Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default stove/flue/register question : which bit gives ?

Hi,

I have opened up our fireplace which had a flame effect gas fire. I'll
get it swept and inspected next week. Irrespective of whether it needs
a liner, I'm struggling with how all the pieces fit together. I plan
to install an old cast iron wood burning stove with 100mm diameter
flue outlet in the back. It came with a locking collar that fits in.

From here I think it will look like this, from stove working back I
think we have

stove -collar -length of flue pipe(horizontal) - right angle bend -
length of flue pipe (vertical) -Register plate - pipe pretrudes

through plate (?) - Possibly liner

Now my stove will sit on the existing hearth and while it's free
standing i.e in the room, I would want it pushed back into the
fireplace as close as possible .

My question is how do you fit all this together ? None of this stuff
is flexible as far as I can see. Do you have the make/break point at
the stove end collar, in which case how is that joint secured. Is it
like guttering where there is a certain amount of give in each joint
so you can bend and twist it ? I'd assumed not as these joints have to
prevent smoke escaping.

I guess the best analogy I can think of is a fitted gas oven , where
you have some flexible hose of the gas, you can make the joint, then
slide the whole thing back. I'm trying to imagine how this doesn't all
fall apart in a fairly inaccessible placeinaccessible place
Posted to uk.d-i-y
jim jim is offline

On 22 Mar, 19:05, jives11 wrote:
Hi,

I have opened up our fireplace which had a flame effect gas fire. I'll
get it swept and inspected next week. Irrespective of whether it needs
a liner, I'm struggling with how all the pieces fit together. I plan
to install an old cast ironwoodburning stove with 100mm diameter
flue outlet in the back. It came with a locking collar that fits in.

From here I think it will look like this, from stove working back I
[...]

hi
in general
fix the register plate to the fireplace last, tho have it over the
flue pipes so that you can slide it up into position and fix secure,
seal around reg plate sides and flu pipe with fire cement.
Joints use fire cement and where accesible self tapping screws.
I would say flue liners *essential* for regular use otherwise all
sorts of cons come into play.
Remember your chimney (and fireplace) was not designed for a slow-
burning, (relatively) cool flue-gas stove, quite the opposite if you
think abt it.

For best heat output (aka efficiency) you want to consider having the
stove projecting into room not pushed back into fireplace - stoves
work like big square radiators (with fires inside) so you ideally want
to get a good convection current going by having as much as poss of
the metal *in* the room, not tucked under a fireplace.

hope it helps
Jim

Stove register plate to pipe seal visionset UK diy 1 December 15th 07 12:35 PM
wood stove flue too hot? [email protected] Home Repair 9 January 16th 07 06:52 PM
Stove Register Plate VisionSet UK diy 6 October 28th 06 04:50 PM
Stove register plate? [email protected] UK diy 11 October 7th 06 01:45 AM
Stove "register plate" Tom W UK diy 6 September 21st 04 07:27 PM