Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Lean-to roof - Tiles bedded on mortar on felt on wall

A relative has lean-to roof.
Concrete marley etermit tiles on batons, felt, T&G close-boarded,
rafters. 22-degrees.
Close-boards stop at the double-brick wall, tiles are then bedded on
felt, on mortar, with mortar edging.

Over the double-brick wall at a north-facing corner for about the
bottom 15" the mortar is falling out and the felt is disintegrating.
Interesting population of woodlice. The result is a damp stained
plaster-skim over browning for about 6-inch below and a plywood
cupboard has delaminated rather spectacularly over about 3-inches. It
is a kitchen below so damp loves company on a north facing wall re dew
point. Ventilation is now 220+270m3/hr, open gas appliance removed.

Q - How can I effect a reliable roof repair?

Is it a case of wedge & lift tiles, put impermeable membrane over the
wall on mortar, bed the tiles back on mortar.
What is the best membrane to use - felt rolls are too heavy for me to
handle.

At some point the roof needs redoing with more appropriate low-angle
interlocking tiles, I'm unsure if the ceiling fixed to rafters makes
that more difficult, but in any case putting the job off a while would
be useful since it will be me that has to subsidise. The other side
appears ok, at least relatively speaking.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
,
js.b1 wrote:
A relative has lean-to roof.
Concrete marley etermit tiles on batons, felt, T&G close-boarded,
rafters. 22-degrees.
Close-boards stop at the double-brick wall, tiles are then bedded on
felt, on mortar, with mortar edging.

Over the double-brick wall at a north-facing corner for about the
bottom 15" the mortar is falling out and the felt is disintegrating.
Interesting population of woodlice. The result is a damp stained
plaster-skim over browning for about 6-inch below and a plywood
cupboard has delaminated rather spectacularly over about 3-inches. It
is a kitchen below so damp loves company on a north facing wall re dew
point. Ventilation is now 220+270m3/hr, open gas appliance removed.

Q - How can I effect a reliable roof repair?

Mortar edging on its own is a bodge. Replace it with lead flashing.

--
*If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Sealing a Felt Roof Civet UK diy 0 June 23rd 09 02:29 PM
How to seal a small lean-to to a house wall Pete Verdon UK diy 9 June 12th 08 11:05 PM
Putting Flue throught lean to Conservatory roof. ado UK diy 4 June 1st 07 10:35 PM
Shed roof felt blown off, timber roof wet, should I... Marshal Anderson UK diy 2 December 8th 06 10:09 AM
Nail, screw or mortar concrete barrel roof tiles? MiamiCuse Home Repair 12 December 10th 05 06:53 PM