Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default what between steel and wood joists?

I have inserted a steel beam under a broken floor,
and chiseled under the joists so I can get it in,
but there are irregular gaps in between of about half an inch and less.
The joists will sit on the metal beam.

How shall I fill the gap?
Some bits of slate and readymix cement?
or car body filler?
But mightnt they crumble as I adjust things?

Something a bit flexible like HardAsNails?

Or lime mortar?

It's only holding up a floor and a bath,
so it doesnt have to be super strong,
but i want it to last a hundred years.

thanks

[george]
Posted to uk.d-i-y

george (dicegeorge)
wibbled on Friday 25 September 2009 15:53

I have inserted a steel beam under a broken floor,
and chiseled under the joists so I can get it in,
but there are irregular gaps in between of about half an inch and less.
The joists will sit on the metal beam.

How shall I fill the gap?
Some bits of slate and readymix cement?
or car body filler?
But mightnt they crumble as I adjust things?

Something a bit flexible like HardAsNails?

Or lime mortar?

It's only holding up a floor and a bath,
so it doesnt have to be super strong,
but i want it to last a hundred years.

thanks

[george]

I would use metal sheet - perhaps 2x2" square washers (about 1/16" thick) -
banged in between the wood and the beam until tight (use as many as needed
under each bit). Easy to buy and fairly flexible to make up the thickness
required.

The only thing to be aware of is that the packing *might* "walk" due to
expansion and contraction over time...

--
Tim Watts

This space intentionally left blank...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim W wrote:
[...]

I'd use expanding foam or car body filler.
Which probably won't.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 25 Sep 2009 16:11:03 +0100, Tim W wrote:
perhaps 2x2" square washers (about 1/16" thick) -
banged in between the wood and the beam until tight (use as many as needed
under each bit). Easy to buy and fairly flexible to make up the thickness
required.

The only thing to be aware of is that the packing *might* "walk" due to
expansion and contraction over time...

Might be possible to weld in place after, I suppose, so long as it was
done quickly enough to avoid too much localised heating of the joists.

Around here in the land o' timber-framed houses, it's common to use wooden
shims for levelling floors - but they're usually nailed in place
afterwards to the supporting beam, and that doesn't work if it's steel :-)

cheers

Jules

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jules
wibbled on Friday 25 September 2009 21:44

but they're usually nailed in place
afterwards to the supporting beam, and that doesn't work if it's steel :-)

Unless you have a Hilti gun.

Ah, an excuse for a *proper* tool... Imagine that:

"Dear, can you hang this picture?" Bam! "Done"

"The cat's clawed the chair." Bam! "Never will again..."

"The daughter's brought home another gorilla" "Clik" "Just leaving,
goodnight, er, Sir..."

Steel joists Randy Metalworking 10 June 18th 09 02:45 PM
Pressed steel joists in loft.... Joker7 UK diy 5 September 11th 08 03:03 PM
Extending joists into web of steel beam Niall Smart UK diy 11 November 16th 07 08:12 PM
Connecting Timber Joists to Steel Beam TheScullster UK diy 13 June 19th 05 05:13 PM
Hang Joists from Steel Beam - Lintel Design TheScullster UK diy 7 March 10th 05 06:54 PM