Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default neighbour's extractor fan

The boundary of my property is at my neighbour's house wall. Her
kitchen extractor fan has been vented through this wall for some time
and when the fan is on the vent flaps open directly into my property
and it causes a real nuisance with cooking and cigarette smells coming
straight onto my patio and then into my house through any windows I
have open.

Last summer, realising that an extension and extensive renovations to
the property were imminent, I went next door and, trying to keep
things amicable, pointed out that the smells were causing a problem
and asked if the owner would reposition the vent elsewhere when the
kitchen was reorganised.

The building work has now almost finished- planning permission took
longer than expected- but the extractor vent has not been altered and
the smells continue. The architect involved has written to me to say
that it was not possible to re-site the extractor (unlikely as the
kitchen is enormous!) and sitting outside is not possible for me and
mine when the extractor is on- plus it has been murder in the hot
weather with all windows closed!

Does anyone know if there rules about the positioning of extractor fan
vents? Thanks