Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Seating specs

I've been asked to build some bench seating. I'm sure there are standard
dimensions for seat heights, widths, depths etc. Anyone know of a source?

Measured my 3 piece but I'd like to make sure.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Can't quote you an open source reference, but I have a copy of "Metric
Handbook. Planning and Design Data" Adler - Architectural Press.

Contains vast amounts of that sort of data. If you can be specific
about what you want, I'll look it up.

Have also been resizing some church pews this week, so can take some
measurements off those if you like.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

RubberBiker wrote:

Have also been resizing some church pews this week, so can take some
measurements off those if you like.

Except that every church pew I've ever sat in (admittedly not all that
many) has been ergonomically terrible :-)

Pete
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Pete Verdon d wrote:
Have also been resizing some church pews this week, so can take some
measurements off those if you like.

Except that every church pew I've ever sat in (admittedly not all that
many) has been ergonomically terrible :-)

That's to keep you awake. ;-)

--
*To err is human. To forgive is against company policy.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
,
Owain wrote:
On 27 Aug, 22:59, "Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:
Except that every church pew I've ever sat in (admittedly not all that
many) has been ergonomically terrible :-)

That's to keep you awake. ;-)

And because they were probably designed for people about 100 years
ago.

True.

My brother is an elder of the local kirk in Scotland and they fairly
recently decided to rip out all the pews and replace with movable seating.
Quite a large kirk that would seat some 500, and built in the mid 1800s.
And the majority of all that lovely pine had to be scrapped. A few were
sold to members of the congregation - but the rest were charged for
disposal.

--
*Out of my mind. Back in five minutes.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article
,
Owain wrote:
On 27 Aug, 22:59, "Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:
Except that every church pew I've ever sat in (admittedly not all that
many) has been ergonomically terrible :-)
That's to keep you awake. ;-)

And because they were probably designed for people about 100 years
ago.

True.

My brother is an elder of the local kirk in Scotland and they fairly
recently decided to rip out all the pews and replace with movable seating.
Quite a large kirk that would seat some 500, and built in the mid 1800s.
And the majority of all that lovely pine had to be scrapped. A few were
sold to members of the congregation - but the rest were charged for
disposal.

Maybe they didn't put enough feelers out. Easy enough to dismantle, and
the seats alone (usually 12" x 1") used to fetch good money from
restorers and the like.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Stuart Noble wrote:
My brother is an elder of the local kirk in Scotland and they fairly
recently decided to rip out all the pews and replace with movable
seating. Quite a large kirk that would seat some 500, and built in the
mid 1800s. And the majority of all that lovely pine had to be
scrapped. A few were sold to members of the congregation - but the
rest were charged for disposal.

Maybe they didn't put enough feelers out.

Being good Aberdonians I'm sure they did. ;-)

Easy enough to dismantle, and
the seats alone (usually 12" x 1") used to fetch good money from
restorers and the like.

It's what I thought. But perhaps only in some parts of the country.

--
*Verbs HAS to agree with their subjects *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 28 Aug 2009 13:11:55 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
Easy enough to dismantle, and
the seats alone (usually 12" x 1") used to fetch good money from
restorers and the like.

It's what I thought.

I know church seats are uncomfortable - but 12" x 1"? Ouch! :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 28 Aug 2009 07:49:07 -0700 (PDT), Owain wrote:

On 28 Aug, 15:07, Jules wrote:
I know church seats are uncomfortable - but 12" x 1"? Ouch! :-)

As the choirboys all said...

Owain

It's the priests' equivalent of the bishopric.
--
Peter.
it's been flattened with an angel-grinder.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Owain wrote:
On 28 Aug, 15:07, Jules wrote:
I know church seats are uncomfortable - but 12" x 1"? Ouch! :-)

As the choirboys all said...

Owain

At least choir stalls normally have higher backs. A lot of them ended up
as settles in pubs and wine bars

Re-seating a tap ClassA UK diy 3 January 28th 07 11:31 PM
Problem seating a monobloc tap in a bathroom basin Steve UK diy 2 January 1st 07 10:53 PM
Dining table seating clearances [email protected] Woodworking 15 August 22nd 06 03:33 AM
Seating a wobbly bath sink Billy Boy Home Repair 2 August 6th 06 08:40 PM