Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Sds drills at B&Q

I was after a new SDS recently and went to B&Q and found a sds + drill
called the macallister 950watt sds drill, about 4kg at a guess, not
overly heavy and easy to use, chisels with hammer, drills, drills with
hammer and just drills modes, blwo moulded case, 13mm standard drill
chuck and key all for £79.99p

I was going to go with the Ryobi 6y50 watt one for the same price, but
after holding one of these and having a play it felt built to last, and
more importantly drilled beautyfully and effortlessly. I put up a sat
dish today, effortless and mounted a ceiling hook for a punch bag for my
teenage son who thinks hes rocky this month, effortless.

So far day one gets the thumbs up from me, and for £79.99 a bargain I'd
say. Although I have never heard of the brand, so took a chance. Chap in
B&Q said there good, but thats the sales bod who no doubt doesn;t know
what day of the week it is.

Also comes with a 3 year guraentee.

Anyone any thoughts on this drill or macalister products ?

I'll have a little google of them now I think. But very impressed with
weigth and drilling capabilities, really is top notch.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Peter smith wrote:
Anyone any thoughts on this drill or macalister products ?

Macalister is the 'new' B&Q brand. Replaces Performance Power.

--
*El nino made me do it

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Peter smith coughed up some electrons that declared:

[...]

I wouldn't touch the macalister with a bargepole. Rather have an ALDI
special...

I can vouch for Hitachi - a 2kg multifunction with a surprisingly useful
range of usefulness (it's light but efficient in its operation which means
it *seems* more powerful than it looks), if limited duty cycle (you'll fry
it pounding concrete for 30 minutes non stop) can be had for around 120
quid.

"Core" drills with a TCT core cutter upto 70mm (well that's what I've
tried - it might manage more) without any trouble in brick, concrete with
some trouble and probably will do larger in light block.

Cheers

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim S wrote:
[...]

Out of interest why is that Tim, the drills seems pretty good to me.
Actually I did try and get a lidle special the other day with no joy, so
off to b&q I went.

I can vouch for Hitachi - a 2kg multifunction with a surprisingly useful
range of usefulness (it's light but efficient in its operation which means
it *seems* more powerful than it looks), if limited duty cycle (you'll fry
it pounding concrete for 30 minutes non stop) can be had for around 120
quid.

"Core" drills with a TCT core cutter upto 70mm (well that's what I've
tried - it might manage more) without any trouble in brick, concrete with
some trouble and probably will do larger in light block.

Cheers

Tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Peter smith wrote:
[...]

Macallister is B&Q's own brand, like Cooke & Lewis kitchens & stuff.

Also comes with a 3 year guraentee.

Anyone any thoughts on this drill or macalister products ?

In general full of unecessary bells & whistles at the expense of basic
components.

I'll have a little google of them now I think. But very impressed with
weigth and drilling capabilities, really is top notch.

Any SDS drill is a godsend. Enjoy.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Peter smith wrote:
Anyone any thoughts on this drill or macalister products ?

Macalister is the 'new' B&Q brand. Replaces Performance Power.

Ahhhh, the sds 950watt drill seems very good for £80 does all I ask and
more ... I would have loved a mikita or dewalt sds but I could not
justify the cost for the occasional use. This seemed like a cost budget buy.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
Peter smith wrote:
[...]

I struggled and nearly killed my arm lol using my bosch hammer drill to
get some fittings into the kitchen wall. Taking near an hour to drill 3
fittings!!! Today I used the above drill took me 3 mins with little
effort. So thats me happy, and in the wifes good books

My first sds always wanted one, and decided to get one as I had a few
jobs to do at home.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Any SDS drill is a godsend. Enjoy.

Seems that despite limited SDS stock, Lidl are doing their bit to
revitalise the economy ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Peter smith coughed up some electrons that declared:

I wouldn't touch the macalister with a bargepole. Rather have an ALDI
special...

Out of interest why is that Tim, the drills seems pretty good to me.
Actually I did try and get a lidle special the other day with no joy, so
off to b&q I went.

I looked at some of the MacAlister stuff and it seemed crappy to me. I also
suspected it was a new "own brand" and I have a PP drill set. The drills
are passable, but definately on the ****ty end of passable. I suspected
this and bought it more for the case and having one size of every drill as
a starter pack. As expected, the useful sizes have either broken or blunted
and are gradually being replaced with DeWalt or Bosch.

Cheers

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Peter smith wrote:
My first sds always wanted one, and decided to get one as I had a few
jobs to do at home.

Only comment I'd make is that one is rather heavy. Won't matter for the
occasional hole - but it will be very tiring if used for chasing into
walls, etc.

--
*Save the whale - I'll have it for my supper*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Tim S wrote:
Peter smith coughed up some electrons that declared:

I wouldn't touch the macalister with a bargepole. Rather have an ALDI
special...

Out of interest why is that Tim, the drills seems pretty good to me.
Actually I did try and get a lidle special the other day with no joy, so
off to b&q I went.

I looked at some of the MacAlister stuff and it seemed crappy to me. I
also suspected it was a new "own brand" and I have a PP drill set. The
drills are passable, but definately on the ****ty end of passable. I
suspected this and bought it more for the case and having one size of
every drill as a starter pack. As expected, the useful sizes have either
broken or blunted and are gradually being replaced with DeWalt or Bosch.

If they're HSS drills Lidl have just done a set from 0.5 - 10mm in a flip
out steel case. Excellent drills - but worth the price for the case alone.
My local store had lots left yesterday.

Cheers

Tim

--
*Why is the man who invests all your money called a broker?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 16 Sep 2009 02:58:13 +0100, John Rumm wrote:

Also comes with a 3 year guraentee.

Often marketing for "no spares or support" ;-)

and 'post it back to us at more than it's worth' so that you just throw it
away.
--
Peter.
it's been flattened with an angel-grinder.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Peter smith" wrote in message
[...]

The Ryobi is better.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim S wrote:

I have a PP drill set. The drills
are passable, but definately on the ****ty end of passable.

It's pot luck with them. Some of the PP power tools were Ryobi tools
rebadged. Sadly they also changed the form of the battery packs so that
they are not interchangeable.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Steve Firth wrote:
It's pot luck with them. Some of the PP power tools were Ryobi tools
rebadged. Sadly they also changed the form of the battery packs so that
they are not interchangeable.

Wouldn't it be nice if all makers used the same design of battery so they
could be interchanged - if the same voltage? After all the cells inside
are standard sizes.

--
*Two wrongs are only the beginning *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Drills... Why? Joe AutoDrill Metalworking 24 October 19th 07 08:12 PM
SDS drills PJK UK diy 42 July 11th 05 02:20 PM
Oil Rig Drills [email protected] Metalworking 29 June 1st 05 07:10 AM
ANN: Decimal Equivalents, Drills, & Tap Drills For The Palm Carmine Castiglia Metalworking 0 January 13th 04 03:53 AM
SDS Drills [email protected] UK diy 37 November 6th 03 01:59 PM