Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Source for chlorine/plain bleach

I need to get hold of some chlorine to disinfect a well. From some research
"plain" bleach seems like the obvious candidate. However, I'm struggling to
find bleach that
a) lists the active ingredient as sodium hypochlorite and
b) lists its concentration and
c) doesn't contain perfume.

Can anyone suggest an easily available (UK) product meeting all the above
criteria?

Thanks,
Piers

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 04 Aug 2009 13:50:25 +0100, Piers Finlayson
wrote:

I need to get hold of some chlorine to disinfect a well. From some research
"plain" bleach seems like the obvious candidate. However, I'm struggling to
find bleach that

a) lists the active ingredient as sodium hypochlorite and

Tesco Thin Bleach, the cheap stuff in the white/blue stripe container.

b) lists its concentration

Tesco Thin Bleach 5% Sodium Hypochlorite (4-5% in practice).

c) doesn't contain perfume.

Tesco Thin Bleach

Alternatively any farm supplier should stock Sodium Hypochlorite 10%
(Red Label Hypochlorite) at about £10/25L
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Piers Finlayson wrote:
I need to get hold of some chlorine to disinfect a well. From some research
"plain" bleach seems like the obvious candidate. However, I'm struggling to
find bleach that
a) lists the active ingredient as sodium hypochlorite and
b) lists its concentration and
c) doesn't contain perfume.

Can anyone suggest an easily available (UK) product meeting all the above
criteria?

Thanks,
Piers

Does it have to be Sodium hypo? Just talk to your local swimming pool
chemicals supplier who will sell you pure calcium hypochlorite in powder
form.

http://www.calcium-hypochlorite.co.uk/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Piers Finlayson wrote:
Can anyone suggest an easily available (UK) product meeting all the above
criteria?

Have you looked at swimming pool chlorine? That would seem to satisfy your
requirements, though I'm not sure if that's hypochlorite.

Theo
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2009-08-04, Piers Finlayson wrote:
I need to get hold of some chlorine to disinfect a well. From some research
"plain" bleach seems like the obvious candidate. However, I'm struggling to
find bleach that
a) lists the active ingredient as sodium hypochlorite and
b) lists its concentration and
c) doesn't contain perfume.

Can anyone suggest an easily available (UK) product meeting all the above
criteria?

Sainsbury's value range bleach.

Most household bleach contains caustic soda for some reason, certainly
the thickened types. I was going to suggest Milton for purity but, as
already suggested, an agricultural supplier would be favourite for this
application.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 04 Aug 2009 13:50:25 +0100, Piers Finlayson wrote:

I need to get hold of some chlorine to disinfect a well. From some research
"plain" bleach seems like the obvious candidate. However, I'm struggling to
find bleach that
a) lists the active ingredient as sodium hypochlorite and
b) lists its concentration and
c) doesn't contain perfume.

Can anyone suggest an easily available (UK) product meeting all the above
criteria?

As others have suggested, swimming pool supplies, farm/agricultural
supplies or janitorial supplies.

I keep a drum of liquid chlorine (14/15% sodium hypochlorite) for the
swimming pool, together with stabilised chlorine.

DON'T try stabilised swimming pool chlorine, it contains cyanuric acid as
the stabiliser, which basically doesn't break down, and can only be
dispersed by dilution.

--
The Wanderer

Better to keep one's mouth shut and be thought a fool
Than to open it and remove all doubt (Mark Twain)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tesco Thin Bleach

Alternatively any farm supplier should stock Sodium Hypochlorite 10%
(Red Label Hypochlorite) at about £10/25L

Thanks to all for the replies. Sadly (!) Tesco and Sainsbury aren't
immediately available shops for me (and I would rather not give them any
business I don't have to, but that's another matter). The country store I
tried doesn't do Red Label Hypochlorite, but I've found a decent looking
online source of 15%.

I decided against using swimming pool tablets because I've read a suggestion
that they the chlorine doesn't disperse as well or as quickly - the tablets
tend to sit on the bottom. I decided against calcium hypochlorite mainly
because of hassle factor - there's less need to "dilute" or mix sodium
hypochlorite before pouring into the well, although I may do so anyway
depending on what quantity I end up calculating I need.

Don't Use Bleach [email protected] Home Repair 6 October 3rd 08 12:50 AM
Hot tub: bromine vs. chlorine [email protected] Home Repair 13 October 9th 06 03:40 PM
Chlorine Alternative Doc Home Repair 3 November 17th 05 11:37 PM
Chlorine Alternative Doc Home Repair 0 September 17th 05 11:42 PM
Chlorine Alternative Doc Home Repair 0 September 17th 05 11:38 PM