Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Aldi router and table

Hi,

I understand that last Thursday's deals included a router and table. I
haven't been to see if my store has any left. Is it worth the journey?
Are they any good?

Thanks,
Stephen.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Stephen wrote:

Hi,

I understand that last Thursday's deals included a router and table. I
haven't been to see if my store has any left. Is it worth the journey?
Are they any good?

Thanks,
Stephen.

Looks like the same model they had last time around - if so ...
I bought one and it's fairly Ok. The only gripe I had was with the guide
system. The basic frame is a plastic moulding and the two 'wings' didn't
seen exactly straight to me - not far out but ...
In the end I made a replacement from some left over laminate floorboards - a
bit tedious but everything works fine now :-)

Alan
--
email ~= s/nospam//
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Stephen wrote:
Hi,

I understand that last Thursday's deals included a router and table. I
haven't been to see if my store has any left. Is it worth the journey?
Are they any good?

You might want to search the archives. ISTR something about the router not
fitting the table very well.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Alan wrote:
Stephen wrote:

Hi,

I understand that last Thursday's deals included a router and table.
I haven't been to see if my store has any left. Is it worth the
journey? Are they any good?

Thanks,
Stephen.

Looks like the same model they had last time around - if so ...
I bought one and it's fairly Ok. The only gripe I had was with the
guide system. The basic frame is a plastic moulding and the two
'wings' didn't seen exactly straight to me - not far out but ...
In the end I made a replacement from some left over laminate
floorboards - a bit tedious but everything works fine now :-)

Alan

Alan,

I bought the el-cheapo Aldi router table to do a one-off job at the
beginning of the year - and spent half a day making a new (straight) guide,
sorting out the 'bent' on-and-off feed tables, adapting the router table
fixing plate holes to fit the Aldi router that I bought two years ago [1]
and sorting out the electric supply cable so that I could use it without
having to fit a bloody great extension cable.

[1] The router tables were the same, but they altered the router
baseplate holes on the newer models - and they don't sell the old type table
baseplate as a 'retro-fit'.

All great fun, but it did the job after all that and is now in 'retirement'
sitting on the workshop floor buried under a pile of off-cuts.

Cash

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Stephen wrote:
Hi,

I understand that last Thursday's deals included a router and table. I
haven't been to see if my store has any left. Is it worth the journey?
Are they any good?

Thanks,
Stephen.

I think the router and table is on sale next week.

Today they have a biscuit jointer
-that's the one of their tools I havent got
cos i've never had one and i dont know what they do
or why i'd want one.

are they any use?

I did buy something at aldi today,
triangualr sanding discs
and drill bits which saw wiggles (according to the pic on the packet)

[g]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Aldi router and table and now biscuit joiners too

On Mon, 14 Sep 2009 21:45:59 +0100, "george (dicegeorge)"
wrote:

I think the router and table is on sale next week.

Today they have a biscuit jointer
-that's the one of their tools I havent got
cos i've never had one and i dont know what they do
or why i'd want one.

are they any use?

So far the reviews for the router table don't sound promising. That's
a shame because they are half the price of anyone else. I don't have a
router or table so was hoping this would be a cheap way to test the
water. I was looking forward to making my own skirting boards.

I don't have a biscuit joiner either, and like you I as thinking
whether I should get one but I wasn't sure whether I needed one or
whether I just wanted one because Aldi were selling them cheap.

As I understand it, and I may have got this wrong, the jointer cuts an
arc out of a piece of wood. If you are making a box then at any edge
there are two pieces joining. I think the idea is that you cut an arc
into each piece of wood and then you fit small wooden ellipses into
these arcs. It's a bit like a bigger version of using doweling and
these wooden ellipses are called biscuits. I think you can buy ready
cut biscuits or make your own. The biscuits are glued in place but I
think the water in the glue also makes the biscuits swell, so that
they hold the two pieces of wood together and since the biscuits are
inside the wood, the join is invisible. But I could be wrong about
some or all of the above!

I would be interested to know whether a biscuit joiner (Aldi or any
make) is worth buying too.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sep 16, 6:47*am, John Rumm wrote:

http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/powertools/biscuit.htm

I like em - quick and easy way of aligning stuff and reinforcing joints.

Thanks for the heads up on biscuit jointers. I have been thinking of
getting one for a while but the Aldi ones had sold out. Seems you can
pay £30 for the cheapos and around £200 for the makita/dewalt/bosch
models. In the end I've got a £50 SIP version from toolstation
(33775). Seems ok for build quality and has all metal front angle and
markings/notches in the right places. Has a dustbag which I think was
missing on the Aldi version.

Now to the biscuits! TS sell them in packs of 200 for about £7.
Fleabay have packs of the size 20 but what I'd like to buy is an
assortment of sizes in smaller quantities. Is there anywhere else that
sells them for reasonable prices.

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Starling" wrote in message
On Sep 16, 6:47 am, John Rumm wrote:

http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/powertools/biscuit.htm

I like em - quick and easy way of aligning stuff and reinforcing joints.

Thanks for the heads up on biscuit jointers. I have been thinking of
getting one for a while but the Aldi ones had sold out. Seems you can
pay £30 for the cheapos and around £200 for the makita/dewalt/bosch
models. In the end I've got a £50 SIP version from toolstation
(33775). Seems ok for build quality and has all metal front angle and
markings/notches in the right places. Has a dustbag which I think was
missing on the Aldi version.

Now to the biscuits! TS sell them in packs of 200 for about £7.
Fleabay have packs of the size 20 but what I'd like to buy is an
assortment of sizes in smaller quantities. Is there anywhere else that
sells them for reasonable prices.

Dave

bought my multi size pack from Axminster

Aldi Router Table dicegeorge UK diy 20 December 8th 07 04:38 PM
Aldi router table - router mounting question. Geo UK diy 7 October 27th 07 09:10 AM
Aldi router table - more! Lobster UK diy 2 October 7th 05 09:25 PM
Aldi Router and table compatibility. Can't see how to secure the router properly? Peter UK diy 63 October 7th 05 07:26 PM
Aldi router table. Chris Bacon UK diy 8 October 6th 05 01:19 PM