Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default condensation and damp problem

Hi,

My flat suffers from a very minor case of damp. I get severe
condensation on all windows (double glazed) and there's a slight
claminess to the walls and bedding. Also, powdered products (ie:
salt, sugar etc) in the kitchen cupboards go hard after a while. I've
noticed the problem seems worse at this time of year. anything shut
in storage cupboards can suffer from mould. Would a dehumidifier help
or is there another way, such as silica gel in the cupboards?

Thanks,

Marky P.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Marky P" wrote in message
Hi,

My flat suffers from a very minor case of damp. I get severe
condensation on all windows (double glazed) and there's a slight
claminess to the walls and bedding. Also, powdered products (ie:
salt, sugar etc) in the kitchen cupboards go hard after a while. I've
noticed the problem seems worse at this time of year. anything shut
in storage cupboards can suffer from mould. Would a dehumidifier help
or is there another way, such as silica gel in the cupboards?

Thanks,

Marky P.

Condensation occurs when the relative hunidity becomes too high for the air
to sustain. Water will preciptatefirst onto surfaces that are cold .
Although you've stated that the windows are double-glazed , and other
symptoms, you haven't mentioned what the air temperatures is nor what
sources of moisture are in the flat. So you dry washing on a line/maiden
within the flat? Are vapour producing cooking methods being used; kettles
boijing on hobs; baths being filled .... ?

Only with more information can one make a suggestion. Condensation on
double glazing (inner pane) could be an indication that the room temperature
is too low.

--

Brian

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Marky P wrote:
Hi,

My flat suffers from a very minor case of damp. I get severe
condensation on all windows (double glazed) and there's a slight
claminess to the walls and bedding. Also, powdered products (ie:
salt, sugar etc) in the kitchen cupboards go hard after a while. I've
noticed the problem seems worse at this time of year. anything shut
in storage cupboards can suffer from mould. Would a dehumidifier help
or is there another way, such as silica gel in the cupboards?

Thanks,

Marky P.

Ventilation and more ventilation!

Seriously that is the only way. Possibly a dehumidifier might help but
it will only help and not cure problem. Forget silica gel - it would
soon become saturated and then be useless.

Steve

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Marky P wrote:
Hi,

My flat suffers from a very minor case of damp. I get severe
condensation on all windows (double glazed) and there's a slight
claminess to the walls and bedding. Also, powdered products (ie:
salt, sugar etc) in the kitchen cupboards go hard after a while. I've
noticed the problem seems worse at this time of year. anything shut
in storage cupboards can suffer from mould. Would a dehumidifier help
or is there another way, such as silica gel in the cupboards?

Sounds more like a bad case of zero ventilation.

Its VERY hard to get condensation on the inside of a DG unit unless you
have very high internal humidity levels.

Maybe you are simply using a gas cooker with the place sealed shut?

Thanks,

Marky P.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 18 Sep 2007 17:53:24 GMT, "Brian Sharrock"
wrote:

"Marky P" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Although I have no thermometer, the temperature is comfotable (around
70 degrees F). The windows have IMO been badly fitted. In windy
weather, there is a noticeable draft coming through the rubber seals,
so ventilation isn't a problem :-). I don't own the flat though, it
is housing association. I do dry clothes in the bathroom, but the
door is kept closed when possible & I keep a window open.

Marky P.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 18 Sep 2007 17:54:26 GMT, Steve
wrote:

Marky P wrote:
Hi,

My flat suffers from a very minor case of damp. I get severe
condensation on all windows (double glazed) and there's a slight
claminess to the walls and bedding. Also, powdered products (ie:
salt, sugar etc) in the kitchen cupboards go hard after a while. I've
noticed the problem seems worse at this time of year. anything shut
in storage cupboards can suffer from mould. Would a dehumidifier help
or is there another way, such as silica gel in the cupboards?

Thanks,

Marky P.

Ventilation and more ventilation!

Seriously that is the only way. Possibly a dehumidifier might help but
it will only help and not cure problem. Forget silica gel - it would
soon become saturated and then be useless.

Steve

As I mentioned above, I don't think ventilation is the problem, as
there is a slight draft coming through the rubber seals of the
windows. The worst case of condensation is on the bedroom windows in
the morning, even if a window is left open overnight.

