Posted to uk.d-i-y
AJ AJ is offline

Default Suitable fixing into thick plaster?

Hi all,

I want to fix a plasma screen bracket to a wall. Stone, I think, but
it's got a very thick (40mm) plaster layer on top.

I'm guessing that the plasic rawlplugs and screws supplied with the
bracket aren't really to be trusted.

Is a shield anchor such as the following suitable?

http://www.screwfix.com/search.do;js...WQ2CSTHZOSFFQ?
_dyncharset=UTF-8&fh_search=16000

It says 'max fixture 40mm', so I'd intend to drill a hole 90+40mm deep,
and have the anchor embedded 40mm under the surface of the wall.

In any case, how do you use these? Pre-tighten then unbolt and add your
fixture, or just tighten to grip with fixture in place?

And what's the different between the shield anchor, and a 'sleeve
anchor' ?

Cheers!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"AJ" wrote in message

Hi all,

I want to fix a plasma screen bracket to a wall. Stone, I think, but
it's got a very thick (40mm) plaster layer on top.

I'm guessing that the plasic rawlplugs and screws supplied with the
bracket aren't really to be trusted.

Is a shield anchor such as the following suitable?

http://www.screwfix.com/search.do;js...WQ2CSTHZOSFFQ?
_dyncharset=UTF-8&fh_search=16000

It says 'max fixture 40mm', so I'd intend to drill a hole 90+40mm deep,
and have the anchor embedded 40mm under the surface of the wall.

In any case, how do you use these? Pre-tighten then unbolt and add your
fixture, or just tighten to grip with fixture in place?

And what's the different between the shield anchor, and a 'sleeve
anchor' ?

Cheers!

I, personally, think the rawlbolt is a bit overkill, but it really depends
on the weight of the item you want to fix to the wall. If the television is
about a ton and a half in weight, or is to be subjected to violent stresses,
then by all means use the rawlbolts.

Look at the guage of screws that are supplied with the appliance, then take
the same, or slightly thicker, and make then longer to reach through the
plaster and into the brickwork. You still use a grip-plug hammered into the
hole you have drilled, of course, to make sure the screw grips properly into
the bricks. That's all there is to it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , AJ
writes
Hi all,

I want to fix a plasma screen bracket to a wall. Stone, I think, but
it's got a very thick (40mm) plaster layer on top.

I'm guessing that the plasic rawlplugs and screws supplied with the
bracket aren't really to be trusted.

Is a shield anchor such as the following suitable?

http://www.screwfix.com/search.do;js...WQ2CSTHZOSFFQ?
_dyncharset=UTF-8&fh_search=16000

Seems excessive, I would use these:
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/87941 top quality product and heavy enough
duty for a plasma. Uses a Torx bit so no danger of a screwdriver camming
out.

Other answers just for info:

It says 'max fixture 40mm', so I'd intend to drill a hole 90+40mm deep,
and have the anchor embedded 40mm under the surface of the wall.

That wouldn't work, the end of the anchor would pull flush to the
surface. Fixture thickness refers to the maximum depth of anything you
are mounting on the surface and still have the bolt threads mating with
the anchor.

In any case, how do you use these? Pre-tighten then unbolt and add your
fixture, or just tighten to grip with fixture in place?

No pretightening, just tighten through your fixture but as stated, these
aren't really what you want.

And what's the different between the shield anchor, and a 'sleeve
anchor' ?

Shield anchor was the original heavy duty expanding anchor, sleeve
anchors are more recent and use a smaller fixing hole, similar
properties.
--
fred
Posted to uk.d-i-y

fred coughed up some electrons that declared:

In article , AJ
writes
Hi all,

I want to fix a plasma screen bracket to a wall. Stone, I think, but
it's got a very thick (40mm) plaster layer on top.

I'm guessing that the plasic rawlplugs and screws supplied with the
bracket aren't really to be trusted.

Is a shield anchor such as the following suitable?

http://www.screwfix.com/search.do;js...WQ2CSTHZOSFFQ?
_dyncharset=UTF-8&fh_search=16000

Seems excessive, I would use these:
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/87941 top quality product and heavy enough
duty for a plasma. Uses a Torx bit so no danger of a screwdriver camming
out.

I can vouch for the Fischer plugs mentioned - they are very good.

I'll beg to differ on the other bit: nothing wrong IMHO with using the
expanding bolt. Assuming one doesn't hit a void they are extremely strong
and the only downside is the slightly larger hole.

Cheers

Tim