Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Really bad condensation problem

Hiya,

I'd be grateful if someone could advise on how to rectify the condensation
problem I have.

I live in a 60s built semi house, with recently professionally installed
cavity wall & loft installation and 10 year old double glazing. I have
always had a really bad problem with condensation in the autumn/winter
months and this year is no different - it literally drips down the windows
(upstairs only mind) and pools on the window sills once the heating has
been on. Surely this shouldn't be the case even if there is a big
difference in temperature between outdoors and indoors?

Looking at neighbouring properties nobody seems to have the same problem
(or at least not to the same extent) as I do.

Once again, grateful for any advice and views.

Thanks.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Crag wrote:
Hiya,

I'd be grateful if someone could advise on how to rectify the condensation
problem I have.

I live in a 60s built semi house, with recently professionally installed
cavity wall & loft installation and 10 year old double glazing. I have
always had a really bad problem with condensation in the autumn/winter
months and this year is no different - it literally drips down the windows
(upstairs only mind) and pools on the window sills once the heating has
been on. Surely this shouldn't be the case even if there is a big
difference in temperature between outdoors and indoors?

Looking at neighbouring properties nobody seems to have the same problem
(or at least not to the same extent) as I do.

I had the same problem with a ground floor flat i bought in December
last year. the double glazed windows were relativly new, but the
condensation had been so bad that the wooden window ledge had mould on
it.
When i removed the window ledges i discovered a 10mm air gap below the
window direct to outside.

I used external silicone to seal the gaps and injected expanding foam
into the space once the new window ledges were fitted.

End on condensation problem.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Crag writes:
Hiya,

I'd be grateful if someone could advise on how to rectify the condensation
problem I have.

I live in a 60s built semi house, with recently professionally installed
cavity wall & loft installation and 10 year old double glazing. I have
always had a really bad problem with condensation in the autumn/winter
months and this year is no different - it literally drips down the windows
(upstairs only mind) and pools on the window sills once the heating has
been on. Surely this shouldn't be the case even if there is a big
difference in temperature between outdoors and indoors?

Looking at neighbouring properties nobody seems to have the same problem
(or at least not to the same extent) as I do.

Once again, grateful for any advice and views.

The windows are probably the coldest surfaces in the house, and
therefore the points where excess moisture is going to condense
out. So the question is why do you have excess moisture in the
air? Possible causes are lack of ventilation, or a source of
excessive moisture. Showers and cloths drying are possible
sources. Might be worth getting a humidity guage (small one for
a greenhouse will only cost a few quid) to see what the humidity
is in the rooms affected (don't measure near the window).

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Crag" wrote:
Hiya,

I'd be grateful if someone could advise on how to rectify the condensation
problem I have.

Cooking with gas, tumble dryer not vented to the outside, no extractor fan
in bathroom/kitchen, and generally poor ventilation, are possible factors to
consider. Bedrooms are prone to condensation because we breath water vapour
out all the time, probably equivalent to between 250ml and 500ml of water
each per night. Double glazing doesn't necessarily prevent condensation. The
sealed units may have failed but I don't know how you can check for that. If
you can't find the cause(s) and fix them, you could consider dehumidifiers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 18 Nov 2006 08:56:24 +0000, Crag wrote:

Hiya,

I'd be grateful if someone could advise on how to rectify the condensation
problem I have.

I live in a 60s built semi house, with recently professionally installed
cavity wall & loft installation and 10 year old double glazing. I have
always had a really bad problem with condensation in the autumn/winter
months and this year is no different - it literally drips down the windows
(upstairs only mind) and pools on the window sills once the heating has
been on. Surely this shouldn't be the case even if there is a big
difference in temperature between outdoors and indoors?

Looking at neighbouring properties nobody seems to have the same problem
(or at least not to the same extent) as I do.

Once again, grateful for any advice and views.

I've met this before a couple of times in the era of property. The DG has
removed the draughts and the required minimum ventilation. I'd hazard a
strong guess that the DG units don't have trickle vents?

You'll just have to improve the ventilation and/or add extractor fans in
the bathroom and kitchen.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Crag wrote:
Hiya,

I'd be grateful if someone could advise on how to rectify the
condensation problem I have.

