Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Fixing External Cladding

Large project to clad ... using Red Pine Thermowood (being delivered next
week)

Rather than fix it with hammer & nail, it would be much better to pneumatic
nail ... in fact Thermowood spec advises fixing this way to avoid splitting.

I have a 16g brad nailer .... is this suitable for the job ? ......... the
shiplap pattern means that nails will be going through only 10mm thick
Thermowood, into a 50x50 softwood batten.

Just wondering if 32mm Stainless brads would be strong enough, brads will
fire in no problem, just concerned about holding power as head is small.

The alternative would be to use a 10mm wide x 32mm long staple ... I have
the gun, but can't find a source of stainless staples unless I want to buy a
50,000 box at more than £150 (only need 4000)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17 Sep, 15:06, "Rick Hughes" wrote:
Large project to clad ... using Red Pine Thermowood (being delivered next
week)

Rather than fix it with hammer & nail, it would be much better to pneumatic
nail ... in fact Thermowood spec advises fixing this way to avoid splitting.

I have a 16g brad nailer .... is this suitable for the job ? ......... the
shiplap pattern means that nails will be going through only 10mm thick
Thermowood, into a 50x50 softwood batten.

Just wondering if 32mm Stainless brads would be strong enough, brads will
fire in no problem, just concerned about holding power as head is small.

I'd be happier using short full head framing nails for cladding if it
were me. You would be looking at £150+ for stainless though, plus
hire of a suitable nailer (Paslode easier to hire than air,
probably). Galvanised would probably be good enough for the lifetime
of thermowood if you were looking to skimp a bit.