Marky P.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 18 Sep 2007 18:59:18 +0100, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

Marky P wrote:
Hi,

My flat suffers from a very minor case of damp. I get severe
condensation on all windows (double glazed) and there's a slight
claminess to the walls and bedding. Also, powdered products (ie:
salt, sugar etc) in the kitchen cupboards go hard after a while. I've
noticed the problem seems worse at this time of year. anything shut
in storage cupboards can suffer from mould. Would a dehumidifier help
or is there another way, such as silica gel in the cupboards?

Sounds more like a bad case of zero ventilation.

Its VERY hard to get condensation on the inside of a DG unit unless you
have very high internal humidity levels.

Maybe you are simply using a gas cooker with the place sealed shut?

No gas, electric supply only. I've often wondered whether I should
mention it to the housing authority, but sometimes it's not noticeable
at all.

Marky P.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Steve" wrote in message
.uk...
Marky P wrote:
Hi,

My flat suffers from a very minor case of damp. I get severe
condensation on all windows (double glazed) and there's a slight
claminess to the walls and bedding. Also, powdered products (ie:
salt, sugar etc) in the kitchen cupboards go hard after a while. I've
noticed the problem seems worse at this time of year. anything shut
in storage cupboards can suffer from mould. Would a dehumidifier help
or is there another way, such as silica gel in the cupboards?

Thanks,

Marky P.

Ventilation and more ventilation!

Seriously that is the only way. Possibly a dehumidifier might help but it
will only help and not cure problem. Forget silica gel - it would soon
become saturated and then be useless.

Well, you can regnerate it by heating - but that would release the absorbed
water into the air ...

Mary

Steve

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 18 Sep 2007 20:02:09 +0100, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

"Steve" wrote in message
o.uk...
Marky P wrote:
[...]

You could hang it out on the line!

Mary

Steve

http://www.freedeliveryuk.co.uk
Or get it delivered for free
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Marky P wrote:
[...]

You need to get the windows open and exchange the air inside the
house. Don't do it if you're going out though as most burglaries are
done through windows and doors left open.
http://www.freedeliveryuk.co.uk
Or get it delivered for free

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Marky P wrote:
Hi,

My flat suffers from a very minor case of damp. I get severe
condensation on all windows (double glazed) and there's a slight
claminess to the walls and bedding. Also, powdered products (ie:
salt, sugar etc) in the kitchen cupboards go hard after a while. I've
noticed the problem seems worse at this time of year. anything shut
in storage cupboards can suffer from mould. Would a dehumidifier help
or is there another way, such as silica gel in the cupboards?

If the effected areas are all on outside walls, it may be
due to poor thermal insulation. This could be made worse
by poor (uneven) heating. What type of heating do you have?

Sounds more like a bad case of zero ventilation.

Its VERY hard to get condensation on the inside of a DG unit unless you
have very high internal humidity levels.

Maybe you are simply using a gas cooker with the place sealed shut?

No gas, electric supply only. I've often wondered whether I should
mention it to the housing authority, but sometimes it's not noticeable
at all.

You need to get the windows open and exchange the air inside the
house. Don't do it if you're going out though as most burglaries are
done through windows and doors left open.

If you have separate trickle vents in the window frames,
make sure they're open.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Marky P expressed precisely :
My flat suffers from a very minor case of damp. I get severe
condensation on all windows (double glazed) and there's a slight
claminess to the walls and bedding. Also, powdered products (ie:
salt, sugar etc) in the kitchen cupboards go hard after a while. I've
noticed the problem seems worse at this time of year.

Damp (high humidity) is caused either by cold walls (poor insulation),
poor ventilation, or a combination of the two.

anything shut
in storage cupboards can suffer from mould. Would a dehumidifier help
or is there another way, such as silica gel in the cupboards?

Silica gel only works for a while, then the moisture has to be driven
out of it by heat (oven). A dehumidifier just needs to be emptied or
the output taken to a drain. They do work very well to keep humidity
levels down, but only in an enclosed space.

Some forced ventilation (extract fan) might help, perhaps controlled by
a humidistat. We have one such in the bathroom and use a cooker hood.