I live in a 60s built semi house, with recently professionally installed
cavity wall & loft installation and 10 year old double glazing. I have
always had a really bad problem with condensation in the autumn/winter
months and this year is no different - it literally drips down the
windows (upstairs only mind) and pools on the window sills once the
heating has been on. Surely this shouldn't be the case even if there is
a big difference in temperature between outdoors and indoors?

Looking at neighbouring properties nobody seems to have the same problem
(or at least not to the same extent) as I do.

Once again, grateful for any advice and views.

You must have a source of water vapour in the house - far greater than the
ventilation can cope with. So you need to increase the ventilation in the
areas it is usually caused in - things like bathrooms and kitchens.
Unvented tumble driers and cooking are the usual suspects. An extracting
cooker hood should sort both. And leave at least some of the ventilators
above the new windows open - especially in bathrooms and kitchens, etc.

--
*Time is the best teacher; unfortunately it kills all its students.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Ed Sirett wrote:
I'd hazard a strong guess that the DG units don't have trickle vents?

Aren't these required by 'law' these days?

--
*Why is it that to stop Windows 95, you have to click on "Start"?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
And leave at least some of the ventilators
above the new windows open - especially in bathrooms and kitchens, etc.

Ah - just re-read the post and noted the older double glazing. New double
glazing requires ventilators above each window. So it sounds like simple
lack of ventilation.

--
*If love is blind, why is lingerie so popular? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:
Ah - just re-read the post and noted the older double glazing. New double
glazing requires ventilators above each window.

Mmmmm, that's interesting. None of the DG in my neighbourhood, including
mine, installed by a variety of firms in the last couple of years, has any
ventilators.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 18 Nov 2006 08:56:24 GMT Crag wrote in
:

Hiya,

I'd be grateful if someone could advise on how to rectify the
condensation problem I have.

I live in a 60s built semi house, with recently professionally
installed cavity wall & loft installation and 10 year old double
glazing. I have always had a really bad problem with condensation in
the autumn/winter months and this year is no different - it literally
drips down the windows (upstairs only mind) and pools on the window
sills once the heating has been on. Surely this shouldn't be the case
even if there is a big difference in temperature between outdoors and
indoors?

Looking at neighbouring properties nobody seems to have the same
problem (or at least not to the same extent) as I do.

Once again, grateful for any advice and views.

Thanks.

Thanks for all the replies. Will look into improving the ventilation in
all the rooms upstairs...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"Dave Plowman (News)" writes:
In article ,
Ed Sirett wrote:
I'd hazard a strong guess that the DG units don't have trickle vents?

Aren't these required by 'law' these days?

When I had mine done (just before Part L came in), trickle vents
were only required if the windows didn't have a lockable trickle/
slightly open position, which most do. The installer said LA's
and housing assocations insisted their properties has trickle vents
in the DG because tennants tended to do things which generated
excessive moisture resulting in damp, but private households
usually preferred their windows without. It made negligable
difference to price.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 18 Nov 2006 11:32:17 GMT Crag wrote in
:

[...]

Thanks for all the replies. Is it possible to have trickle vents fitted
into DG after they're fitted? Are there any PVCu installers that offer
such a service?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rob Rob is offline

Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
"Dave Plowman (News)" writes:
In article ,
Ed Sirett wrote:
I'd hazard a strong guess that the DG units don't have trickle vents?

Aren't these required by 'law' these days?

When I had mine done (just before Part L came in), trickle vents
were only required if the windows didn't have a lockable trickle/
slightly open position, which most do. The installer said LA's
and housing assocations insisted their properties has trickle vents
in the DG because tennants tended to do things which generated
excessive moisture resulting in damp, but private households
usually preferred their windows without. It made negligable
difference to price.

And as an ex-LA/HA worker, I can put on record that residents have been
known to stuff the trickle vents with tissue ;-)

I do wonder what social housing tenants do that private occupiers don't ..!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andrew Gabriel wrote:
Aren't these required by 'law' these days?

