busabus

Default Baxi Burmuda 552 Access Query

Hi everybody.

I've got a Baxi Burmuda 552 and the pilot light wont stay light.
Seems logical the first place to look is the thermocouple, but I can't
get to the git. Does anyone know an easy way of getting to it, for
example a secret panel that comes off nice an easily? I've got the
smallest bent needle nose pliers I can find but they're still too big
to turn the nuts.

I've got a picture here http://www.djwhiting.com/boiler.jpg and I've
highlighted what I can of the thermocouple.

Is the thermostat assembly easy to remove, and would that make it any
more accessible? The gas fittings look pretty simple connectors, so
as long as they're no worse than water I should be ok.

Any help or advice, even if it's get a gas fitter in, would be
gratefully appreciated.

Daniel
tarquinlinbin

On 20 Oct 2003 12:23:04 -0700, (busabus) wrote:

Hi everybody.

I've got a Baxi Burmuda 552 and the pilot light wont stay light.
Seems logical the first place to look is the thermocouple, but I can't
get to the git. Does anyone know an easy way of getting to it, for
example a secret panel that comes off nice an easily? I've got the
smallest bent needle nose pliers I can find but they're still too big
to turn the nuts.

I've got a picture here
http://www.djwhiting.com/boiler.jpg and I've
highlighted what I can of the thermocouple.

Is the thermostat assembly easy to remove, and would that make it any
more accessible? The gas fittings look pretty simple connectors, so
as long as they're no worse than water I should be ok.

Any help or advice, even if it's get a gas fitter in, would be
gratefully appreciated.

Daniel

you will have to remove the fire first..!!

Roger Mills

"busabus" wrote in message
om...
Hi everybody.

I've got a Baxi Burmuda 552 and the pilot light wont stay light.
Seems logical the first place to look is the thermocouple, but I can't
get to the git. Does anyone know an easy way of getting to it, for
example a secret panel that comes off nice an easily? I've got the
smallest bent needle nose pliers I can find but they're still too big
to turn the nuts.

I've got a picture here http://www.djwhiting.com/boiler.jpg and I've
highlighted what I can of the thermocouple.

Is the thermostat assembly easy to remove, and would that make it any
more accessible? The gas fittings look pretty simple connectors, so
as long as they're no worse than water I should be ok.

Any help or advice, even if it's get a gas fitter in, would be
gratefully appreciated.

Daniel

I don't know about the 552 specifically, but with the 2 (1960's vintage)
Bermudas which I have owned, if you wanted to get access to the burner
assembly and pilot light etc. you first had to remove the gas fire. Then you
had to disconnect the gas supply at the Crane joint and slide all the works
out from under the heat exchanger. I guess yours will be the same.

If you haven't got an installation manual, you may well find one which you
can download in .pdf format from Baxi's site at:
http://www.baxi.co.uk/literature/index.html

Roger

busabus

Thanks for the advice Roger, I can't find the exact fire on Baxi's
site, but all their radiant range seem similar enough so I should be
ok.

Next question is, where can I find what GB BS 6891 says regarding
purging? A quick peak at the BSI website suggests I need to pay £88
for a copy...! That's not going to happen!

Thanks again for the advice.

Daniel