Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Loft insulation and wiring

Reading a label on some insulation (thinking of adding a bit every few
weeks) and noticed the instruction to lift any electrical cables and re-lay
them above the insulation - for heat dissipation.

Is this really necessary of cables feeding bedroom lights? I would have
thought the wiring size would make it un-necessary.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John wibbled:

Reading a label on some insulation (thinking of adding a bit every few
weeks) and noticed the instruction to lift any electrical cables and
re-lay them above the insulation - for heat dissipation.

Is this really necessary of cables feeding bedroom lights? I would have
thought the wiring size would make it un-necessary.

How much insulation is between the cables and the ceiling - and how much are
you planning to throw over the top of the cables? (Nearest 100mm)

What rating of breaker do you have (6A is common)?

I or someone else will happily look up the relevant figures if you can
narrow the field a bit.

Any idea if the cables are 1.0mm2 or 1.5mm2 (Former is perhaps more likely)?

Cheers

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim S" wrote in message
.. .
John wibbled:

Reading a label on some insulation (thinking of adding a bit every few
weeks) and noticed the instruction to lift any electrical cables and
re-lay them above the insulation - for heat dissipation.

Is this really necessary of cables feeding bedroom lights? I would have
thought the wiring size would make it un-necessary.

How much insulation is between the cables and the ceiling - and how much
are
you planning to throw over the top of the cables? (Nearest 100mm)

What rating of breaker do you have (6A is common)?

I or someone else will happily look up the relevant figures if you can
narrow the field a bit.

Any idea if the cables are 1.0mm2 or 1.5mm2 (Former is perhaps more
likely)?

Cheers

Tim

Present insulation is bog standard from 1988 build - I guess about 4inches.
Wiring - not sure - but I guess you are correct.

I was planning to get some of that silver /plastic wrapped insulation that
most of the sheds sell and put it at 90degrees to existing runs - across the
joists. We have a lot of junk in the loft and doing it a bit at a time seems
the best way.

Loft insulation and wiring ajp UK diy 10 November 28th 08 08:18 PM
Loft insulation. Warm loft, colder bedrooms? [email protected] UK diy 2 October 27th 07 07:52 PM
Loft insulation help please Broadback UK diy 2 November 7th 05 08:06 PM
Insulation on loft roof - insulation blankets...? Simon Hawthorne UK diy 10 April 18th 05 09:55 PM
Loft insulation Broadback UK diy 3 October 24th 04 02:07 PM