--

Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Posted to uk.d-i-y
OG OG is offline

"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
Marky P expressed precisely :
My flat suffers from a very minor case of damp. I get severe
condensation on all windows (double glazed) and there's a slight
claminess to the walls and bedding. Also, powdered products (ie:
salt, sugar etc) in the kitchen cupboards go hard after a while. I've
noticed the problem seems worse at this time of year.

Damp (high humidity) is caused either by cold walls (poor insulation),
poor ventilation, or a combination of the two.

It can also be caused by water ingress or pinprick holes/leaks in buried
pipes. But in this case I suspect poor ventilation.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Marky P wrote:
On Tue, 18 Sep 2007 17:53:24 GMT, "Brian Sharrock"
wrote:
"Marky P" wrote in message
.. .

[...]

Condensation on inside of dg at 70F means youve got very high
RH. You need to find the source of that water.

Ventilation reduces RH but is expensive compared to a
dehumidifier, which doesnt throw your heat outside.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Marky P wrote:
[...]

Difficult to be certain, but the condensation overnight could be as a
result of you breathing! Or, if the window is say north facing and has
the greatest exposure in the building, moisture generated elsewhere
could be the source.

At present, the building could be "saturated" with moisture. If it is as
a result of your lifestyle - cooking/ washing, etc., then using a
humidifier for a while should result in an improvement in a few weeks
with the amount of water condensed reducing over time - if not, then
there is a serious source of moisture in the building.

We used to suffer from condensation on north facing windows in our
house - particularly upstairs. House 4 bed detached double glazed with
cavity insulation with 4 inhabitants. Initially, I put a dehumidifier on
our landing which dramatically reduced the problem but not completely
resolved. I wondered if the kitchen was the principal source - not just
from cooking and despite using a (outside) vented clothes dryer, some
clothes were frequently ( and still are) left on a "towel rail" on the
kitchen radiator. I moved the dehumidifier into the kitchen and within
days - bingo! Plus, it removed the dehumidifier noise from the upstairs.

HTH

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 18 Sep 2007 18:42:20 +0100, Marky P
wrote:

Hi,

My flat suffers from a very minor case of damp. I get severe
condensation on all windows (double glazed) and there's a slight
claminess to the walls and bedding. Also, powdered products (ie:
salt, sugar etc) in the kitchen cupboards go hard after a while. I've
noticed the problem seems worse at this time of year. anything shut
in storage cupboards can suffer from mould. Would a dehumidifier help
or is there another way, such as silica gel in the cupboards?

Thanks,

Marky P.

I should imagine the problem stems from the walls being plastered in
hard render. As a result they can not breathe and take up variations
in the mosture in the air. I remember this was a recurrent problem 30
years ago when builders would render everything that moved. Only
solution is to rip off all the render and replace with a lighterweight
plaster.

Maris
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Hmmm, that could be possible. Thing is it's only a slight problem,
not noticeable in everyday living. Just occasionally, I dig something
out from a corner of a room or cupboard, and it's covered in mould.

Marky P.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Marky P wrote:

It's on all walls (just a slight claminess) and all heating is storage
heaters.
Marky P.

It could possibly be down to that.

Are you out all day with windows closed?

If you are I imagine that the warm air in the morning has taken up water
vapour that will condense on the cold walls and other places as the
storage heaters lose their heat during the day.

If that is the case, you will need to provide extra ventilation and,
possibly some background heating during the day.

Steve

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 21 Sep 2007 19:21:18 +0100, Marky P
wrote:

On Thu, 20 Sep 2007 11:33:23 +0100, Maris wrote:

I should imagine the problem stems from the walls being plastered in
hard render. As a result they can not breathe and take up variations
in the mosture in the air. I remember this was a recurrent problem 30
years ago when builders would render everything that moved. Only
solution is to rip off all the render and replace with a lighterweight
plaster.

Maris

Hmmm, that could be possible. Thing is it's only a slight problem,
not noticeable in everyday living. Just occasionally, I dig something
out from a corner of a room or cupboard, and it's covered in mould.

Marky P.

That more or less nails it then. We used to have mould low down in the
corners of an extension that had been rendered internally. It had 3
external walls and, which included 2 external corners. These would
have had the lowest temperatures in the room. We got rid of the
problem by selling up and moviing on!!

Maris