Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Neighbour's flue question

Is it permissible for a flue to discharge across a neighbouring
property? I thought it was outlawed a while back?

Next-door neighbour had a new (Vaillant combi) boiler fitted last week.
The new flue exits their side wall (which forms the boundary between our
properties) turns up to about 12 feet and has a 90deg elbow at the top
which is angled at about 35 degrees to their wall (so it's not firing
directly at my wall).

The gap between our houses is roughly a metre and forms the access to my
garden. The walls are the side walls of both our single storey 'garage
with utility behind', topped by a standard pitched roof. The terminal is
quite near their apex, but due to a difference in height between our
properties, does seem to be aimed nicely at my (uPVC) fascias.... (and
as you can imagine with the cr*p weather we've been having today, the
plume has been quite prominent).

Should I be concerned about this? To whom would I complain, CORGI?
Building Control? (and risk it becoming 'a dispute' which would need to
be disclosed at some future sale).

I know it's not DIY and I know you're not lawyers, but there are some
knowledgeable folk on here and I would welcome any comments.

In any case, it's better than the original, which fired straight out of
their wall across my utility window and back door....

--
Fred
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , FredCarnot
writes
[...]

If it's an improvement over their previous arrangement (which you appear
to have accepted) why are you objecting?

Their installer seems to have done a pretty good job of minimising the
effect of the flue on your property.

It may not meet chapter & verse[*] but I think it's a good attempt.
[*] Ed will supply same if prompted I'm sure.
--
fred
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"FredCarnot" wrote in message
[...]

I'm due to get a combi fitted and needed access (from the neighbours ground)
for the CH engineer to fit the flue, to the side of our property, aiming
across (and offset) over the neighbours property.
The neighbour had no problem with access but wasn't too chuffed about the
flue. We've decided to flue it up through the roof (bungalow).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
fred wrote:
I'm due to get a combi fitted and needed access (from the neighbours
ground) for the CH engineer to fit the flue, to the side of our
property, aiming across (and offset) over the neighbours property. The
neighbour had no problem with access but wasn't too chuffed about the
flue. We've decided to flue it up through the roof (bungalow).

Probably the best answer - I'd not like a condensing boiler flue firing
across my property if you could see the plumes from a window, etc.

--
*Your kid may be an honours student, but you're still an idiot.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

fred wrote:
In article , FredCarnot
writes
In any case, it's better than the original, which fired straight out of
their wall across my utility window and back door....

If it's an improvement over their previous arrangement (which you appear
to have accepted) why are you objecting?

Because I thought it was verboten these days. Just because it's better
than what went before, doesn't make it automatically right, does it?

I didn't 'accept' the previous arrangement anyway, it had been like that
since the houses were built in 1984 (and permitted then I believe?). I
moved in in '96 and, as far as I'm aware, had no grounds to force them
to change it, however unpleasant I found it...

Their installer seems to have done a pretty good job of minimising the
effect of the flue on your property.

It may not meet chapter & verse[*] but I think it's a good attempt.

Up to a point. The passage was full of plume several times on Sunday
(murky day, very light winds). I wanted to know whether I should be
concerned was all....

[*] Ed will supply same if prompted I'm sure.

I'll wait and see if Ed replies then.

--
Fred

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
FredCarnot wrote:
Up to a point. The passage was full of plume several times on Sunday
(murky day, very light winds). I wanted to know whether I should be
concerned was all....

The plume is almost entirely pure water vapour.

--
*Stable Relationships Are For Horses.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

FredCarnot wrote:

Is it permissible for a flue to discharge across a neighbouring
property? I thought it was outlawed a while back?

SNIP

I posed a similar question earlier this year about aflue that
discharged across a narrow public footpath, impinging on the flank
wall of the house on the other side. I was essentially told to shut up
and get on with life - so expect something similar.

My neighbour's flue discarges along our boundary at about 2m high and
about 30 cms from it. When the wind is is the north or north-west,
fortunately rare, our kitchen and bathroom fill with boiler fumes. As
things have otherwise settled down after some other issues a few
years ago, we grin and breathe it in.

If you think you are going to have issues, they would best be dealt
with now rather than later....

Good luck.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 31 Aug 2008 19:58:21 +0100, FredCarnot wrote:

[...]

It sounds to me that the installers made some effort but not an effective
enough one.

Am I right in thinking that the (extended) flue over hangs your land?

What they should have done (I can't know how easy it was to do) is take
the flue to the back of the customer's wall and angle the plume over the
customer's garden away from your house or garden. It also sounds as if
they would have used a similar amount of materials. So long as the flue
was uphill all the way it would have been compliant. (I'm familar with
the rules for Vaillant ecomac VTK's). It might have gone over the max
permitted length (without upping to 80mm = £££) if done that way.

I expect they should have asked for your permission to do this but seeing
as there was already an existing flue directed (albeit less visibly) to
wards you this is a moot point.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ed Sirett wrote:
It sounds to me that the installers made some effort but not an effective
enough one.

Am I right in thinking that the (extended) flue over hangs your land?

Yes

What they should have done (I can't know how easy it was to do) is take
the flue to the back of the customer's wall

Probably too far. It's about 12 feet to the back corner and high enough
that it would have had to dogleg around the fascia. If they'd sited the
new boiler where the old one was, in the back corner of the room, they
could have knocked a new hole straight out through their back wall...

and angle the plume over the
customer's garden away from your house or garden. It also sounds as if
they would have used a similar amount of materials. So long as the flue
was uphill all the way it would have been compliant. (I'm familar with
the rules for Vaillant ecomac VTK's). It might have gone over the max
permitted length (without upping to 80mm = £££) if done that way.

I wondered if it could have been extended above the roofline and the top
angled back towards themselves, but it would have needed another couple of
elbows to get round the fascia and presumably that effects the length you
can have?

I expect they should have asked for your permission to do this but seeing
as there was already an existing flue directed (albeit less visibly) to
wards you this is a moot point.

Quite. As others have said, the plume is unlikely to be dangerous, it's
just that I'd got it into my head that it was not allowed.

Cheers Ed

--
Fred
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 31 Aug 2008 19:58:21 +0100, FredCarnot wrote:

Is it permissible for a flue to discharge across a neighbouring
property? I thought it was outlawed a while back?

When considering where it's OK to site a flue wrt a boundary you have
to imagine that the neighbour (in this case you) had already built an
extension or whatever right up to the boundary. If the proposed flue
position would be compliant in this circumstance then it's OK. Sounds as
if that's not the case.

Should I be concerned about this? To whom would I complain, CORGI?

Doubt they'd stir themselves unless it was done by an unregistered
installer.

You could always say you're planning to build an extension right up to the
boundary and ask them to move it ;-)

--
YAPH http://yaph.co.uk

A backstreet vasectomy left me sterile

Posted to uk.d-i-y

This might help:

http://64.233.183.104/search?q=cache...lnk&cd=1&gl=uk

There's a clickable link at the top of the page to a pdf version.

Gas Flue Question Ryan UK diy 5 April 9th 08 10:33 AM
stove/flue/register question : which bit gives ? jives11 UK diy 1 April 5th 08 04:31 PM
Chimney flue question Don Wiss Home Repair 5 March 14th 08 03:42 PM
Gas fire to fit on an external wall with a bent flue or a long (approx 1metre) flue david UK diy 2 October 22nd 06 01:54 PM
Flue CO2 question? Harry Bloomfield UK diy 6 January 5th 05 07:13 PM