Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default secateurs?

Hi,

I did ask this on the gardening group, but didn't get the answer I was
looking for ;(

I need to buy some new secateurs but I am confused by all the types
available. Specifically what are "bypass" secateurs and "anvil head"
secateurs and what are they used for?

Looking at them, the blades on bypass secateurs slide past each other
("bypass"), whereas on anvil secateurs the blades meet head on. Does
this make a difference?

Is one type better for small branches and another for larger branches?

Some claim to cut branches up to 20mm thick. Is this possible if you
are not Jeff Capes or is it marketing spin?

I understand you can get ratchet secateurs to cut bigger branches; are
they any good and at what branch size do they become useful?

I hope this is not off topic, as I see there is a section, albeit not
yet written, about secateurs in the wiki.

TIA
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Fred wrote:
Hi,

I did ask this on the gardening group, but didn't get the answer I was
looking for ;(

I need to buy some new secateurs but I am confused by all the types
available. Specifically what are "bypass" secateurs and "anvil head"
secateurs and what are they used for?

Looking at them, the blades on bypass secateurs slide past each other
("bypass"), whereas on anvil secateurs the blades meet head on. Does
this make a difference?

I think you have understood the (physical) difference perfectly! :-)

Personally I prefer "bypass" blades, I believe they hold the branch
better while cutting it but I think it's basically down to personal
preference. I don't *think* that the different types are aimed at
different applications (though I may well be wrong).

Is one type better for small branches and another for larger branches?

Not as far as I know.

Some claim to cut branches up to 20mm thick. Is this possible if you
are not Jeff Capes or is it marketing spin?

20mm is only .75" or so, I think good sharp secateurs will cut softish
branches (e.g. elder and new growth on other trees) without too much
wrist strength.

I understand you can get ratchet secateurs to cut bigger branches; are
they any good and at what branch size do they become useful?

We have two pairs of long handled (rather than ratchet) type things
for cutting larger branches. They quite happily cut branches of 1" or
more and, having long handles, can reach better than ordinary secateurs.

--
Chris Green

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Fred wrote:

Hi,

I did ask this on the gardening group, but didn't get the answer I was
looking for ;(

I need to buy some new secateurs but I am confused by all the types
available. Specifically what are "bypass" secateurs and "anvil head"
secateurs and what are they used for?

Looking at them, the blades on bypass secateurs slide past each other
("bypass"), whereas on anvil secateurs the blades meet head on. Does
this make a difference?

Is one type better for small branches and another for larger branches?

I'm not sure what the anvil type is intended for - I've always found them
pretty useless for *everything* - and personally only ever use the by-pass
type.

Some claim to cut branches up to 20mm thick. Is this possible if you
are not Jeff Capes or is it marketing spin?

That's pushing it a bit, unless the wood is particularly soft. I would have
thought that 12-13mm was more reasonably achieveable.

I understand you can get ratchet secateurs to cut bigger branches; are
they any good and at what branch size do they become useful?

Possibly, but I've never seen ratchet *secateurs*. I've got some ratchet
*loppers* which are quite good. They have extending [1] handles to give lots
of leverage - and can certainly cut branches of up to about 35mm. For
anything bigger than that, I use a reciprocating saw or chain saw.

[1] The handles extend telescopically from about 40cm to 70cm (estimated -
they're not within sight as I type) and can be twisted to lock in any
intermediate position.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

AFAIK (and others may differ), the bypass version gives a cleaner cut
on softer stems while the anvil version is better for tougher stems
but has more of a crushing action.

Have only ever used bypass secateurs and loppers though, so can't
confirm the above from experience.

I have a cheap pair of Hilka extending bypass loppers from Argos which
have done sterling service on branches over many years (much more
easily I'd guess than ratchet secateurs), although I think I've
finally managed to overtax them as one of the extending handles no
longer contracts fully.

HTH.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Roger Mills wrote:

Possibly, but I've never seen ratchet *secateurs*. I've got some ratchet
*loppers* which are quite good. They have extending [1] handles to give lots
of leverage - and can certainly cut branches of up to about 35mm. For
anything bigger than that, I use a reciprocating saw or chain saw.

I have a pair of ratchet secateurs - small enough to fit in my jeans
pocket. I can't remember the brand, but they work well.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

mike wrote:
AFAIK (and others may differ), the bypass version gives a cleaner cut
on softer stems while the anvil version is better for tougher stems
but has more of a crushing action.

