Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Danish Oil or Teak Oil?

Is there any great difference between them?
Which is best for

(a) external wooden gates (large); and

(b) kitchen wood surface?

I'm not sure of the exact wood in either case,
except that both seem to be hard woods.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30 Sep, 11:21, Timothy Murphy wrote:
Is there any great difference between them?

Yes. Danish oil isn't just oil, it's up to 30% varnish mix

Teak oil is almost anything, but it's usually a light non-film-forming
oil (often also overpriced and no use to man nor beast)

Which is best for

* * * * (a) external wooden gates (large); and

* * * * (b) kitchen wood surface?

Danish oil for the first. Apart from giving a rather matt finish, it's
a tough old oil and good for outdoor uses.

Organoil (Australian) also do a good range of outdoor oils.

For kitchens, then I wouldn't use either. Either go with Liberon's
Finishing Oil (a fairly typical film-forming oil) for furniture, or
else simple mineral oil (Liquid Paraffin from the chemist) for salad
bowls. Also search the ng for a thread a week or two back.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Dingley wrote:
On 30 Sep, 11:21, Timothy Murphy wrote:
Is there any great difference between them?

Yes. Danish oil isn't just oil, it's up to 30% varnish mix

Teak oil is almost anything, but it's usually a light non-film-forming
oil (often also overpriced and no use to man nor beast)

Which is best for

(a) external wooden gates (large); and

(b) kitchen wood surface?

Danish oil for the first. Apart from giving a rather matt finish, it's
a tough old oil and good for outdoor uses.

Organoil (Australian) also do a good range of outdoor oils.

For kitchens, then I wouldn't use either. Either go with Liberon's
Finishing Oil (a fairly typical film-forming oil) for furniture, or
else simple mineral oil (Liquid Paraffin from the chemist) for salad
bowls. Also search the ng for a thread a week or two back.

Interesting. So what would Coloron's Antique Oil be then?
http://www.toolbank.com/1174/p/B1057/RSL/RSLCAO250

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 1 Oct, 20:16, "The Medway Handyman"
wrote:

Interesting. *So what would Coloron's Antique Oil be then?
http://www.toolbank.com/1174/p/B1057/RSL/RSLCAO250

Ask Colron. If you chase through the phone system or do it in writing,
paint & finish makers are often quite helpful about giving details.

As it says "sheen", then I suspect it's a film-forming oil (i.e. it
cures to make a surface layer). Most are.

Thus it's also probably a bad thing to use repeatedly on antiques, as
it builds up continuously.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Interesting. So what would Coloron's Antique Oil be then?
http://www.toolbank.com/1174/p/B1057/RSL/RSLCAO250

Ask Colron. If you chase through the phone system or do it in writing,
paint & finish makers are often quite helpful about giving details.

As it says "sheen", then I suspect it's a film-forming oil (i.e. it
cures to make a surface layer). Most are.

Thus it's also probably a bad thing to use repeatedly on antiques, as
it builds up continuously.

Don't think its meant to be used on antiques, I think thats just a catchy
name. I've used it on untreated pine & it gives a really nice finish.

So its a kind of Danish Oil?

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Danish oil won't dry (!) GMM UK diy 2 June 5th 08 10:13 AM
ECO-TEAK: A Big Fat Lie about teak outdoor furniture Akhter Home Ownership 0 December 20th 06 07:29 AM
ECO-TEAK: A Big Fat Lie about teak outdoor furniture. Akhter Woodworking 0 December 18th 06 08:39 AM
Danish oil Stephen Judge UK diy 1 September 15th 03 12:10 AM