don't think there is a lot special about the 'Melamine' paints. I
suspect they are a repackaging of existing products really. I painted
some melamine kitchen doors a few years back with Dulux Satinwood using
one of these liquid wipe on primer type things (forget the name now).

It was fine on the doors, but I don't imagine it would wear very well on
a worktop.
--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 1 Oct, 20:15, chris French
wrote:
In message
,
Chris_W writes

[...]

Oooops indeed. Maybe a chopping board, or a pan will do the trick...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

If you have contents insurance, it may well be covered.

Painting is not likely to work, replacing the worktop however is :-(

how to cut melamine [email protected] Woodworking 16 September 5th 07 06:31 PM
Melamine a34655 Woodworking 9 February 1st 07 11:00 PM
Cutting Melamine [email protected] Home Repair 1 April 12th 06 01:40 AM
Joining Melamine Scott Woodworking 7 January 5th 05 10:42 PM
Does painting melamine contradict the reason for using melamine? Rich UK diy 1 July 10th 03 03:32 PM