Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Unhappy builder

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/d...re/8267763.stm

No-one wins is my guess.

Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message ,
ARWadsworth writes
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/d...re/8267763.stm

No-one wins is my guess.

Rather curious rafter spacing?

regards

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARWadsworth presented the following explanation :
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/d...re/8267763.stm

No-one wins is my guess.

You have to wonder how it can get to this stage, without it going to
some independent body for a decision.

£15000 seems awfully cheap for an extension, if the de-roofed bit is
the extension. What happened to the builder who demolished the unpaid
for porch last year?

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
k...
ARWadsworth presented the following explanation :
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/d...re/8267763.stm

No-one wins is my guess.

You have to wonder how it can get to this stage, without it going to some
independent body for a decision.

£15000 seems awfully cheap for an extension, if the de-roofed bit is the
extension.

What happened to the builder who demolished the unpaid
for porch last year?

He set up his own website.

http://roguecustomer.com/

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harry Bloomfield wrote:
ARWadsworth presented the following explanation :
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/d...re/8267763.stm

No-one wins is my guess.

You have to wonder how it can get to this stage, without it going to
some independent body for a decision.

£15000 seems awfully cheap for an extension,

I thought that was the outstanding payment, not the full cost.

Tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Harry Bloomfield writes:
ARWadsworth presented the following explanation :
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/d...re/8267763.stm

No-one wins is my guess.

You have to wonder how it can get to this stage, without it going to
some independent body for a decision.

£15000 seems awfully cheap for an extension, if the de-roofed bit is
the extension. What happened to the builder who demolished the unpaid
for porch last year?

He already got permission from the owner (the Council) before he started
the demolition.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sep 22, 8:27*am, "Tim Downie"
wrote:
Harry Bloomfield wrote:
ARWadsworth presented the following explanation :
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/d...re/8267763.stm

No-one wins is my guess.

You have to wonder how it can get to this stage, without it going to
some independent body for a decision.

£15000 seems awfully cheap for an extension,

I thought that was the outstanding payment, not the full cost.

"The dispute over a £15,000 extension".

MBQ

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Man at B&Q wrote:
On Sep 22, 8:27 am, "Tim Downie"
wrote:
Harry Bloomfield wrote:
ARWadsworth presented the following explanation :
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/d...re/8267763.stm

No-one wins is my guess.

You have to wonder how it can get to this stage, without it going to
some independent body for a decision.

£15000 seems awfully cheap for an extension,

I thought that was the outstanding payment, not the full cost.

"The dispute over a £15,000 extension".

""He was on a fixed fee, of which he received just over three quarters of
the money and he hadn't got the finances to progress the works
satisfactorily.""

It seems more likely to me that it was a £60,000 extension with £15,000
outstanding despite what was said elsewhere.

Tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARWadsworth wrote:
"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
k...
ARWadsworth presented the following explanation :
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/d...re/8267763.stm

No-one wins is my guess.

You have to wonder how it can get to this stage, without it going to
some independent body for a decision.

£15000 seems awfully cheap for an extension, if the de-roofed bit is
the extension.

What happened to the builder who demolished the unpaid
for porch last year?

He set up his own website.

http://roguecustomer.com/

About time too.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
om...
ARWadsworth wrote:
"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
k...
ARWadsworth presented the following explanation :
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/d...re/8267763.stm

No-one wins is my guess.

You have to wonder how it can get to this stage, without it going to
some independent body for a decision.

£15000 seems awfully cheap for an extension, if the de-roofed bit is
the extension.

What happened to the builder who demolished the unpaid
for porch last year?

He set up his own website.

http://roguecustomer.com/

About time too.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Last chance to watch

http://www.itv.com/ITVPlayer/Video/d...&Filter=100300

The fat chav

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman
wibbled on Tuesday 22 September 2009 19:15

ARWadsworth wrote:
"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
k...
ARWadsworth presented the following explanation :
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/d...re/8267763.stm

No-one wins is my guess.

You have to wonder how it can get to this stage, without it going to
some independent body for a decision.

£15000 seems awfully cheap for an extension, if the de-roofed bit is
the extension.

What happened to the builder who demolished the unpaid
for porch last year?

