Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Within 3 metres of neighbour's property?

About to (well..hopefully) build a single storey rear extension within
allowed spec.

Now as far as I'm aware I have to give notice to neighbours if the
extension is within 3 metres of their property. In my case my
neighbour's property is actually offset by at least 4 metres - i.e.
his house is much further forward to the street. But at the same time
we do share a wall which I presume is shared along the entire length
of both properties.

Is anyone aware where I stand in this case? Does the 3 metre rule
apply to their main building or simply to the party wall.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
About to (well..hopefully) build a single storey rear extension within
allowed spec.

Now as far as I'm aware I have to give notice to neighbours if the
extension is within 3 metres of their property. In my case my
neighbour's property is actually offset by at least 4 metres - i.e.
his house is much further forward to the street. But at the same time
we do share a wall which I presume is shared along the entire length
of both properties.

Is anyone aware where I stand in this case? Does the 3 metre rule
apply to their main building or simply to the party wall.

Maybe a stupid question but : Is there any reason you can't speak to them
about it anyway? Generally speaking disputes with neighbours are a bad thing
to have.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

About to (well..hopefully) build a single storey rear extension within
allowed spec.

Now as far as I'm aware I have to give notice to neighbours if the
extension is within 3 metres of their property. In my case my
neighbour's property is actually offset by at least 4 metres - i.e.
his house is much further forward to the street. But at the same time
we do share a wall which I presume is shared along the entire length
of both properties.

Is anyone aware where I stand in this case? Does the 3 metre rule
apply to their main building or simply to the party wall.

Your first action is to talk the local building control to make sure you
really are within the new permitted development rules and see if they have
any concerns about the distance. Having found out what you can do go and
talk to your neighbours about what your plans are.

Peter Crosland

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30 Mar, 17:15, "Peter Crosland" wrote:

Your first action is to talk the local building control to make sure you
really are within the new permitted development rules and see if they have
any concerns about the distance. Having found out what you can do go and
talk to your neighbours about what your plans are.

Peter Crosland

Thanks for your responses. I'll try building control again but I did
seem to get the impression they didn't want to be concerned on
anything regarding neighbours and disputes.

I have already given notice to both neighbours a month back. They were
also forewarned by a surveying company who search applications and
then send a load of scaremongering nonsense to them.
In my notice I did ask them to contact me over any concerns. But this
neighbour has instead contacted a company asking me for a proper
notice saying that they need full plans of the extension and proof of
planning permission.
As far as I was aware you don't need to supply detailed plans or show
any proof of planning. But this is more than likely surveyor speak for
making as much money as they can.

My fault for not making all the history clear but after this you can
see why talking to the neighbours isn't going to get very far.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30 Mar, 17:57, wrote:

I have already given notice to both neighbours a month back. They were
also forewarned by a surveying company who search applications and
then send a load of scaremongering nonsense to them.
In my notice I did ask them to contact me over any concerns. But this
neighbour has instead contacted a company asking me for a proper
notice saying that they need full plans of the extension and proof of
planning permission.

The Party Wall Act.

http://www.opsi.gov.uk/acts/acts1996..._19960040_en_1

They were
also forewarned by a surveying company who search applications and
then send a load of scaremongering nonsense to them.

Ambulance chasers; usually no qualifications in surveying (or anything
else), predatory pond life.

Beware of Secion 10 of the above act. If your neighbour has signed
their appointment letter and you then serve the required Party Wall
Notice on him (or them), he cannot then cancel their appointment. They
will act as in a dispute, as defined by the act. They act for the
neighbour, you have to appoint another surveyor and the 2 surveyors
appoint a thrid surveyor, all paid for by you. The legislation was
apparently drafted by the Marx Brothers' script writers.

They can stop work until you agree to their fees and they can get the
fees summarily awarded in the county court.

A far better option is to appoint an agreed RICS qualified surveyor.

If the neighbour has inadvertently signed up to their acting as in a
dispute, the dispute should be decleared on either house being sold
and will affect the value of both properties.

What part of the UK is this in?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30 Mar, 20:24, Onetap wrote:
On 30 Mar, 17:57, wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the information. I'm in London and I haven't communicated
anything to their surveyor as yet. But he seems a bit eager, has
already sent 2 letters. The last letter assuming I no longer wish to
proceed with works and advising his client accordingly. The neighbour
has also asked if I received the letter. I suspect they didn't want to
pay for the surveyors initial fee, hoping I would get back to him with
full details. Or just rubbing their hands on all the costs I'd be
lumbered with.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30 Mar, 20:55, wrote:
On 30 Mar, 20:24, Onetap wrote:

On 30 Mar, 17:57, wrote:

[...]

lumbered with.- Hide quoted text -

I think Section 1 applies to any construction on the boundary &
Section 6 to any structure within 3m.
The ambulance chasers normally emphasize the fact that they will not
charge the neighbour a fee, so they sign up unaware of what they're
committing themselves, and you, to.