Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Dingley Andy Dingley is offline

Default Angle grinder for other purposes

On 21 Aug, 09:34, B3any wrote:
I have been using a Black and Decker angle grinder for a couple of
years.
I need to know is it possible to get disks for sanding?

Yes. I've loads of these, almost never use them. Angle grinders run
too fast for most "sandpaper", so you get lots of problems with
clogging and burning. In particular, you get lots of edge burns where
you catch the circumference of the disk. If you do use them, there's a
funnel-shaped plastic backing pad that goes onto the grinder to
support the disk.

For metals (aluminium) I sometimes use 3M's somewhat triangular disks
and backing pad, as these avoid the edge problem. For wood though, I'd
use a drill instead of a grinder, running at around a tenth of the
speed.