Posted to uk.d-i-y
dennis@home dennis@home is offline

Default Unidentified lathe bit...

"John Rumm" wrote in message
o.uk...

I decided to go through the box of bits that I got with the ancient lathe
I was given. It seems like I have a lifetimes supply of cutters, various
face plates, a few widgets for fixing to stock and engaging with same when
turning stock between centres, plus the usual three and four jaw chucks.

Now most of them I can make a stab at identifying, however there are a
couple of things there that I don't recognise. Here is one such:

http://www.internode.co.uk/temp/UnIDLatheObject1.JPG
http://www.internode.co.uk/temp/UnIDLatheObject2.JPG

Its probably about 2.5" by 1", and about 1/2" thick.

From the angle ground on the one end it could have been done to cut a
thread.
On the other hand it could just be a cutter holder with a random cutter in
it.
Are there any mounting points on the lathe to fit it to?

Any idea what one is supposed to do with it?

Chuck it away?
Use it as an excuse to find the FM?