Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Cheap wallpaper strippers

Hi

Just wondered if anyone has used either of these cheapy steam
strippers from screwfix. Need something to strip two rooms then
probably won't use it again. So if it will do the job for 20 quid all
well and good, if not then happy to spend more.

Thanks

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/28643/...Stripper-2000W

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/30823/...Stripper-2000W
Posted to uk.d-i-y

BodgeIt wrote:

Just wondered if anyone has used either of these cheapy steam
strippers from screwfix. Need something to strip two rooms then
probably won't use it again. So if it will do the job for 20 quid all
well and good, if not then happy to spend more.

Not used either of those models; but at the end of the day these things
are really nothing more than an electric kettle with a rubber hose and
flat plastic steaming plate attached. It's hard to see how a dearer
model will do the job any better (although it might last longer overall).

I had many years' service out of my old Earlex model before it finally
gave up the ghost.

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

BodgeIt wrote:
Hi

Just wondered if anyone has used either of these cheapy steam
strippers from screwfix. Need something to strip two rooms then
probably won't use it again. So if it will do the job for 20 quid all
well and good, if not then happy to spend more.

Thanks

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/28643/...Stripper-2000W

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/30823/...Stripper-2000W

Basically a kettle element & a hose, not much technology. I've got a NuTool
one that works perfectly and was about the same price.

I'd go for the Earlex since they have been around for donkeys years & parts
would be easy to get. Nice long hose as well.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"The Medway Handyman" writes:
BodgeIt wrote:
Hi

Just wondered if anyone has used either of these cheapy steam
strippers from screwfix. Need something to strip two rooms then
probably won't use it again. So if it will do the job for 20 quid all
well and good, if not then happy to spend more.

Thanks

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/28643/...Stripper-2000W

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/30823/...Stripper-2000W

Basically a kettle element & a hose, not much technology. I've got a NuTool
one that works perfectly and was about the same price.

I'd go for the Earlex since they have been around for donkeys years & parts
would be easy to get. Nice long hose as well.

7 or 8 years ago when I bought one, Wickes own was obviously a
rebadged Earlex, but cheaper (indeed, cheapest I could find at
the time). Don't know which one Wickes sell nowadays though.
OTOH, they're all cheaper now than they were then.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12 Sep, 15:20, BodgeIt wrote:
Hi

Just wondered if anyone has used either of these cheapy steam
strippers from screwfix. *Need something to strip two rooms then
probably won't use it again. So if it will do the job for 20 quid all
well and good, if not then happy to spend more.

Thanks

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/28643/...er-Stripper/Di...

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/30823/...er-Stripper/Ea...

You should be fine, we have had a cheap Earlex for many many years.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 12 Sep 2009 10:28:51 -0700 (PDT), David
wrote:

On 12 Sep, 15:20, BodgeIt wrote:
Hi

Just wondered if anyone has used either of these cheapy steam
strippers from screwfix. *Need something to strip two rooms then
probably won't use it again. So if it will do the job for 20 quid all
well and good, if not then happy to spend more.

Thanks

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/28643/...er-Stripper/Di...

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/30823/...er-Stripper/Ea...

You should be fine, we have had a cheap Earlex for many many years.

Thanks for your replies guys.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 12 Sep 2009 15:20:26 +0100, BodgeIt wrote:

Just wondered if anyone has used either of these cheapy steam
strippers from screwfix.

Not those ones, but the Direct Power one doesn't state the hose
length. The Earlex has 12' which is a useable length. I also notice
that neither are on castors, I'd be concerned about pulling it over.
OK it's sealed and shouldn't deposit 4l of boiling water on the floor
or squirt boiling water out of the presssure relief vent or safety
valve but... Having to constantly shift the thing might be a PITA as
well.

I have an Earlex that is on casters and it nicely follows you about
the room. Looking at the earlex site now none of the current models
are on castors. It works does what it supposed to do, make this
another vote for an Earlex.

--
Cheers
Dave.

varnish strippers g Home Repair 14 December 10th 06 11:12 PM
Removing wallpaper border from painted (vinyl?) wallpaper Robert Campbell UK diy 12 May 23rd 06 10:20 AM