He set up his own website.

http://roguecustomer.com/

About time too.

Do you have many? (Rogue customers). Real rogues as opposed to slightly
awkward, cheap or otherwise a bit random?

--
Tim Watts
The ****artist formerly known as Tim S

Explaining magnetism to little children:
"The magnet has a boy end and and a girl end and a boy and a girl like to
hold hands. Magnets aren't gay so two boys or two girls push each other
away..."

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim W wrote:
The Medway Handyman
wibbled on Tuesday 22 September 2009 19:15

ARWadsworth wrote:
"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in
message k...
ARWadsworth presented the following explanation :
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/d...re/8267763.stm

No-one wins is my guess.

You have to wonder how it can get to this stage, without it going
to some independent body for a decision.

£15000 seems awfully cheap for an extension, if the de-roofed bit
is the extension.

What happened to the builder who demolished the unpaid
for porch last year?

He set up his own website.

http://roguecustomer.com/

About time too.

Do you have many? (Rogue customers). Real rogues as opposed to
slightly awkward, cheap or otherwise a bit random?

No real rouges - awkward, cheap and random yes.

What ****es me off are people who try to take advantage.

Typical call of its type, seems always to be a female of one ethnic origin;

Caller; How much would it be to do x, y &z?
TMH; £65.
Caller; Can't you do it for £50?
TMH; No, if I wanted to charge £50 I would have said £50.
Caller; Go on, you must be able to do it for £50.
TMH; Meet me at Tesco and I'll do £65 worth of shopping - if you can get
them to reduce it to £50, I'll do your jobs for £50.

I can't be arsed with them anymore.

The other type, again of a certain ethnic origin, give a list of jobs. I
might quote one days work for example, 'depending on what I find when I
start, but I'll complete as many as possible'.

Last time it happened I was changing some basin taps amongst other things.
Turned hot & cold water off, fitted taps, turned on cold, tried to turn on
hot, poxy gate valve failed in the off position. Nobodys fault, ****
happens.

Explained what had happened to client, off to Wickes for gate valve. Unable
to drain tank, rubber bungs in holes, large dust sheet, wet vac - did the
job live & got a little wet. Took a couple of hours.

Stayed on for an extra hour at no extra charge & finished all the jobs but
one - customer moaned like crazy and next day complained to Trading
Standards that I had charged her for a list of jobs & not finished them all.

No mention of her duff plumbing or the extra free hour of course.

98% are fine, reasonable nice people.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"The Medway Handyman" writes:

No real rouges - awkward, cheap and random yes.

What ****es me off are people who try to take advantage.

Typical call of its type, seems always to be a female of one ethnic origin;

Caller; How much would it be to do x, y &z?
TMH; £65.
Caller; Can't you do it for £50?
TMH; No, if I wanted to charge £50 I would have said £50.

at this point I'd say, no, it's £70 or nothing.

Caller; Go on, you must be able to do it for £50.

Now it's £90.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Andrew Gabriel
writes
In article ,
"The Medway Handyman" writes:

No real rouges - awkward, cheap and random yes.

What ****es me off are people who try to take advantage.

Typical call of its type, seems always to be a female of one ethnic origin;

Caller; How much would it be to do x, y &z?
TMH; £65.
Caller; Can't you do it for £50?
TMH; No, if I wanted to charge £50 I would have said £50.

at this point I'd say, no, it's £70 or nothing.

Caller; Go on, you must be able to do it for £50.

Now it's £90.

Done that

One customer was always trying to push down the price, not even one who
did a lot of business

I told him of he asked again, his price would go up 10%

and he did

so I did

"that's unfair"

"20% then"

he doesn't bother me much anymore

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARWadsworth wrote:
[...]

I have had one rogue customer this year. He was a builder.

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember Owain
saying something like:

On 21 Sep, 20:10, "ARWadsworth"
wrote:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/d...re/8267763.stm
No-one wins is my guess.

The story has an all too familiar ring to it. I wouldn't be at all
surprised if a tight ******* of a homeowner thinks he can get away with
short-changing the builder or plumber or spark.

This one doesn't look like it'll have ahappy ending either

Dunno why he didn't build it in Legoland in the first place. Seems daft
not to.