Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT-ish: resistor value solver

Does anyone know of an online utility that can calculate
what combination of series and parallel resistors are needed
to get a particular value?
Specifically, I'm trying to calculate the best way to get
close to 5250 Ohm, using E12 preferred values. Power consumption
is not an issue and I'd like the value to be +/- 2% as that's
the resistor tolerance.

I'm not looking for the answer, I'm looking for the way to
find the answer. There are lots of websites where you can
tap in resistor values and have it calculate the result, but
that gets long winded. I've got a combination that gives
5253R with 4 resistors, but I'd like to do better
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"pete" wrote in message
Does anyone know of an online utility that can calculate
what combination of series and parallel resistors are needed
to get a particular value?
Specifically, I'm trying to calculate the best way to get
close to 5250 Ohm, using E12 preferred values. Power consumption
is not an issue and I'd like the value to be +/- 2% as that's
the resistor tolerance.

I'm not looking for the answer, I'm looking for the way to
find the answer. There are lots of websites where you can
tap in resistor values and have it calculate the result, but
that gets long winded. I've got a combination that gives
5253R with 4 resistors, but I'd like to do better

...he..he - showing my age, but in the era of solid carbon resistors it
was very simple. Choose a value slightly lower than you want, then
with the Avo across it on Ohms file a nick in the carbon until it was
spot on. Excellent for making meter shunts and the like.

AWEM

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"pete" wrote in message
Does anyone know of an online utility that can calculate
what combination of series and parallel resistors are needed
to get a particular value?
Specifically, I'm trying to calculate the best way to get
close to 5250 Ohm, using E12 preferred values. Power consumption
is not an issue and I'd like the value to be +/- 2% as that's
the resistor tolerance.

I'm not looking for the answer, I'm looking for the way to
find the answer. There are lots of websites where you can
tap in resistor values and have it calculate the result, but
that gets long winded. I've got a combination that gives
5253R with 4 resistors, but I'd like to do better

I'm puzzled. Knowing nothing about electrickery I've Googled resistors,
found out what E12 means, got a table of what values are possible which
appear to be 10, 12, 15, 18, 22, 27, 33, 39, 47, 56, 68, 82 and so on in
further powers of ten.

So what's wrong with the following four in series, 4700 + 470 + 68 +12 =
5250 or am I missing something obvious?
--
Dave Baker

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Dave Baker wrote:

"pete" wrote in message
[...]

Missing the "Countdown" music in the background ;-)

It's the way I'd do it - you subtract the biggest and so on, however
the tolerances are cumulative - so if you used 1% resistors, you might
be fine, but lower tolerance resistors and it might be out by too much...

Have to say, it's been many years since I tinkered in electronics, but it
was rare to actually require something that precise (test system exepted)
- so a 4k7 or 5k6 would be tried...

Gordon
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
pete wrote:
Does anyone know of an online utility that can calculate
what combination of series and parallel resistors are needed
to get a particular value?
Specifically, I'm trying to calculate the best way to get
close to 5250 Ohm, using E12 preferred values. Power consumption
is not an issue and I'd like the value to be +/- 2% as that's
the resistor tolerance.

I'm not looking for the answer, I'm looking for the way to
find the answer. There are lots of websites where you can
tap in resistor values and have it calculate the result, but
that gets long winded. I've got a combination that gives
5253R with 4 resistors, but I'd like to do better

Have you Googled for one? 'resistor calculator prog' seems to give plenty
hits.

The one I use - on this Acorn - gives 82k and 5k6 in parallel at a 0.15%
error. With just two in series the best it can achieve is 0.95% (1k3 and
3k9)

--
*Why do they put Braille on the drive-through bank machines?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Gordon Henderson wrote:
In article , Dave Baker wrote:
"pete" wrote in message
Does anyone know of an online utility that can calculate
what combination of series and parallel resistors are needed
to get a particular value?

