Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Plastering a wall in bathroom

I've never pplastered a thing in my life well maybe my thumb after some
spirited hammering.

I have a wall in the bathroom which is a little firther back than the
rest of the wall and though hmmm might be time to level it out... Now I
guess I have to plaster it right ? what kind of plaster do I need ...
just wondering if there is anything specific needed as its in a bathroom ?

Also once it has dried is plaster paintable or doe it need some kind of
coating ?

I shall google a bit about it. But advice welcomed from the pros of diy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Peter smith wrote:
I've never pplastered a thing in my life well maybe my thumb after some
spirited hammering.

I have a wall in the bathroom which is a little firther back than the
rest of the wall and though hmmm might be time to level it out... Now I
guess I have to plaster it right ? what kind of plaster do I need ...
just wondering if there is anything specific needed as its in a bathroom ?

Also once it has dried is plaster paintable or doe it need some kind of
coating ?

I shall google a bit about it. But advice welcomed from the pros of diy

IMHO, it's not an easy skill to learn if you want that perfect finish a
pro gets - especially if you're going to just paint it. Easy enough to get
a level surface suitable for tiling, though.

--
*Why do we say something is out of whack? What is a whack?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message

?

Also once it has dried is plaster paintable or doe it need some kind of
coating ?

I shall google a bit about it. But advice welcomed from the pros of diy

IMHO, it's not an easy skill to learn if you want that perfect finish a
pro gets - especially if you're going to just paint it. Easy enough to get
a level surface suitable for tiling, though.

--
*Why do we say something is out of whack? What is a whack?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

What I have done is to use battens top and bottom of a wall and use a
straight piece of planed timber to ensure the wall is flat with backing,
either browning or sand-cement. When that has dried, the battens are
removed and filled in. It is possible to get a flat good surface with a
very thin top layer and making sure the wall is thoroughly wetted before
applying the top layer. Then work the layer until it looks polished,
wetting the top coat as when it's needed to keep it workable. It does take
a lot of practice though.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Peter smith wrote:
[...]

This simple looking job is damn difficult, I done a few bits in a house I
was renovating and all I can say is I am glad I am not renting it!
I can do most DIY jobs but plastering has me beat.
Read all you can but experience is the key. Its all about preperation,
correct mixture and timing and then knowing what you are doing.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
SS wrote:
[...]

Yup. Of course by all means have a go. Nothing to be lost apart from a few
quid and some time possibly wasted. If the worst happens just get a pro in
to do it properly.

--
*When cheese gets it's picture taken, what does it say?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sep 1, 10:17 am, Peter smith
wrote:
I've never pplastered a thing in my life

Put a floodlight on the floor shining up the wall. Then you can see
the irregularities while you are plastering, rather than later when
you've painted the wall with gloss paint!
..
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
SS wrote:
[...]

Getting it flat and level isn't difficult if you take time positioning
the battens or beads. Getting it smooth enough to paint is the difficult
bit, but you can always get a plasterer in for the final bit. IME they
don't quote by the day like other trades, so any work you do is likely
to reduce the price

Plastering - why leave an inch unplastered at bottom of wall? tester UK diy 10 March 29th 07 12:22 PM
Bathroom Plastering Yaz UK diy 5 November 30th 06 05:56 PM
Bathroom Wall Help Travis Jordan Home Repair 10 March 14th 05 04:21 AM
Plastering a wall. Bodysnatcher UK diy 13 November 24th 04 04:39 AM
Wall preparation before plastering + painting David Hearn UK diy 1 September 29th 03 11:50 AM