Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Tile edges absorbent

Hi

Done some shower tiling with no beading used, so some tile edges are
visible. The tiles get wet a lot, and the tile biscuit is very porous,
soaks water up like a sponge. For some reason I didnt think of this
before doing it. So I need to stop the suction. Would the lithofin kr
grout protector do this? If not, what could I use?

cheers, NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

NT coughed up some electrons that declared:

Hi

Done some shower tiling with no beading used, so some tile edges are
visible. The tiles get wet a lot, and the tile biscuit is very porous,
soaks water up like a sponge. For some reason I didnt think of this
before doing it. So I need to stop the suction. Would the lithofin kr
grout protector do this? If not, what could I use?

cheers, NT

Sounds like some of the things I've done. It's always obvious in hindsight!

I would have thought that some sealer like lithofin would help.

SBR painted on 2 or 3 times in a 1:4 SBR:water dilution (until it stops
sucking) would definately work (I've just sealed a crappy old floor and
primed some new plaster as per BAL wall adhesive instructions.

My, does that stuff seal. It dries clear too. It will make the biscuit look
darker though.

It's getting it in less than 5l quantities that's harder - know anyone with
some?

Cheers

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sep 2, 2:29*pm, Tim S wrote:
[...]

I know, I'll try the lithofin on a test piece, see if its effective.

Cheras, NT

Diamond wheel tile cutter - poor cut edges Andy Dee UK diy 16 September 2nd 08 09:41 PM
How do you use tile spacers on tile with jagged edges? Mikepier Home Repair 4 December 28th 07 06:40 PM
using routing or cutting tools for insetting accoustic ceiling tile edges bent Woodworking 3 January 13th 07 08:38 AM
Ceramic Tile edges marc_ely UK diy 4 October 22nd 06 12:01 PM
Air brick made of absorbent material? Jake UK diy 23 November 23rd 04 12:30 PM