I'm puzzled. Knowing nothing about electrickery I've Googled resistors,
found out what E12 means, got a table of what values are possible which
appear to be 10, 12, 15, 18, 22, 27, 33, 39, 47, 56, 68, 82 and so on in
further powers of ten.

So what's wrong with the following four in series, 4700 + 470 + 68 +12 =
5250 or am I missing something obvious?

Missing the "Countdown" music in the background ;-)

It's the way I'd do it - you subtract the biggest and so on, however
the tolerances are cumulative - so if you used 1% resistors, you might
be fine, but lower tolerance resistors and it might be out by too much...

Surely if you used, say, 2% resistors the maximum you could be out in
total is 2% (high if they're all high or low if they're all low). In all
probability some will be high and some low so the total error will be
less than 2%.

Which brings me to the method where you find a nominal value of resistor
(or a couple combined) close to what you want and measure a few until
you find one where the actual value is near enough spot on.

--
Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Dave Plowman (News)
writes
In article ,
pete wrote:
[...]

The general rule for parallel friggery being:
Start with the standard value above the desired value and add a parallel
resistor from around a decade (x10) up, 56000 gives 5091, 68000 gives
5174 and as DaveP says, 82000 gives the closest at 5242.
--
fred
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08 Sep 2009 15:34:45 GMT, pete wrote:

Does anyone know of an online utility that can calculate
what combination of series and parallel resistors are needed
to get a particular value?
Specifically, I'm trying to calculate the best way to get
close to 5250 Ohm, using E12 preferred values. Power consumption
is not an issue and I'd like the value to be +/- 2% as that's
the resistor tolerance.

I'm not looking for the answer, I'm looking for the way to
find the answer. There are lots of websites where you can
tap in resistor values and have it calculate the result, but
that gets long winded. I've got a combination that gives
5253R with 4 resistors, but I'd like to do better

Use a spreadsheet.

Put the E12 values in a row at the top, and again in a column. At each
intersection of row/column put the formula for the combination you want
to try, i.e. parallel Rp = 1/(1/Rr + 1/Rc), or series Rs = Rr + Rc.

Pick the best result by eye.

OR

Take any 4k7 out the box. Measure it. Add approriate series resistor/s.
In the trade, this series resistor is labelled SOT (Select On Test).

Phil
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 08 Sep 2009 18:54:11 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
pete wrote:
[...]

Yes, there are lots of downloadable ones (that I presume do what I want).
However I'm looking for an online utility - one where I can go to a web
page that asks:
what value do you want to find?
what family of values (E12, E24 ...) to use?
how close do you want to be

and then it tells you that for a value of X, you need an A and a B in
parallel and a C in series - or whatever the answer might be. The ones
that google spits back merely calculate the result from values you
type in.
I've (easily) got this solution, but I'm looking for a more general
solution in the future. Although, in practice the answer is to
choose the next lowest value and add a preset (multi-turn for extra
accuracy) and tune for maximum smoke.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Al Al is offline

..he..he - showing my age, but in the era of solid carbon resistors it
was very simple. Choose a value slightly lower than you want, then
with the Avo across it on Ohms file a nick in the carbon until it was
spot on. Excellent for making meter shunts and the like.

Phew! It's not just me then ;-)

Al.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Gordon Henderson wrote:
In article , Dave Baker wrote:
"pete" wrote in message
[...]

theers a 5.1k resistor in E20 range.

Add a 150 and that's 5250
Add a 3 ohm and that's 5253

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Al Al is offline

Specifically, I'm trying to calculate the best way to get
close to 5250 Ohm, using E12 preferred values. Power consumption
is not an issue and I'd like the value to be +/- 2% as that's
the resistor tolerance.

Not an answer to your question, but sticking a 4k7 resitor in series with a
1k pot would be my solution.

