Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default help pls- rawl plugs in 1" thick plaster

hi-

I'm trying to fit some wide window archetraves. They are so wide I need
to fix them to the wall as well. The problem is that the wall has
probably about an inch of old plaster covering it,

Someone told me to use 3" screws and rawl plugs (I guess the idea being
that 3" screws would get back to the brick work).The problem is that my
rawl plugs are only 1" deep. They say to use a 6mm drill but the plugs
won't go beneath the surface of the plaster, even after being pushed
in- ie they remain flush with the surface of the wall. They obviously
don't even reach the brickwork behind.

Can someone please advise me as to what to do please?

thanks very much

Posted to uk.d-i-y

If its just for architrave then you dont need a strong hold. You have 2
easy options. One is to hammer the rawl plug in to below the surface so
that they go fully into the brick. The other is to use the old method
of a wooden plug (length of dowell) hammered into the hole and the
screwed into. I would avoid anything too strong (like straight
hammer-ins) as they might split the brick being so close to the brick
edge as they are.
Calum Sabey
(NewArk Traditional Kitchens 01556 690544)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Phil L wrote:
Drill the hole to 3 inches, put the plug in and put the screw slightly
into the plug, then tap it in with a hammer until the plug hits the
back of the hole, then screw it home

You have to make sure the screw can't hit the bottom of the hole though or
it won't hold properly.

--
*Everybody lies, but it doesn't matter since nobody listens*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

video on plastering TXXT123 UK diy 9 September 2nd 04 11:21 PM
Plaster Problem... Matt Durkin UK diy 19 July 5th 04 03:00 PM
plastering Jon W UK diy 12 March 8th 04 11:13 PM
Skimming over old plaster. Andy Hide UK diy 9 March 4th 04 12:25 PM
Plaster Skim Tips Andy Hide UK diy 4 November 12th 03 02:38 PM