Posted to uk.d-i-y
fred fred is offline

Default Suitable fixing into thick plaster?

In article , AJ
writes
Hi all,

I want to fix a plasma screen bracket to a wall. Stone, I think, but
it's got a very thick (40mm) plaster layer on top.

I'm guessing that the plasic rawlplugs and screws supplied with the
bracket aren't really to be trusted.

Is a shield anchor such as the following suitable?

http://www.screwfix.com/search.do;js...WQ2CSTHZOSFFQ?
_dyncharset=UTF-8&fh_search=16000

Seems excessive, I would use these:
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/87941 top quality product and heavy enough
duty for a plasma. Uses a Torx bit so no danger of a screwdriver camming
out.

Other answers just for info:

It says 'max fixture 40mm', so I'd intend to drill a hole 90+40mm deep,
and have the anchor embedded 40mm under the surface of the wall.

That wouldn't work, the end of the anchor would pull flush to the
surface. Fixture thickness refers to the maximum depth of anything you
are mounting on the surface and still have the bolt threads mating with
the anchor.

In any case, how do you use these? Pre-tighten then unbolt and add your
fixture, or just tighten to grip with fixture in place?

No pretightening, just tighten through your fixture but as stated, these
aren't really what you want.

And what's the different between the shield anchor, and a 'sleeve
anchor' ?

Shield anchor was the original heavy duty expanding anchor, sleeve
anchors are more recent and use a smaller fixing hole, similar
properties.
--
fred