Oh, and yes, programs to do exactly what you want have been around for
years. I wrote one. In Fortran. In 1979. I'm pretty sure I have the punched
tape somewhere around here ... ;-)

These days I'd just muck about in Excel and use goal seeking or whatever to
get the answer.

Al.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

pete wrote:
Does anyone know of an online utility that can calculate
what combination of series and parallel resistors are needed
to get a particular value?
Specifically, I'm trying to calculate the best way to get
close to 5250 Ohm, using E12 preferred values. Power consumption
is not an issue and I'd like the value to be +/- 2% as that's
the resistor tolerance.

I'm not looking for the answer, I'm looking for the way to
find the answer. There are lots of websites where you can
tap in resistor values and have it calculate the result, but
that gets long winded. I've got a combination that gives
5253R with 4 resistors, but I'd like to do better

There's lots of R calculators on the web but most just give one
answer, when what most people want, is a list of toleranced result
options, to pick and choose from. This prog is OK but has not a
specific "within 2%" sort.
(the best pair comes to 0.1% anyway!)
http://chris.gillings.com/resist.php
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Gordon Henderson coughed up some electrons that declared:

In article , Dave Baker
wrote:

"pete" wrote in message
[...]

I thought the E12 scale was specifically developed so you could get close
enough (TM) to almost anything you practically want with just two
resistors - series or parallel.

Or is that another factoid in my myth database?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim S wrote:

I thought the E12 scale was specifically developed so you could get close
enough (TM) to almost anything you practically want with just two
resistors - series or parallel.

Or is that another factoid in my myth database?

Each one is 20% more (roughly) than the previous one.

Andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
pete wrote:
Have you Googled for one? 'resistor calculator prog' seems to give
plenty hits.

The one I use - on this Acorn - gives 82k and 5k6 in parallel at a
0.15% error. With just two in series the best it can achieve is 0.95%
(1k3 and 3k9)

Yes, there are lots of downloadable ones (that I presume do what I
want). However I'm looking for an online utility - one where I can go to
a web page that asks: what value do you want to find? what family of
values (E12, E24 ...) to use? how close do you want to be

Right - sort of misread the question.

--
*Why do we say something is out of whack? What is a whack?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sep 8, 4:34*pm, pete wrote:
Does anyone know of an online utility that can calculate
what combination of series and parallel resistors are needed
to get a particular value?
Specifically, I'm trying to calculate the best way to get
close to 5250 Ohm, using E12 preferred values. Power consumption
is not an issue and I'd like the value to be +/- 2% as that's
the resistor tolerance.

I'm not looking for the answer, I'm looking for the way to
find the answer. There are lots of websites where you can
tap in resistor values and have it calculate the result, but
that gets long winded. I've got a combination that gives
5253R with 4 resistors, but I'd like to do better

People have suggested a main resistor plus a parallel tweaker
resistor, which is a fine way to go. A close main R plus a relatively
high value parallel tweaker can often get you there with just 2 Rs.

But one error to avoid is to calculate your tweaker r value using the
nominal value of the main R. Instead use the real value of the main R
to work out what tweaker R you need, and the result will be far more
precise.

For some apps you can use basic 5% Rs to get 1% accuracy, but for some
you cant. Wider tolerance Rs are so for 2 reasons. First is simply
selection, its cheaper to stick them in the E12 range than E24. The
other one is tempco, Rs do change value with temp, so if you keep your
R temp steady you can use cheap Rs for quite good accuracy.

PS one of the key ideas of the E ranges is that every real value of R
produced can be placed in a nominal value band and be sold.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

NT wrote:

PS one of the key ideas of the E ranges is that every real value of R
produced can be placed in a nominal value band and be sold.

I have to say that when I first discovered this fact, I was
struck by the sheer cunning of the arrangement.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Have dancing shoes, will ceilidh.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Champ wrote:
Tim S wrote:

I thought the E12 scale was specifically developed so you could get close
enough (TM) to almost anything you practically want with just two
resistors - series or parallel.

