Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim W[_2_] Tim W[_2_] is offline

Default what between steel and wood joists?

george (dicegeorge)
wibbled on Friday 25 September 2009 15:53

I have inserted a steel beam under a broken floor,
and chiseled under the joists so I can get it in,
but there are irregular gaps in between of about half an inch and less.
The joists will sit on the metal beam.

How shall I fill the gap?
Some bits of slate and readymix cement?
or car body filler?
But mightnt they crumble as I adjust things?

Something a bit flexible like HardAsNails?

Or lime mortar?

It's only holding up a floor and a bath,
so it doesnt have to be super strong,
but i want it to last a hundred years.

thanks

[george]

I would use metal sheet - perhaps 2x2" square washers (about 1/16" thick) -
banged in between the wood and the beam until tight (use as many as needed
under each bit). Easy to buy and fairly flexible to make up the thickness
required.

The only thing to be aware of is that the packing *might* "walk" due to
expansion and contraction over time...

--
Tim Watts

This space intentionally left blank...