Posted to uk.d-i-y
No Name

Default Best Ear Plug?

Any suggestions for best ear plug for noise protection/comfort

Found this site with some suggestions

http://www.slate.com/id/2118800/

Thanks

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Will wrote:
Any suggestions for best ear plug for noise protection/comfort

What? Pardon? Speak up!

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Will wrote:
Any suggestions for best ear plug for noise protection/comfort

Found this site with some suggestions

http://www.slate.com/id/2118800/

Thanks

In the past I found ear plugs very uncomfortable an a relief
to remove, given the choice I would go for decent ear muffs.

--
Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you
realise you're wrong.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
Will wrote:
Any suggestions for best ear plug for noise protection/comfort

What? Pardon? Speak up!

YOU HEARD!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/09/09 21:05, Will wrote:

Any suggestions for best ear plug for noise protection/comfort

http://www.slate.com/id/2118800/

The two types I use are similar to the

Flents Quiet! Please

and

Howard Leight MAX

from that page, I use them for server rooms rather than DIY, but they're
pretty effective, I have used them as an alternative to going round and
decking the neighbours once or twice!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Will wrote in message ...
Any suggestions for best ear plug for noise protection/comfort

Found this site with some suggestions

http://www.slate.com/id/2118800/

Can't comment about the "solid" ones, but in a comparison of the PVC foam
against the polyurethane foam, I found the latter to be CFU, which is the
exact opposite of the website's results.

The polyurethane ones simply did not adhere to anything inside the ear and
would fall out at the slightest opportunity.

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 18 Sep 2009 21:05:33 +0100, Will wrote:

Any suggestions for best ear plug for noise protection/comfort

I bought some waxy ones from an airport once (I can snooze on planes
happily so long as I can drown out the roar of the air circulation
systems) - never again, they were crap and kept falling out.

The ones that are more like the material that those memory foam matresses
are made from seem to serve me a lot better. They still fall out once in
a while, but not too bad and they don't feel disgusting. Any DIY place
should carry them (last time I bought any in England I think they were
about 3 quid from Mackays up in Cambridge)

http://www.slate.com/id/2118800/

Nearly $200 for ear plugs? Okaaaaay...

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Will wrote:
Any suggestions for best ear plug for noise protection/comfort

Found this site with some suggestions

http://www.slate.com/id/2118800/

Thanks

I tried quite a few - and decided that the foam are the best for me.
Some companies offer sample packs.

http://www.snorestore.co.uk/acatalog/sample_packs.html

There is a technique to rolling and inserting some - once mastered they
work very well. In the end the Laser Lites would probably be my choice.
But it also depends on whether you are trying to maximise noise
exclusion or comfort. Or cost!

But I do find that wearing any is extremely isolating when my tinnitus
is bad.

--
Rod

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 18 Sep 2009 15:40:03 -0500, Jules wrote:

The ones that are more like the material that those memory foam
matresses are made from seem to serve me a lot better. They still fall
out once in a while, but not too bad and they don't feel disgusting.

I get on well enough with the disposable foam type. There is a bit of
knack to fitting. You do need to roll them down into a narrow
cylinder not just squidge 'em. Once rolled small quickly pop into the
ear canal and hold your finger gently on the end until the plug has
expanded a bit and isn't going to drop out.

Any DIY place should carry them

At a price, note these foamy things should only be single use. You
don't want an outer ear infection, they tend to be like tooth ache.
And you *REALLY* don't want an inner ear infection, that knobbles
your balance and puts you in bed not daring to move, not that you can
without feeling badly sea sick, falling over or both.

I normally use a pair of decent peltor ear defenders for noisy stuff,
saves stuffing things in your ear canal.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Nitromax® wrote:
Will wrote:
Any suggestions for best ear plug for noise protection/comfort

Found this site with some suggestions

http://www.slate.com/id/2118800/

Thanks

In the past I found ear plugs very uncomfortable an a relief
to remove, given the choice I would go for decent ear muffs.

Cant beat a good muff..

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jules wrote:
On Fri, 18 Sep 2009 21:05:33 +0100, Will wrote:

Any suggestions for best ear plug for noise protection/comfort

I bought some waxy ones from an airport once (I can snooze on planes
happily so long as I can drown out the roar of the air circulation
systems) - never again, they were crap and kept falling out.

I have slept through a 110dB rock band Jules. All it takes is fatigue..

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Nitromax® wrote:
Will wrote:
Any suggestions for best ear plug for noise protection/comfort

Found this site with some suggestions

http://www.slate.com/id/2118800/

Thanks

In the past I found ear plugs very uncomfortable an a relief
to remove, given the choice I would go for decent ear muffs.

Cant beat a good muff..

I beg to differ....

--
Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you
realise you're wrong.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Will wrote:
Any suggestions for best ear plug for noise protection/comfort

Found this site with some suggestions

http://www.slate.com/id/2118800/

Thanks

You'd need to give details of use. Personally I prefer ear defenders - you
can take them off more easily when not required. They keep your ears warm
too. ;-)

--
*Horn broken. - Watch for finger.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
,
Owain wrote:
On 19 Sep, 10:53, "Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:
You'd need to give details of use. Personally I prefer ear defenders -
you can take them off more easily when not required. They keep your
ears warm too. ;-)

Doesn't the Mrs take offence if you wear them in the house though?

