Posted to uk.d-i-y
GMM GMM is offline

Default Danish oil won't dry (!)

I've been treating some oak with Danish oil. The first time around, 5
coats, one a day, and each dried fine until the final surface was
sealed and has just a little sheen. The second piece, treated the
same way, has ended up with a glossy gloopy-ish finish that is still
tacky to the touch after a week. I was hoping it would have dried to
the point where I could sand the glossiness off but clearly that's off
the cards for the moment. So, the questions:

Did I put some of the coats on too quickly or was it just that the
final coat was a bit thick? The surface was dry before I added more
but it had been soaking up the oil so I did dollop it on a bit.
Is there anything I can do to move this job along? I thought of
trying to wipe the gloomy gooey coat off with white spirit or
something, but I don't want to make more of a cock of it than is
already the case(!)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 4 Jun, 11:06, GMM wrote:

Did I put some of the coats on too quickly or was it just that the
final coat was a bit thick?

Too thick

I thought of
trying to wipe the gloomy gooey coat off with white spirit

Yes

Then try and dry it. Dry, warm, wait a week.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GMM GMM is offline

On 4 Jun, 11:26, Andy Dingley wrote:

Then try and dry it. Dry, warm, wait a week.

Thanks Andy - the white spirit took it back by the equivalent of a
coat or two very easily, so I'll try to be less heavy handed when I
give it another go next week!

Watco Danish Oil Rick Samuel[_2_] Woodworking 0 June 2nd 08 06:13 AM
Can I use the Danish oil? Jimmy Woodworking 2 May 15th 08 04:34 PM
Danish oil catz1x Home Repair 2 January 28th 06 06:35 PM
Tried and True Danish Oil [email protected] Woodworking 4 November 17th 05 04:37 PM
Danish oil Stephen Judge UK diy 1 September 15th 03 12:10 AM