Or is that another factoid in my myth database?

Each one is 20% more (roughly) than the previous one.

that being the sort of tolerance on them anyway, when first introduced.

Its a log scale.

Andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Andy Champ wrote:
Tim S wrote:

I thought the E12 scale was specifically developed so you could get
close
enough (TM) to almost anything you practically want with just two
resistors - series or parallel.

Or is that another factoid in my myth database?

Each one is 20% more (roughly) than the previous one.

that being the sort of tolerance on them anyway, when first introduced.

Salmon coloured band for 20%?

--
Dave

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 8 Sep, 17:00, "Andrew Mawson"
wrote:

..he..he - showing my age, but in the era of solid carbon resistors it
was very simple. Choose a value slightly lower than you want, then
with the Avo across it on Ohms file a nick in the carbon until it was
spot on.

Works for film resistors too, you just need a triangular needle file
and work along the spiral groove (one slip and it's open circuit
though!).
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sep 8, 6:46*pm, Gordon Henderson wrote:
In article , Dave Baker wrote:

"pete" wrote in message
[...]

I think there's more than that missing here.

It's the way I'd do it - you subtract the biggest and so on, however
the tolerances are cumulative - so if you used 1% resistors, you might
be fine, but lower tolerance resistors and it might be out by too much...

Eh? 2% is 2%, whether it's (A + B) + 2% or ((A + 2%) + (B + 2%)).

MBQ

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 8 Sep, 16:34, pete wrote:

Specifically, I'm trying to calculate the best way to get
close to 5250 Ohm, using E12 preferred values. Power consumption
is not an issue and I'd like the value to be +/- 2% as that's
the resistor tolerance.

Is this one-off or production? Can you afford the time to measure
individuals.

You've already quoted a value to 1% precision, so this is either
excessive for the accuracy you need or else you can accept a rather
wider range of target values than simply 5250 alone. If you really
must have that, then you're looking at hand-selecting resistors from a
batch to get that close. Unless you really are going that close and
testing individual examples, there's just no point in serial
connection of 4700 and 47 resistors together: one's lost in the
tolerance of the other.

AFAIR, tolerances of cheap resistors are also non-Gaussian (owing to
sampling and sorting artefacts during manufacture), particularly so
for E12s and the higher tolerance bands. Otherwise it's a reasonable
assumption that tolerances add according to the classic Einsteinian
drunkard's walk rule of sqrt(n), i.e. two 2% resistors should be
treated as a tolerance of 1.414 x 2% or about 3%

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"pete" wrote in message
Does anyone know of an online utility that can calculate
what combination of series and parallel resistors are needed
to get a particular value?
Specifically, I'm trying to calculate the best way to get
close to 5250 Ohm, using E12 preferred values. Power consumption
is not an issue and I'd like the value to be +/- 2% as that's
the resistor tolerance.

I'm not looking for the answer, I'm looking for the way to
find the answer. There are lots of websites where you can
tap in resistor values and have it calculate the result, but
that gets long winded. I've got a combination that gives
5253R with 4 resistors, but I'd like to do better

I'd use 5.6k and a 82k in parallel. It's 8 ohms out!

1/5600 + 1/8200 = 1/5242

You should be able to get 1% resistors as well. Even with 1% the tolerance
would be 53 ohms.

QED

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Dave Baker wrote:

"pete" wrote in message
[...]

You're right. Brain not in gear.

Gordon

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andy Dingley" wrote in message
On 8 Sep, 16:34, pete wrote:

[...]

The tolerance of a resistor is the maximum extreme of measured resistance.
So if you combine 2% resistors, where in series or in parallel, the maximum
deviation of actual resistance either singly or combined is still only 2%.
As you suggest, the way resistors are selected means that the statistical
shape of the error is likely to be non-gaussian.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 9 Sep, 16:14, "Fredxx" wrote:

The tolerance of a resistor is the maximum extreme of measured resistance.

