Posted to uk.d-i-y
GMM GMM is offline

Default Silicone and plastic waste pipes

Just got back to this job after a few months of distractions. I tiled
the floor in our downstairs bog as part of refitting the whole thing.
The old waste pipe for the sink was a copper jobbie, cemented into the
floor. I cut the tiles/grouted around a new plastic pipe (with a
compression union just above the floor level, to take the new waste)
and sealed this around using silicone.
Coming back to it after a few months, I expected the silicone to have
cured etc but, although it has gone off well and filled the gap on the
tile side, it doesn't grip the plastic at all. I rather expected it
would grip the thing properly, so it would hold while I tightened the
screw thread.

Obviously I now need a Plan B. Is there something I should do to
treat the plastic pipe so the silicone adheres to it, or is there
another preferred strategy for this situation?

Can't see any potential for an angle grinder here, but you never
know.....
Posted to uk.d-i-y

GMM wrote:
[...]

If you have connected a plastic fitting to the copper then remove it and use
the plastic pipe directlly into the copper. Use solvent weld around the
plastic, about an inch and half up the pipe, and slowly twist the plastic
into the copper. The same depth as you wrapped the solvent.

The water is running from plastic to copper, so the joint is running in the
correct direction. The solvent will soften the plastic enough to allow it
to shrink into the copper. The sticky goo that comes off the plastic pipe
is enough to make a water tight joint between them.

Simples

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14 Aug, 16:00, "BigWallop" wrote:
GMM wrote:
[...]

And there's me about to suggest he roughens the surface of the pastic
with the angle grinder.

Connecting waste pipes to plastic barrels. matthelliwell UK diy 18 June 29th 09 12:27 PM
Plastic pipes v copper pipes! Vikki UK diy 11 November 26th 05 03:44 PM
Joining waste pipes richard UK diy 2 November 13th 05 11:23 AM
Silicone tape to repair burst pipes? toller Home Repair 9 May 7th 05 12:47 AM
Sound-insulating plastic waste pipes Dave Plowman (News) UK diy 20 July 29th 04 09:33 AM