Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How do you use tile spacers on tile with jagged edges?

In the final phase of my kitchen remodel, I am going to put 4X4 tiles
on my backsplash. These tiles have a kind of tumbled look and the
edges are kind of jagged, which is the normal look for this tile. As
I was dry fitting them to see how it would look, I notice that using
tile spacers were difficult to use because depending on where you
would put them between the tiles, the space varies greatly because of
the rough edges. If I used a 1/8" spacer, the width could be as much
as 1/4". In some spots. It seems as if this would be better done by
eye.Or perhaps maybe the tile should be butt up against each other.
Anyone have suggestions?
Posted to alt.home.repair

I am not a professional tile installer but I have done a few installations
without problems. Here is what I would do:

1. I would lay tile on floor in the full area you plan to do and experiment
with different widths to see how it looks. You won't have the grout but its
better than nothing. Looks like you are already doing this.
2. I would not butt the tile because this could cause problems with
expansion. At minimum have the smallest spacer you can buy at the closest
point of 2 tiles.
3. Maybe call manufacturer to find out what the smallest gap they recommend
is. If they say you can butt it, you can.
4. Doing by eye is fine I think but pay a lot of attention to how things are
coming out as you go along.

I hope this helps!
Mihaela

"Mikepier" wrote in message
In the final phase of my kitchen remodel, I am going to put 4X4 tiles
on my backsplash. These tiles have a kind of tumbled look and the
edges are kind of jagged, which is the normal look for this tile. As
I was dry fitting them to see how it would look, I notice that using
tile spacers were difficult to use because depending on where you
would put them between the tiles, the space varies greatly because of
the rough edges. If I used a 1/8" spacer, the width could be as much
as 1/4". In some spots. It seems as if this would be better done by
eye.Or perhaps maybe the tile should be butt up against each other.
Anyone have suggestions?

Posted to alt.home.repair

I think my problem is I'm using the round "surface mount" spacers they
sell at Lowe's, like these
http://www.tile-eze.com/0310.html,
not the "x" shaped spacers that you can put underneath the tile like
these
http://hand-tools.hardwarestore.com/...e-spacers.aspx
The back of the tile looks a little more uniform than the front so
perhaps I should use the latter type of spacer
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 28 Dec 2007 10:01:36 -0800 (PST), Mikepier
wrote:

I think my problem is I'm using the round "surface mount" spacers they
sell at Lowe's, like these
http://www.tile-eze.com/0310.html,
not the "x" shaped spacers that you can put underneath the tile like
these
http://hand-tools.hardwarestore.com/...e-spacers.aspx
The back of the tile looks a little more uniform than the front so
perhaps I should use the latter type of spacer

Well, I've learned my 'lesson for the day'. I'll have to go check
the jobs I did 30 years ago- but my last tile job in this house was 20
yrs ago and the spacers I never removed have remained hidden in the
grout. Never knew they were supposed to be removed.

Jim
[and doubt I'll remove them next time- if there is a next time]
Posted to alt.home.repair

Mikepier wrote:

In the final phase of my kitchen remodel, I am going to put 4X4 tiles
on my backsplash. These tiles have a kind of tumbled look and the
edges are kind of jagged, which is the normal look for this tile. As
I was dry fitting them to see how it would look, I notice that using
tile spacers were difficult to use because depending on where you
would put them between the tiles, the space varies greatly because of
the rough edges. If I used a 1/8" spacer, the width could be as much
as 1/4". In some spots. It seems as if this would be better done by
eye.Or perhaps maybe the tile should be butt up against each other.
Anyone have suggestions?

Tumbled marble? I love the look, but was afraid they would be tough to
clean. As for placing them, I'd
lay them out on the floor with white paper under them to get the look of
grout. How about marking the
center of each tile - from widest points to widest points - and then
line up the centers? A piece of
masking tape on each tile to place a mark on. By lining up the centers,
you should get a rhythm going, and
should have a pretty good standard variation in the spacing. Never done
it, but looks good on paper )

Granite tile over steel surface, Tile Gurus please help. Eric in North TX Home Repair 4 September 28th 07 07:42 PM
using routing or cutting tools for insetting accoustic ceiling tile edges bent Woodworking 3 January 13th 07 08:38 AM
ceramic tile on ceiling - I don't want tile there anymore! moosictchr Home Repair 6 November 26th 06 01:37 PM
Ceramic Tile edges marc_ely UK diy 4 October 22nd 06 12:01 PM
remove ceramic floor tile replace with new tile [email protected] Home Repair 0 March 22nd 06 04:29 PM