AIUI, it isn't - although this depends on the resistor technology.

Cheap resistors (carbon rod) were made by little more than the "bake &
sort" approach, so were individually measured and sorted. Tolerance
(which was pretty broad then) was an absolute limit, but the
distribution was sufficiently broad that you would frequently
encounter resistors close to the limits of this band.

High quality resistors are also measured and so have some hard cut-off
for tolerance.

For most modern resistors though (i.e. 1% & 2% films) production
process quality is such that they're now made "to spec" and the
resistors are made in separate batches for each value without needing
to be tested or sorted afterwards. Tolerance is however now based on a
Gaussian distribution (or close to it). It's also possible that a
resistor from the batch could be out of spec, but it's unlikely to be
so (some accepted large proportion of the batch will be). The 2%
figure is set at some number of standard deviations away from the
mean, such that 9*.*% of the resistors will be within that band.

So if you combine 2% resistors, where in series or in parallel, the maximum
deviation of actual resistance either singly or combined is still only 2%.

That only holds if the tolerance is an absolute. If it's a Gaussian,
it doesn't hold (but is still predictable, with a bit more maths)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Dave Baker wrote:

"pete" wrote in message
[...]

Actually, if the tolerances are randomly distributed , ten 10k 10%
resistors in parallel is actually a 1k 1% resistor. See monte carlo
analysis.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 09 Sep 2009 14:51:49 +0100, Dave A
had this to say:

Andy Champ wrote:
Tim S wrote:

I thought the E12 scale was specifically developed so you could get
close
enough (TM) to almost anything you practically want with just two
resistors - series or parallel.

Or is that another factoid in my myth database?

Each one is 20% more (roughly) than the previous one.

that being the sort of tolerance on them anyway, when first introduced.

Salmon coloured band for 20%?

ISTR that a salmon band indicated High Stability.

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Champ wrote:
Tim S wrote:

I thought the E12 scale was specifically developed so you could get
close
enough (TM) to almost anything you practically want with just two
resistors - series or parallel.

Or is that another factoid in my myth database?

Each one is 20% more (roughly) than the previous one.

that being the sort of tolerance on them anyway, when first introduced.

Salmon coloured band for 20%?

no band for 20%, silver 10%, gold 5%, red 2%. Other tolerance bands
are tighter spec.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y
bof bof is offline

In message , Dave Baker
writes

"pete" wrote in message
[...]

Well, 2% of 4700 is 94, which puts both 68 and 12 'within the noise' of
the 4700 resistor. The preferred way to do it used to be to use a number
of similar, but different, values of resistor to make up the value,
hoping that the tolerances of the different batches would even out in
opposite directions. I remember writing a program for the BBC computer
to do this, that gave recommended serial and parallel combinations.

--
bof at bof dot me dot uk
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 9 Sep, 16:14, "Fredxx" wrote:

[...]

This is a definition of tolerance as applied to resistors from the Vishay
website

Tolerance: The tolerance on delivery is the range within
which the resistor can deviate percentually from the value at
the time of delivery.

Electrical and electronic design rely upon absolute tollerances. For any
component where there is a gaussian tolerance, the datasheet would include
the standard deviations so the user could determine the probability that
99.9999% of resistors were within tolerance when they left the factory. Can
you cite any manufacturers datasheet, where they don't specify tolleance in
an absolute percentage form, but in a gaussian form?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Dave Baker wrote:

"pete" wrote in message
[...]

Maybe to a mathematician, but you can't rely on that kind of analysis
in the real world of engineering.

If they're from the same production lot then the actual values are
unlikely to be distributed randomly. ten 10k - 10% resistors still
make a 1k - 10% resistor.

MBQ
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 9 Sep, 16:14, "Fredxx" wrote:

[...]

Electrical and electronic design rely upon absolute tolerances.

