Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Damp on gable end wall - condensation..? What solution

Hi all
Been a while since I've posted - only seem to come back these days for
advice.. so please be gentle!
I've got an old house - built in 1880 - and while decorating (he is
downstairs as I type), we have found damp patches on a gable end wall
- at low level in the living room. It seems to match areas where
furniture has been up close - although there is also some around a
chimney breast - and some in the corner of the room (no furniture
there). We've dug into the plaster with chisels and it doesn't seem
damp inside - which is odd.

The room doesn't get much use - has had new double glazing and one of
these plastic coating renders applied in the last 12 months. The
decorator thinks it isn't rising damp (the concrete floors are dry -
and the skirting is fine) - but I'm not sure.

I've got rentokil and http://www.schrijverdampcontrol.co.uk/index.php
coming in this week to have a look.

Any thoughts...?

Thanks in advance