Posted to uk.d-i-y
ado ado is offline

Default Putting Flue throught lean to Conservatory roof.

Hi All,

We plan to replace the boiler in a property we just bought. The old
boiler is currently in the small kitchen. Attached to the kitchen is a
small lean too used mainly as a utility room. To free up space in the
kitchen we plan to move the boiler to an external wall but within this
lean too and have the flue coming vertically out the roof of the lean
too. The roof of the lean too is comprised of plastic sheets (I think
they are polycarbonate sheets, it looks like them).

We have got quotes from two plumbers, one saying we can go vertically
out the roof and another saying we can't because it's plastic, it
would melt so we must put the flue horizontal to the boiler out the
adjacent window. Also the adjacent single glass window needs to be
changed to dbl glazing.

Any advice on who is right? If we can go vertically what do we need to
buy for the roof to keep a waterproof seal.

Cheers
Ado

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 31 May 2007 05:51:39 -0700, ado wrote:

We have got quotes from two plumbers, one saying we can go vertically
out the roof and another saying we can't because it's plastic, it
would melt so we must put the flue horizontal to the boiler out the
adjacent window. Also the adjacent single glass window needs to be
changed to dbl glazing.

The flue won't get hot since even the inside compartment is only designed
to take warm and wet gas and is itself made of plastic so there should be
no problem with going through the polycarb roof. However the boiler &
flue manufacturer's instructions are final so if there's nothing specific
in the vertical flue kit installation manual then call the manufacturer
for advice.

As for changing a sg window to dg that installer is clearly talking out of
his botty.

--
John Stumbles

Bitwise, byte foolish
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Stumbles wrote:

On Thu, 31 May 2007 05:51:39 -0700, ado wrote:

We have got quotes from two plumbers, one saying we can go vertically
out the roof and another saying we can't because it's plastic, it
would melt so we must put the flue horizontal to the boiler out the
adjacent window. Also the adjacent single glass window needs to be
changed to dbl glazing.

The flue won't get hot since even the inside compartment is only designed
to take warm and wet gas and is itself made of plastic so there should be
no problem with going through the polycarb roof. However the boiler &
flue manufacturer's instructions are final so if there's nothing specific
in the vertical flue kit installation manual then call the manufacturer
for advice.

As for changing a sg window to dg that installer is clearly talking out of
his botty.

Especially since you would be reducing the ventilation if you did so. He
might have been thinking about condensation I suppose.

Peter
www.the-brights.net
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 01 Jun 2007 13:02:39 +0000, Peter Ashby wrote:

Especially since you would be reducing the ventilation if you did so. He
might have been thinking about condensation I suppose.

How would changing single to double glazing affect ventilation?

--
John Stumbles

Pessimists are never disappointed
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Stumbles wrote:

On Fri, 01 Jun 2007 13:02:39 +0000, Peter Ashby wrote:

Especially since you would be reducing the ventilation if you did so. He
might have been thinking about condensation I suppose.

How would changing single to double glazing affect ventilation?

A single glazing sash is thinner than that required for double as a
general rule so easy ingress of cold air.

Peter
www.the-brights.net

Putting on a new Roof [email protected] Home Repair 6 September 7th 06 12:16 AM
Attic fans w/o putting holes in the roof Kurt Ullman Home Repair 7 July 22nd 06 06:26 PM
Conservatory roof poppyo UK diy 6 March 9th 06 02:59 PM
Simple "Lean To" Conservatory Blinds (again). AlexW UK diy 0 June 29th 05 12:26 PM
Boiler flue placement from conservatory -what regulations could I be breakjing? Ted UK diy 4 March 18th 05 10:00 PM