Not provided you nod every now and again.

--
*Red meat is not bad for you. Fuzzy green meat is bad for you.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In uk.d-i-y, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Fri, 18 Sep 2009 15:40:03 -0500, Jules wrote:

The ones that are more like the material that those memory foam
matresses are made from seem to serve me a lot better. They still fall
out once in a while, but not too bad and they don't feel disgusting.

I get on well enough with the disposable foam type. There is a bit of
knack to fitting. You do need to roll them down into a narrow
cylinder not just squidge 'em. Once rolled small quickly pop into the
ear canal and hold your finger gently on the end until the plug has
expanded a bit and isn't going to drop out.

Any DIY place should carry them

At a price, note these foamy things should only be single use.

You can buy them in boxes of 200 on eBay for not very much money,
individually wrapped in pairs.

--
Mike Barnes

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.co.uk...
On Fri, 18 Sep 2009 15:40:03 -0500, Jules wrote:

The ones that are more like the material that those memory foam
matresses are made from seem to serve me a lot better. They still fall
out once in a while, but not too bad and they don't feel disgusting.

I get on well enough with the disposable foam type. There is a bit of
knack to fitting. You do need to roll them down into a narrow
cylinder not just squidge 'em. Once rolled small quickly pop into the
ear canal and hold your finger gently on the end until the plug has
expanded a bit and isn't going to drop out.

Any DIY place should carry them

At a price, note these foamy things should only be single use. You
don't want an outer ear infection, they tend to be like tooth ache.
And you *REALLY* don't want an inner ear infection,

How is an ear plug going to give you an inner ear infection? [and after 20+
trips to the ENT man, I'm a expert on inner ear problems ;-)]

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/09/09 12:30, tim..... wrote:

How is an ear plug going to give you an inner ear infection?

You put in your ear, take it out, leave it on the side for whatever
lurgy to settle on it and grow in the wax/skin left on the surface, then
put it back in your nice warm ear later to encourage growth, rinse and
repeat.

I have a friend who got such an infection (don't know where from) but he
had two 9 month stints off work and still walks with a stick.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 19/09/09 12:30, tim..... wrote:

How is an ear plug going to give you an inner ear infection?

You put in your ear, take it out, leave it on the side for whatever lurgy
to settle on it and grow in the wax/skin left on the surface, then put it
back in your nice warm ear later to encourage growth, rinse and repeat.

That's the outer ear.

In inner ear is the bit behind the ear drum (actually that's the middle ear,
the inner ear is even further in)

Under normal circumstances there is no route for anything, except
vibrations, from the outer ear to the inner ear. Infections in the
middle/inner ear gain entry via your throat.

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 19 Sep 2009 14:10:47 +0100, tim..... wrote:

Under normal circumstances there is no route for anything, except
vibrations, from the outer ear to the inner ear. Infections in the
middle/inner ear gain entry via your throat.

"Under normal circumstances"...

Once there is an infection it can spread through body tissues, some
infections are some what better at that than others.

Personally I'd not take the risk of getting an outer ear infection
(which are pretty unpleasant) for the few pence cost of a pair of
disposable ear plugs.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Nitromax® wrote:
Will wrote:
Any suggestions for best ear plug for noise protection/comfort

Found this site with some suggestions

http://www.slate.com/id/2118800/

Thanks

In the past I found ear plugs very uncomfortable an a relief
to remove, given the choice I would go for decent ear muffs.

I would agree. With a good quality ear muff you can hold a conversation
under two R.R. RB103 jet engines running at idle.

Just make sure you get the right ones for the job though. They come in
various degrees of quieting. Measured in dB's.

Dave

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:

At a price, note these foamy things should only be single use. You
don't want an outer ear infection, they tend to be like tooth ache.
And you *REALLY* don't want an inner ear infection, that knobbles
your balance and puts you in bed not daring to move, not that you can
without feeling badly sea sick, falling over or both.

Speaking as someone who has suffered lots of ear infections, I entirely
agree with you.

I normally use a pair of decent peltor ear defenders for noisy stuff,
saves stuffing things in your ear canal.

Agreement again. The only thing you should put in your ear canal is your
elbow. Try it ;-)

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article
,
Owain wrote:
On 19 Sep, 10:53, "Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:
You'd need to give details of use. Personally I prefer ear defenders -
you can take them off more easily when not required. They keep your
ears warm too. ;-)

Doesn't the Mrs take offence if you wear them in the house though?

Not provided you nod every now and again.

That could be dangerous and even worse, very expensive :-(

Dave

swapping an oven plug for a clothes dryer plug pstock Home Repair 14 October 8th 10 05:54 PM
DC plug of DMW-AC1 [email protected] Electronics Repair 0 February 23rd 06 02:57 AM
Rewire oven plug 3 to 4 wire, new home, plug it in and get sparks [email protected] Home Repair 3 August 16th 05 02:51 PM
OT - Here's a plug... DOC Metalworking 1 July 21st 05 07:13 PM
240 v plug zxcvbob Home Repair 5 November 22nd 04 01:36 PM