They do not. I could cite you a hundred examples of how and why nearly
all digital electronics is actually made to a monte carlo statistical
model of tolerances. The aim is that, given Gaussian distribution of
(mostly time delays through the kit) 99.9% of the units will work within
the specified temperature range, and the 0.5% that do not are thrown
away, or sold off to cowboy board makers.

If cumulative worst case delays were used it would result in about 10
times more expensive kit. Or about 1/4 the current clocking speeds.
Whatever. Statistical analysis is THE way most large designs are done.
Most small designs do NO analysis for tolerance at all, until a batch of
semiconductors 'doesn't work'

The ONLY time I was required to do worst case analysis was in military
and avionic equipment, and even there, only for the most critical
elements. For the rest, it was simply tested over the temperature range,
and if it failed, it was fixed till it did not, by replacing parts.

For any
component where there is a gaussian tolerance, the datasheet would include
the standard deviations so the user could determine the probability that
99.9999% of resistors were within tolerance when they left the factory.

They would not, and they do not. I know. I spent a day measuring 1500
phototransistors. The spread was beautifully gaussian., with the top and
the bottom tails chopped off. Except for two, which had either slipped
through the manufacturers selection, or had in fact been thrown in to
'make up the numbers' since the manufacturer did specify 'no more than
tow parts per thousand out of spec' Hmm.

I did this because I needed to establish whether or not a particular
circuit could be produced without recourse to setting up
potentiometers, and whether or not any in spec transistor would work.,
Fortunately the answer was yes to both.

That's semiconductors, where you get pretty much perfect gaussian
distribution.

Resisrorors are a different kettle of fish. Currently resistors are made
on machines that actually cut a spiral groove in a carbon film on a
ceramic substrate. You set the desired resistance on the machine and it
simply makes them up to as near an exact figure as the machine is
capable of. In general that's better than 1%, so although you do get a
gaussian distribution, its a very narrow one. It seldom exctends over
the full range allowed by the tolerance. In fact ion a givenm batch of
say 1000 resistors, its likely that e.g. a 1k will all be 1.03k or
something, plus minus a shade, that being the way the machine spat them
out. With the occasional odd one out, that clearly slipped into the bin
during manufacture from somewhere else ;-)

None of this is mentioned on any data sheet, because to do so would pin
the manufacturer down to a tighter spec than is needed in most cases.

With resitosrs, apart from a few instances, they can vary enormously
without affecting the circuits final performance. Only in a few cases do
you need precision, and those few case are catered for by specially
selected precision resistors, or setting up with a trim pot.

Can
you cite any manufacturers datasheet, where they don't specify tolleance in
an absolute percentage form, but in a gaussian form?

Of course not. But that means nothing. Beyond the fact that they have
selected examples OUTSIDE tolerance and called them something else.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Dave Baker wrote:
"pete" wrote in message
[...]

Oh dear. You had better tell Boeing, NASA, IMB, INTEL and everyone else
who uses it all the time.

If they're from the same production lot then the actual values are
unlikely to be distributed randomly. ten 10k - 10% resistors still
make a 1k - 10% resistor.

worst case perhaps, bit in practice its likely to be a lot closer.

The chances of getting 10 resistors ALL out by the same maximum
tolerance is the tenth power of the chances of geting one out that far,
given *uniform* distribution.

Given Gaussian, its *even smaller*.

In real life. engineering design consists in reducing the probability of
failure to below the probability of failure of the leasts reducible
other issue, and provided that is acceptable, building it. The
improbable failures are tested for, and if tests are passed, then the
subassembly is fit for purpose.

At least one piece of Acorn hardware is known to have a bug that will
cause it to crash every ten years or so of continuous use, on average.

However, that is insignificant compared with the software that would run
on it, or in fact its power supply and hard drives. Or indeed, its
estimated service life.

MBQ

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
At least one piece of Acorn hardware is known to have a bug that will
cause it to crash every ten years or so of continuous use, on average.

