Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default neighbour's extractor fan

The boundary of my property is at my neighbour's house wall. Her
kitchen extractor fan has been vented through this wall for some time
and when the fan is on the vent flaps open directly into my property
and it causes a real nuisance with cooking and cigarette smells coming
straight onto my patio and then into my house through any windows I
have open.

Last summer, realising that an extension and extensive renovations to
the property were imminent, I went next door and, trying to keep
things amicable, pointed out that the smells were causing a problem
and asked if the owner would reposition the vent elsewhere when the
kitchen was reorganised.

The building work has now almost finished- planning permission took
longer than expected- but the extractor vent has not been altered and
the smells continue. The architect involved has written to me to say
that it was not possible to re-site the extractor (unlikely as the
kitchen is enormous!) and sitting outside is not possible for me and
mine when the extractor is on- plus it has been murder in the hot
weather with all windows closed!

Does anyone know if there rules about the positioning of extractor fan
vents? Thanks
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Aug 10, 11:42*pm, poll wrote:
[...]

Not sure about rules. Was it there when you bought the house?

Solution: What about fixing some ducting over the vent to lead the
smells a long way up? You could either do this by asking her if you
can fix it to the wall or you could just do so anyway.

Robert

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
,

*From:* poll
*Date:* Mon, 10 Aug 2009 15:42:31 -0700 (PDT)

[...]

Does this mean that the vent flaps are actually on/over your property when
open?

If that's the case, Personally, I'd position something directly in front
of the vent (can't fix anything to the wall if the wall is their property)
so that it prevents the flaps opening / blocks the vent.

Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
In article
,

*From:* poll
*Date:* Mon, 10 Aug 2009 15:42:31 -0700 (PDT)

[...]

What like a bigger fan blowing it all back in??

Bob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Aug 11, 10:25*am, Bob Minchin wrote:
wrote:
In article
,

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 10 Aug 2009 15:42:31 -0700, poll wrote:

[...]

Try a call to your local Council describing the nuisance. They probably
have quite limited powers but it's doubtful if they would pass plans which
actually created a nuisance or allowed one to continue.

A bit of inconvenience for your neighbour's (lazy /
inconsiderate) architect is not a legitimate reason to dump their odours
into your home.

Cic.

Using Ubuntu Linux
Windows shown the door

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10 Aug, 23:42, poll wrote:
[...]

Dear Polly
You have the right to reasonable enjoyment of you property
anyone disturbing that constitutes a nuicance in law

You could take this further by law and it will end up costing you a
fortune in time or money if you are foolish enough to use a solicitor
other than for technical advice to take the matter in hand as a
litigant in person

The advice to go to the council is good advice

Ask the BCO to investigate whether or not it complies with BR (it
probably does) with the escape of fumes being directly into your
property
If there is ANY fixing on the outside of the line of her wall
you can ask her to take it off and if she does not give notice that
you will
Make sure to give it back to her like you would any branch cut off!

This all presumes that you have failed to do it amicably which is the
best way
will have the right to erect a 'fence' 0.0000001 mm from her wall
right over her vent and you give notice that you will
You can then point out that his design will in that case not work and
advise by copying to her that she should not pay him/her until it does
work!

If they persist you are quite within your rights to install a duct and
fan to extract her stuff and duct it back to point at but not over her
garden fence just by a window or door she will want to use. You do not
intend to do this but this is what you could do and will then now
please go and be reasonable?

Chris

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,

*From:* Bob Minchin
*Date:* Tue, 11 Aug 2009 10:25:46 +0100

wrote:
In article

,

*From:* poll
*Date:* Mon, 10 Aug 2009 15:42:31 -0700 (PDT)

[...]

I hadn't thought of that - perhaps the fan could vent the toilet or stench
pipe :-)

Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
,
poll wrote:
The boundary of my property is at my neighbour's house wall. Her
kitchen extractor fan has been vented through this wall for some time
and when the fan is on the vent flaps open directly into my property
and it causes a real nuisance with cooking and cigarette smells coming
straight onto my patio and then into my house through any windows I
have open.

Last summer, realising that an extension and extensive renovations to
the property were imminent, I went next door and, trying to keep
things amicable, pointed out that the smells were causing a problem
and asked if the owner would reposition the vent elsewhere when the
kitchen was reorganised.

The building work has now almost finished- planning permission took
longer than expected- but the extractor vent has not been altered and
the smells continue.

Get a large pedestal fan and position it so it's blowing into the outlet.
Maybe with a shroud around it to direct the flow. If the neighbour's wall
is your boundary you're entitled to site it just about touching.

If a reasonable request gets ignored show them what you're suffering.

--
*Hard work pays off in the future. Laziness pays off now *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

poll wrote:

[...]

If, as a neighbour, your are impacted by the building work, the council
should have consulted you about the planning application, giving you an
opportunity to object or comment. Did they? If so, did you ask them to
ensure that the plans including re-siting the extractor before they were
passed? If not, why not?
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y
OG OG is offline

"Chris George" wrote in message
On 10 Aug, 23:42, poll wrote:
[...]

Unfortunately not, I think* the law gives you a right to the 'peaceful'
enjoyment of your property, and smells are not in themselves something that
impinges on your 'peaceful' rights. There is protection against some smells,
but only from 'industrial, trade or business premises', which makes it a
statutory nuisance under the 1990 Environmental Protection Act, and with
which your local authority is (I believe) duty bound to assist you.

* IANAL

[...]

I think the point is that the architect did nothing with the vent, so cannot
be responsible for the lack of change.

If they persist you are quite within your rights to install a duct and
fan to extract her stuff and duct it back to point at but not over her
garden fence just by a window or door she will want to use. You do not
intend to do this but this is what you could do and will then now
please go and be reasonable?

Chris

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 11 Aug 2009 03:05:45 -0700 (PDT), a certain chimpanzee, Chris
George randomly hit the keyboard and produced:

Ask the BCO to investigate whether or not it complies with BR (it
probably does) with the escape of fumes being directly into your
property

It complies, in that there's nothing in the Approved Document to say
where an outlet should or shouldn't discharge. I've had similar cases
before. The best I can do is to point out to the owner that if their
neighbour ever did build something against their wall, they'd block
the ventilation.

I'm sure that outlet is ugly, so you'll want to put some trellis
against their wall with some climbing plants on it, won't you?
--
Hugo Nebula
just how far from the pack have you strayed?"