Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Angle grinder for other purposes

I have been using a Black and Decker angle grinder for a couple of
years.
I need to know is it possible to get disks for sanding? I have a
couple of areas which were missed on my floor boards from a hired
sander and it just needs tidying up.
Cheers
Bean
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21 Aug, 09:34, B3any wrote:
I have been using a Black and Decker angle grinder for a couple of
years.
I need to know is it possible to get disks for sanding?

Yes. I've loads of these, almost never use them. Angle grinders run
too fast for most "sandpaper", so you get lots of problems with
clogging and burning. In particular, you get lots of edge burns where
you catch the circumference of the disk. If you do use them, there's a
funnel-shaped plastic backing pad that goes onto the grinder to
support the disk.

For metals (aluminium) I sometimes use 3M's somewhat triangular disks
and backing pad, as these avoid the edge problem. For wood though, I'd
use a drill instead of a grinder, running at around a tenth of the
speed.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
,
B3any wrote:
I have been using a Black and Decker angle grinder for a couple of
years.
I need to know is it possible to get disks for sanding? I have a
couple of areas which were missed on my floor boards from a hired
sander and it just needs tidying up.

A purely circular sanding action tends to leave marks. And an angle
grinder goes too fast for this anyway.

Keep an eye on Lidl - I got an excellent random orbit sander from them
with cheap discs too for not a lot. It makes a brilliant job of sanding
wood. But a belt sander is better if you need to remove more surface.

--
*Red meat is not bad for you. Fuzzy green meat is bad for you.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Aug 21, 9:34*am, B3any wrote:
I have been using a Black and Decker angle grinder for a couple of
years.
I need to know is it possible to get disks for sanding? I have a
couple of areas which were missed on my floor boards from a hired
sander and it just needs tidying up.
Cheers
Bean

angle grinders make the fastest stock removing sanders, but as
finishing sanders theyre a disaster. It would do anything other than
tidy it. If you're foolish enough to try it, you want a nylon backing
pad for an angle grinder plus fibre abrasive discs.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article
,
B3any wrote:
I have been using a Black and Decker angle grinder for a couple of
years.
I need to know is it possible to get disks for sanding? I have a
couple of areas which were missed on my floor boards from a hired
sander and it just needs tidying up.

A purely circular sanding action tends to leave marks. And an angle
grinder goes too fast for this anyway.

Yup, far too aggressive.

Keep an eye on Lidl - I got an excellent random orbit sander from them
with cheap discs too for not a lot. It makes a brilliant job of
sanding wood.

ROS are deffo the way forward, great stock removal with 40 grit discs,
almost belt sander but docile, rigt up to 240 for fine finish.

But a belt sander is better if you need to remove more
surface.

A certain knack is required to prevent over doing it & gouging the surface.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21 Aug, 09:57, Andy Dingley wrote:
On 21 Aug, 09:34, B3any wrote:

I have been using a Black and Decker angle grinder for a couple of
years.
I need to know is it possible to get disks for sanding?

Yes. I've loads of these, almost never use them. Angle grinders run
too fast for most "sandpaper", so you get lots of problems with
clogging and burning.

Flap-disks on the other hand are ****ing awesome.

Not that they are a floor finishing tool.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
B3any writes:
I have been using a Black and Decker angle grinder for a couple of
years.
I need to know is it possible to get disks for sanding? I have a
couple of areas which were missed on my floor boards from a hired
sander and it just needs tidying up.

As others have said, angle grinders run much faster than drills,
saws, etc. From a safety point of view, don't use any accessory
on an angle grinder unless it was designed to operate at that
speed, or you risk it flying to pieces at high speed and doing
you or someone nearby some real damage.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Converting your angle grinder to a bench grinder Matty F UK diy 17 July 30th 09 11:12 PM
Angle grinder. Bill UK diy 2 July 2nd 09 10:53 AM
WTB Angle Grinder Andy Mabbett UK diy 30 February 26th 06 01:36 PM
Angle Grinder use bhads UK diy 3 August 7th 05 03:27 PM
Angle Grinder... tony sayer UK diy 13 August 10th 04 02:54 AM