I use bypass on live wood, and anvil on dead stuff.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

S Viemeister wrote:
Roger Mills wrote:

Possibly, but I've never seen ratchet *secateurs*. I've got some
ratchet *loppers* which are quite good. They have extending [1]
handles to give lots of leverage - and can certainly cut branches of
up to about 35mm. For anything bigger than that, I use a reciprocating
saw or chain saw.

I have a pair of ratchet secateurs - small enough to fit in my jeans
pocket. I can't remember the brand, but they work well.

Secateurs are good up to about 1/2"

For everything else., there is Chainsaw.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 6 Aug, 15:42, Fred wrote:

Specifically what are "bypass" secateurs and "anvil head"
secateurs and what are they used for?

Anvil will generally cut thicker things, but crush and chomp the ends.
Bypass leave a cleaner cut that's better for picking flowers or for
plants where there's a risk of infection entering. If they're cheaply
made, you'll usually find that cheap anvils are a better bet. Some
large loppers for timber branches (1" upwards) revert to bypass
because a woody stem with high crush resistance doesn't work well for
an anvil and might be more easily cut with bypass.

At the moment I like the orange handled WIlkinson Sword pruners.
Cheap, good carrying lock, and extremely good value for money. Their
geared mid-length handle loppers (18" or so) were particularly
impressive.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 6 Aug, 16:54, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

For everything else., there is Chainsaw.

Tesco own-brand folding pruning saw (lurid green, with a loop
handle). Japanese pull teeth and a tapered blade grind, so it's as
good as my 20 quid pruning saws. Only £3 too!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

S Viemeister wrote:
Roger Mills wrote:

Possibly, but I've never seen ratchet *secateurs*. I've got some
ratchet *loppers* which are quite good. They have extending [1]
handles to give lots of leverage - and can certainly cut branches of
up to about 35mm. For anything bigger than that, I use a
reciprocating saw or chain saw.

I have a pair of ratchet secateurs - small enough to fit in my jeans
pocket. I can't remember the brand, but they work well.

Secateurs are good up to about 1/2"

For everything else., there is Chainsaw.

Angle grinder substitute

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I asked here some time ago about buying replacement anvils for my
lopper. Extensive research revealed that, indeed, there don't seem to be
any spares in the country. The anvil is actually quite a standard,
small, fairly cleverly shaped casting, and making one from stock
materials would have been too much effort at my age. I have now got a
replacement, but cannot reveal the method on grounds of incrimination.

I like anvil for thicker stuff and bypass for the smaller, more delicate
cuts.

Of the bypass secuteurs (must look up how to spell it) here, the
Wilkinson ones are good, but the lock mechanism has worn prematurely and
I have to prune from below to stop them locking on every cut.
The Aldi green rubbery handled things were great, but something in the
garage has eaten all the squishy rubber off the handles on these and
some other Aldi garden tools.
The Lidl similar but even cheaper ones only lasted a few days before the
rivet holding the blade to the actuator failed. I wouldn't buy these
again.
--
Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andy Dingley" wrote in message
On 6 Aug, 15:42, Fred wrote:

Specifically what are "bypass" secateurs and "anvil head"
secateurs and what are they used for?

Anvil will generally cut thicker things, but crush and chomp the ends.
Bypass leave a cleaner cut that's better for picking flowers or for
plants where there's a risk of infection entering. If they're cheaply
made, you'll usually find that cheap anvils are a better bet. Some
large loppers for timber branches (1" upwards) revert to bypass
because a woody stem with high crush resistance doesn't work well for
an anvil and might be more easily cut with bypass.

At the moment I like the orange handled WIlkinson Sword pruners.
Cheap, good carrying lock, and extremely good value for money. Their
geared mid-length handle loppers (18" or so) were particularly
impressive.

After we bust our spear & jackson loppers, went out and got a Wolf pair. Not
telescopic, not ratcheting, just one of two selectable gearings and some
fairly long arms. They work really well, and feel less likely to break than
the other ones we've tried. I do like not faffing with the ratcheting
mechanism.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , S Viemeister
writes
mike wrote:
AFAIK (and others may differ), the bypass version gives a cleaner cut
on softer stems while the anvil version is better for tougher stems
but has more of a crushing action.

I use bypass on live wood, and anvil on dead stuff.

I agree with both the above which applies to loppers as well as
secateurs.

If you have a lot of annual pruning/lopping to do it is, IMO, worth
looking at Felco bypass secateurs and Bahco loppers.