Can you give details out of interest?

However, that is insignificant compared with the software that would run
on it, or in fact its power supply and hard drives. Or indeed, its
estimated service life.

Loads and loads of mid '90s RPCs still in use. I've got two. HDs replaced
because of limited size - they didn't envisage how many pics etc we'd
store. But both the original Connors still work. One has a modified PC PS
because it was cheaper than buying the alternative larger Acorn one - but
the original didn't fail. They are built like tanks. ;-)

--
*When a clock is hungry it goes back four seconds*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sep 10, 2:14*pm, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

Electrical and electronic design rely upon absolute tolerances.

They do not. I could cite you a hundred examples of how and why nearly
all digital electronics is actually made to a monte carlo statistical
model of tolerances. The aim is that, given Gaussian distribution of
(mostly time delays through the kit) 99.9% of the units will work within
the specified temperature range, and the 0.5% that do not are thrown
away, or sold off to cowboy board makers.

You also have to account for process and voltage variation. Then you
test. then you "speed bin" the parts sorting thise that can be sold as
meeting varying specifications.

The crucial point is your admition that those rthat fail the grade are
thrown away. Thus in the customers hands the parts have a guaranteed
absolute tolerance that can be relied upon by the design engineers.

The implication from previous posts was that components that didn't
make the grade were still sold and the customer could not rely on
absolute tolerance.

If cumulative worst case delays were used it would result in about 10
times more expensive kit. Or about 1/4 the current clocking speeds.
Whatever. Statistical analysis is THE way most large designs are done.

********. When did you last do timing analysis on a multi-million gate
ASIC?

Most small designs do NO analysis for tolerance at all, until a batch of
semiconductors 'doesn't work'

******** again.

MBQ
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sep 10, 2:27*pm, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

At least one piece of Acorn hardware is known to have a bug that will
cause it to crash every ten years or so of continuous use, on average.

A little knowledge is dangerous. I would put it out of your mind
before you hurt yourself.

I could show you lots of examples of such hardware.

Any hardware that requires data to be synchronised between two
different clocks will have a finite Mean Time Between Failures. There
are well understood design practices to cope with this that do indeed
rely on statitics.

It has nothing, however, to do with calculating worst case propogation
delays through a logic path. When analysing a digital circuit for
performance worst case figures are used for max and min delay over
Process, Voltage and temperature. These figures are *always* used
cummulatively. A chain of 10 AND gates each with a max delay of 500ps
has a total delay of 5ns (ignoring routing delays for the purpose of
clarity).

You would not get very far in a job interview by trying to claim it's
anything less.

MBQ

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Sometimes they are..;-)

How else did Clive Sinclair make his first pile?

If cumulative worst case delays were used it would result in about 10
times more expensive kit. Or about 1/4 the current clocking speeds.
Whatever. Statistical analysis is THE way most large designs are done.

********. When did you last do timing analysis on a multi-million gate
ASIC?

a few years back. When did YIOU?

Most small designs do NO analysis for tolerance at all, until a batch of
semiconductors 'doesn't work'

******** again.

You haven;'t worked for small companies much either, have you?

MBQ

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

And you wouldn't get far in any manufacturing team designing like that.

IF you can get away with it, fine. You are safe, but its needlessly
restrictive, and costs more money, and prevents quite useable clock
speeds being achieeved.

MBQ

Resistor indep Electronics Repair 5 December 10th 07 01:22 PM
Resistor value help please. [email protected] Electronics Repair 2 June 14th 07 01:26 AM
Acer 77e resistor John Keiser Electronics Repair 0 June 12th 06 09:08 PM
Does anyone know the spec on this resistor? - resistor.jpg (0/1) Matt Russell Electronics 7 January 3rd 06 06:00 AM
resistor value James and Karen Stewart Electronics Repair 2 October 2nd 03 12:38 AM