Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT - Accelorator

Hi all.
I used jump leads to start up a dead battery and
I'm trying to charge the battery with the engine idling
in p reg rover 214. When I try to give it a few more revs to speed up the
process the revs stay up...gave the gas pedal a touch and it zoomed over
3000
and stayed there.
That can't be normal?

Does something need looking at?

Thanks.

Arthur
PS I did post this question to uk.cars.maintainance but they prefer smart
aleck remarks
to answering questions.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"Arthur 51" writes:
Hi all.
I used jump leads to start up a dead battery and
I'm trying to charge the battery with the engine idling
in p reg rover 214. When I try to give it a few more revs to speed up the
process the revs stay up...gave the gas pedal a touch and it zoomed over
3000
and stayed there.
That can't be normal?

Does something need looking at?

It could be an EMU which has detected a flat battery, but I don't
know if they were that inteligent that long ago. OTOH, an alternator
doesn't need anything like engine at 3000 RPM to generate full output;
they can produce nearly full output at idle (unlike an old dynamo), so
the 3000 RPM would not seem likely for that reason.

So might be an unrelated fault, or maybe you managed to momentarily
disconnect the supply to the EMU during the coupling up, and it lost
it's learned settings for the engine, and has dropped back into a
safe mode until it relearns the engine characteristics. I had a P
reg Fiesta which did this, and engine was noticably rough for the
next 10 miles or so, until the EMU relearned its characteristics.
(The handbook warned of this if the EMU ever lost the battery
supply.)

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Arthur 51 wrote:
Hi all.
I used jump leads to start up a dead battery and
I'm trying to charge the battery with the engine idling
in p reg rover 214. When I try to give it a few more revs to speed up the
process the revs stay up...gave the gas pedal a touch and it zoomed over
3000
and stayed there.
That can't be normal?

Does something need looking at?

Thanks.

Arthur
PS I did post this question to uk.cars.maintainance but they prefer smart
aleck remarks
to answering questions.

If you are referring to the answer by Mr Cheerful, then you are
mistaken. He is probably the most helpful and one of the best informed
people there.

Andy C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

After serious thinking Andrew Gabriel wrote :
So might be an unrelated fault, or maybe you managed to momentarily
disconnect the supply to the EMU during the coupling up, and it lost
it's learned settings for the engine, and has dropped back into a
safe mode until it relearns the engine characteristics. I had a P
reg Fiesta which did this, and engine was noticably rough for the
next 10 miles or so, until the EMU relearned its characteristics.
(The handbook warned of this if the EMU ever lost the battery
supply.)

It would run a little rough and maybe tick over a little faster, but
not at 3000rpm - that would make it undriveable. I wonder if the idle
valve has stuck open, but 3000rpm is way beyond the control range of
most idle valves. Another possibility is that the throttle position
sensor has gone o/c. I suppose you have checked the accelerator peddle
is at its usual height - if not check the throttle cable is properly in
its sockets at both ends/ not kinked.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Arthur 51 wrote:
Hi all.
I used jump leads to start up a dead battery and
I'm trying to charge the battery with the engine idling
in p reg rover 214. When I try to give it a few more revs to speed
up the process the revs stay up...gave the gas pedal a touch and it
zoomed over 3000
and stayed there.
That can't be normal?

Does something need looking at?

Thanks.

Arthur
PS I did post this question to uk.cars.maintainance but they prefer
smart aleck remarks
to answering questions.

Arthur 51,

The reply that you had over on uk.cars.maintainance from Mr Cheerful:

"if the battery has been completely flat then the car may need to re-learn
its settings, it will only do this once it has been fully hot and driven for
a while, so I wouldn't touch anything yet."

Is a perfectly feasible answer from a very knowledgeable bloke - but as
normal, you have failed to heed some very good advice.

Falco

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sep 24, 4:47*pm, "Arthur 51" wrote:
Hi all.
I used jump leads to start up a dead battery and
I'm trying to charge the battery with the engine idling
in p reg rover 214. *When I try to give it a few more revs to speed up the
process the revs stay up...gave the gas pedal a touch and it zoomed over
3000
and stayed there.
That can't be normal?

Does something need looking at?

Thanks.

Arthur
PS *I did post this question to uk.cars.maintainance but they prefer smart
aleck remarks
to answering questions.

faulty sticking accelerator cable is the most common cause

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andy Cap" wrote in message
o.uk...
Arthur 51 wrote:
Hi all.
I used jump leads to start up a dead battery and
I'm trying to charge the battery with the engine idling
in p reg rover 214. When I try to give it a few more revs to speed up
the
process the revs stay up...gave the gas pedal a touch and it zoomed over
3000
and stayed there.
That can't be normal?

Does something need looking at?

Thanks.

Arthur
PS I did post this question to uk.cars.maintainance but they prefer
smart aleck remarks
to answering questions.

If you are referring to the answer by Mr Cheerful, then you are mistaken.
He is probably the most helpful and one of the best informed people there.

Andy C

My original post to this group was made before Mr Cherful replied to my post
on ek.rec.cars...
I'm sorry to tar everyone on that group with the same brush but most of the
time I've asked
questions on that group I get the impression they much prefer sharing their
knowledge with people
who ask questions on upmarket or prestigious cars...i.e. rather than answer
questions on something
like my old car they prefer to pick up on some naive terminology or phrase I
might use in order to
show other group regulars that they are 'one of the lads' or something like
that.

I'll take your word on what you say of Mr Cheerful as I only use car groups
on rare occasions and so unable
to identify the upstanding members as you obviously can.
Besides, if Mr Cheerful is not the sort to make cheap cracks then I'm sure
he would see that I wasn't referring to him..

Arthur

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Andrew Gabriel
writes
It could be an EMU which has detected a flat battery, but I don't
know if they were that inteligent that long ago.

They were and the Rover has a particularly unpleasant 'relearn' on some
models which has to be activated manually.

--
Clint Sharp
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24 Sep, 16:47, "Arthur 51" wrote:
Hi all.
I used jump leads to start up a dead battery and
I'm trying to charge the battery with the engine idling
in p reg rover 214. *When I try to give it a few more revs to speed up the
process the revs stay up...gave the gas pedal a touch and it zoomed over
3000
and stayed there.
That can't be normal?

Does something need looking at?

Thanks.

Arthur
PS *I did post this question to uk.cars.maintainance but they prefer smart
aleck remarks
to answering questions.

As suggested, I would tend to think accelerator cable. If not, the
bubble shape (no sure on the previous model) can have issues with the
accelerator sticking due to the flap in the throttle body not closing
fully. A quick blip on the throttle normally cures this temporarily -
removal of the flap and shaft with full cleaning before reassembly
worked for me.

Assuming you still have issues, then worth checking resistance of the
CTS (coolant temp sensor) hot and cold and also make sure that the
system is bled correctly. ... there is water in there right ???

Cheers,
Mark
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"mark" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks, but I only know where to put various fluids and the battery.
Oh..sorry..you mean the radiator?...I'll check that tomorrow.
Arthur

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"mark" wrote in message
[...]

As an aside, I once had the use of a car with a strange problem after
starting. It turned out that the engine to body earth strap wasn't very good
and when starting the accelerator cable got very hot (earthing the engine).
This caused the plastic inner lining to soften and cause the throttle to jam
until I pressed it hard to free it after it cooled.