--
Robert
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Fred" wrote in message
[...]

This afternoon did a 50mm branch using a cheap Lidl 'Anvil' type cutter with
extendable handles. Been using it all summer(what summer?) and it's still
cutting fine. I found the slide-over bypass types are good until the edges
blunt, which then causes a twisting reaction force during cutting.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"john jardine" wrote in message

"Fred" wrote in message
[...]

A few months back I bought an unusual tool from Lidl. It is essentially an
anvil cutter but the anvil is in the form of a hook and the blade moves out
away from the user as you operate the handle. I bought it for the novelty
value as much as anything else. It is fantastic!! I have cut hard live
wood up to 2 inches in diameter with no problem. It certainly gets rid of
that twisting effect that you get with many cutters when trying to cut
oversize branches.

Lawrence

Posted to uk.d-i-y

S Viemeister wrote:

I have a pair of ratchet secateurs - small enough to fit in my jeans
pocket. I can't remember the brand, but they work well.

We use Amtech ratchet secateurs and Felco pruning shears on the farm.
Branches larger than 3/4" get pruned with a decent pruning saw (Sandvik
seem to work well for us) and anything over a couple of inches gets a
chainsaw.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I'm not sure what the anvil type is intended for - I've always found them
pretty useless for *everything* - and personally only ever use the by-pass
type.

I carry an anvil type when trimming overhanging branches from the back of a
horse; slightly less chance of nasty damage if you fall off on to them!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

newshound wrote:
I'm not sure what the anvil type is intended for - I've always found
them pretty useless for *everything* - and personally only ever use
the by-pass type.

I carry an anvil type when trimming overhanging branches from the
back of a horse;

Bloody hell. What kind of horse is that then?

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
newshound wrote:
I'm not sure what the anvil type is intended for - I've always found
them pretty useless for *everything* - and personally only ever use
the by-pass type.

I carry an anvil type when trimming overhanging branches from the
back of a horse;

Bloody hell. What kind of horse is that then?

Dave, must you do that? This keyboard has been under the showr almost as
many time as me.

Dave

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:
newshound wrote:
I'm not sure what the anvil type is intended for - I've always
found them pretty useless for *everything* - and personally only
ever use the by-pass type.

I carry an anvil type when trimming overhanging branches from the
back of a horse;

Bloody hell. What kind of horse is that then?

Dave, must you do that? This keyboard has been under the showr almost
as many time as me.

He has a most inconsiderate habit of doing that!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
newshound wrote:
I'm not sure what the anvil type is intended for - I've always
found them pretty useless for *everything* - and personally only
ever use the by-pass type.

I carry an anvil type when trimming overhanging branches from the
back of a horse;

Bloody hell. What kind of horse is that then?

Chestnut.

Oh I wish I'd thought of that...

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
newshound wrote:
I'm not sure what the anvil type is intended for - I've always found
them pretty useless for *everything* - and personally only ever use
the by-pass type.

I carry an anvil type when trimming overhanging branches from the
back of a horse;

Bloody hell. *What kind of horse is that then?

Chestnut.

Stop it! The bubbles in me tea are going up me nose!
--
Peter.
it's been flattened with an angel-grinder.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
newshound wrote:
I'm not sure what the anvil type is intended for - I've always
found them pretty useless for *everything* - and personally only
ever use the by-pass type.

I carry an anvil type when trimming overhanging branches from the
back of a horse;

Bloody hell. What kind of horse is that then?

Chestnut.

Oh I wish I'd thought of that...

You will, David, you will...

--
Ian White
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 7 Aug 2009 12:47:49 +0100, Ian White wrote:

wrote:
newshound wrote:
I'm not sure what the anvil type is intended for - I've always
found them pretty useless for *everything* - and personally only
ever use the by-pass type.

I carry an anvil type when trimming overhanging branches from the
back of a horse;

Bloody hell. What kind of horse is that then?

Chestnut.

Oh I wish I'd thought of that...

You will, David, you will...

now that's original
--
Peter.
it's been flattened with an angel-grinder.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

PeterC wrote:

Oh I wish I'd thought of that...

You will, David, you will...

now that's original

This time around, yes ;-)

--
Ian White

Bosch Ciso secateurs GMM UK diy 1 May 4th 09 03:00 PM
Bosch Ciso secateurs GMM UK diy 8 April 25th 09 02:48 PM