Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Unidentified lathe bit...

I decided to go through the box of bits that I got with the ancient
lathe I was given. It seems like I have a lifetimes supply of cutters,
various face plates, a few widgets for fixing to stock and engaging with
same when turning stock between centres, plus the usual three and four
jaw chucks.

Now most of them I can make a stab at identifying, however there are a
couple of things there that I don't recognise. Here is one such:

http://www.internode.co.uk/temp/UnIDLatheObject1.JPG
http://www.internode.co.uk/temp/UnIDLatheObject2.JPG

Its probably about 2.5" by 1", and about 1/2" thick.

Any idea what one is supposed to do with it?

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:

I decided to go through the box of bits that I got with the ancient
lathe I was given. It seems like I have a lifetimes supply of cutters,
various face plates, a few widgets for fixing to stock and engaging
with same when turning stock between centres, plus the usual three and
four jaw chucks.

Now most of them I can make a stab at identifying, however there are a
couple of things there that I don't recognise. Here is one such:

http://www.internode.co.uk/temp/UnIDLatheObject1.JPG
http://www.internode.co.uk/temp/UnIDLatheObject2.JPG

Its probably about 2.5" by 1", and about 1/2" thick.

Any idea what one is supposed to do with it?

It looks like a parting off tool mounted on a platform which possibly
fitted on the rear of the carriage.
Don
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John Rumm" wrote in message
o.uk...

I decided to go through the box of bits that I got with the ancient lathe
I was given. It seems like I have a lifetimes supply of cutters, various
face plates, a few widgets for fixing to stock and engaging with same when
turning stock between centres, plus the usual three and four jaw chucks.

Now most of them I can make a stab at identifying, however there are a
couple of things there that I don't recognise. Here is one such:

http://www.internode.co.uk/temp/UnIDLatheObject1.JPG
http://www.internode.co.uk/temp/UnIDLatheObject2.JPG

Its probably about 2.5" by 1", and about 1/2" thick.

From the angle ground on the one end it could have been done to cut a
thread.
On the other hand it could just be a cutter holder with a random cutter in
it.
Are there any mounting points on the lathe to fit it to?

Any idea what one is supposed to do with it?

Chuck it away?
Use it as an excuse to find the FM?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:

I decided to go through the box of bits that I got with the ancient
lathe I was given. It seems like I have a lifetimes supply of cutters,
various face plates, a few widgets for fixing to stock and engaging
with same when turning stock between centres, plus the usual three and
four jaw chucks.

Now most of them I can make a stab at identifying, however there are a
couple of things there that I don't recognise. Here is one such:

http://www.internode.co.uk/temp/UnIDLatheObject1.JPG
http://www.internode.co.uk/temp/UnIDLatheObject2.JPG

Its probably about 2.5" by 1", and about 1/2" thick.

Any idea what one is supposed to do with it?

For carriage read cross-slide, looking closer at the pic, it may be for
parting off wood.
Don
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John Rumm" wrote in message
o.uk...

I decided to go through the box of bits that I got with the ancient lathe
I was given. It seems like I have a lifetimes supply of cutters, various
face plates, a few widgets for fixing to stock and engaging with same when
turning stock between centres, plus the usual three and four jaw chucks.

Now most of them I can make a stab at identifying, however there are a
couple of things there that I don't recognise. Here is one such:

http://www.internode.co.uk/temp/UnIDLatheObject1.JPG
http://www.internode.co.uk/temp/UnIDLatheObject2.JPG

Its probably about 2.5" by 1", and about 1/2" thick.

Any idea what one is supposed to do with it?

It looks like a home-made toolholder. The diagonal bit ought, then, to be
made from tool steel. A quick touch on a grinding wheel should tell you
that.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spark_testing

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"nightjar .me.uk" cpb@insert my surname here wrote in message

"John Rumm" wrote in message
o.uk...

I decided to go through the box of bits that I got with the ancient lathe
I was given. It seems like I have a lifetimes supply of cutters, various
face plates, a few widgets for fixing to stock and engaging with same
when turning stock between centres, plus the usual three and four jaw
chucks.

Now most of them I can make a stab at identifying, however there are a
couple of things there that I don't recognise. Here is one such:

http://www.internode.co.uk/temp/UnIDLatheObject1.JPG
http://www.internode.co.uk/temp/UnIDLatheObject2.JPG

Its probably about 2.5" by 1", and about 1/2" thick.

Any idea what one is supposed to do with it?

Not easy to tell from the photos, but if the tool bit is more or less square
section then it may be a home made version of the diamond tool holder or
tangential tool holder. This is a device where the end of the tool bit is
simply ground flat at an angle across the section, so that it looks like a
diamond shape. The rake and clearance angles are created by tilting the
tool bit rather than grinding them.

You can see a commercial version at
http://eccentricengineering.com.au/i...=2&Ite mid=18

and there’s a description of a home-made one at
http://www.gadgetbuilder.com/ToolHolders.html#Tangent

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Norman Billingham" norman.at.tumulus.org.uk wrote in message

"nightjar .me.uk" cpb@insert my surname here wrote in message

"John Rumm" wrote in message
o.uk...

I decided to go through the box of bits that I got with the ancient
lathe I was given. It seems like I have a lifetimes supply of cutters,
various face plates, a few widgets for fixing to stock and engaging with
same when turning stock between centres, plus the usual three and four
jaw chucks.

Now most of them I can make a stab at identifying, however there are a
couple of things there that I don't recognise. Here is one such:

http://www.internode.co.uk/temp/UnIDLatheObject1.JPG
http://www.internode.co.uk/temp/UnIDLatheObject2.JPG

Its probably about 2.5" by 1", and about 1/2" thick.

Any idea what one is supposed to do with it?

Not easy to tell from the photos, but if the tool bit is more or less
square section then it may be a home made version of the diamond tool
holder or tangential tool holder.

Not so much home made, as the normal way of making tool bits before insert
tools.

Even when I started using insert tools, I still used to make up a number of
shaped plunge turning tools, which were often a lot quicker way of making
complex shapes. I also have a couple of turning tools made from a length of
silver steel inserted into a file handle. They were used with a T tool rest,
to turn metal by hand, in much the same way as wood turners turn wood.

This is a device where the end of the tool bit is simply ground flat at an
angle across the section, so that it looks like a diamond shape. The rake
and clearance angles are created by tilting the tool bit rather than
grinding them.

If you look closely at the photos, there appears to be some top rake ground
in.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10 Aug, 06:59, John Rumm wrote:

a few widgets for fixing to stock and engaging with same when turning stock between centres

'dogs'

What is this unidentified counting thingy? Gareth Magennis Electronic Schematics 5 March 17th 09 01:39 PM
Unidentified compression driver Gareth Magennis Electronic Schematics 1 September 8th 08 11:05 PM
unidentified component radio10 Electronics Repair 4 July 27th 06 09:50 AM
Unidentified Timber IanF Woodworking 0 September 28th 05 11:50 PM
Unidentified timber IanF Woodworking 15 September 18th 05 12:38 PM