When I had mine done (just before Part L came in), trickle vents
were only required if the windows didn't have a lockable trickle/
slightly open position, which most do. The installer said LA's
and housing assocations insisted their properties has trickle vents
in the DG because tennants tended to do things which generated
excessive moisture resulting in damp, but private households
usually preferred their windows without. It made negligable
difference to price.

Ah. My only experience of UPC double glazing is the unit I bought from
Screwfix and installed myself. It came with fitted but closable vents
above the window and something about it being a requirement

--
*Plagiarism saves time *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Crag wrote:
Thanks for all the replies. Is it possible to have trickle vents fitted
into DG after they're fitted? Are there any PVCu installers that offer
such a service?

Some, at least, appear to be an add on unit which would require
enlargement of the opening, or a smaller window.

--
*7up is good for you, signed snow white*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message
from "Dave Plowman (News)" contains these words:

I'd hazard a strong guess that the DG units don't have trickle vents?

Aren't these required by 'law' these days?

Yes, but possibly not when they were installed.

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message
from Rob contains these words:

And as an ex-LA/HA worker, I can put on record that residents have been
known to stuff the trickle vents with tissue ;-)

The front walls of the houses round here have vents fitted because of
the gas cooker and the gas boilers in the kitchens. Many of these are
blocked - some with tape, some with foam. In some cases it isn't
important because the boiler's been replaced with a balanced flue unit
and the cooker's either got enough ventilation from elsewhere or is
electric. However, in many others it's still needed. So far no one seems
to have died from it.

I can see why they do it - the howling gale round your withers when
you're washing up is bad enough, but on really cold nights the back of
the washing machine can freeze.

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 18 Nov 2006 12:52:02 +0000, Rob wrote:

Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
"Dave Plowman (News)" writes:
In article ,
Ed Sirett wrote:
I'd hazard a strong guess that the DG units don't have trickle vents?
Aren't these required by 'law' these days?

When I had mine done (just before Part L came in), trickle vents
were only required if the windows didn't have a lockable trickle/
slightly open position, which most do. The installer said LA's
and housing assocations insisted their properties has trickle vents
in the DG because tennants tended to do things which generated
excessive moisture resulting in damp, but private households
usually preferred their windows without. It made negligable
difference to price.

And as an ex-LA/HA worker, I can put on record that residents have been
known to stuff the trickle vents with tissue ;-)

I do wonder what social housing tenants do that private occupiers don't ..!

Be at home more for a start.
Do more indoor drying of clothes.
Have a greater population density per unit volume of the dwelling.
etc.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 18 Nov 2006 11:29:08 +0000, Curious wrote:

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:
Ah - just re-read the post and noted the older double glazing. New double
glazing requires ventilators above each window.

Mmmmm, that's interesting. None of the DG in my neighbourhood, including
mine, installed by a variety of firms in the last couple of years, has any
ventilators.

Mine don't (installed 1992) but then most rooms have an air brick.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 18 Nov 2006 11:01:57 +0000 (GMT) Dave Plowman (News) wrote :
I'd hazard a strong guess that the DG units don't have trickle vents?

Aren't these required by 'law' these days?

They were but DCLG retracted the requirement last month. It now is

"3.4 Where the original windows were fitted with trickle ventilators the
replacement windows should include them and they should be sized as
set-out in paragraph 3.6.
It would be good practice to fit trickle ventilators (or equivalent),
with accessible controls, in all replacement windows to help with control
of condensation and improve indoor air quality."

http://www.communities.gov.uk/index.asp?id=1503738

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Ed Sirett wrote:
I'd hazard a strong guess that the DG units don't have trickle vents?

Aren't these required by 'law' these days?

SOMETHING is required by building control. It doesn't HAVE to be trickle
vents - they are just one way of achieving it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
I'd hazard a strong guess that the DG units don't have trickle vents?

Aren't these required by 'law' these days?

SOMETHING is required by building control. It doesn't HAVE to be trickle
vents - they are just one way of achieving it.

But we're talking about replacement windows. Incorporating a trickle vent
is an easy thing to do at that stage. Adding airbricks, etc, isn't.

--
*Why is the man who invests all your money called a broker? *