Posted to uk.d-i-y
NT[_2_] NT[_2_] is offline

Default Damp on gable end wall - condensation..? What solution

On Aug 5, 11:12*am, chalkstorm wrote:
Hi all
Been a while since I've posted - only seem to come back these days for
advice.. so please be gentle!
I've got an old house - built in 1880 - and while decorating (he is
downstairs as I type), we have found damp patches on a gable end wall
- at low level in the living room. *It seems to match areas where
furniture has been up close - although there is also some around a
chimney breast - and some in the corner of the room (no furniture
there). *We've dug into the plaster with chisels and it doesn't seem
damp inside - which is odd.

The room doesn't get much use - has had new double glazing and one of
these plastic coating renders applied in the last 12 months. *

oh dear

The
decorator thinks it isn't rising damp (the concrete floors are dry -
and the skirting is fine) - but I'm not sure.

I've got rentokil andhttp://www.schrijverdampcontrol.co.uk/index.php
coming in this week to have a look.

oh dear

Any thoughts...?

Thanks in advance

Simon

The simplest option is to use the dehumidifier more. Just alter its
setting. Dehumidifiers have made many once troublesome damp problems
easy to resolve. A conventional 'proper' repair would involve
ventilating the room more, probably heating it more, and maybe
insulating the wall. Dont assume its non-cavity, there are a fair
number of cavity walls from the 1800s about, and CWI is very cost
effective.

NT