Posted to uk.d-i-y
Al Al is offline

Default Replacing friction hinges in UPVC window

Replacing friction hinges in UPVC window - With a twist

A friction hinge broke (the little plastic slider) on a top opening flap.
Looks easy enough to replace - Got the parts, just waiting for a mate to
hold the window for me while I replace it.

But, I've now found another broken one, and yet another that is very stiff
and difficult to close. The problem is, they are upstairs windows, and both
are inaccesible via a ladder.

Is there a trick to changing the hinge with access from the inside only? I
don't want to have to remove the entire frame

Al.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Al wrote:
Replacing friction hinges in UPVC window - With a twist

A friction hinge broke (the little plastic slider) on a top opening flap.
Looks easy enough to replace - Got the parts, just waiting for a mate to
hold the window for me while I replace it.

But, I've now found another broken one, and yet another that is very stiff
and difficult to close. The problem is, they are upstairs windows, and both
are inaccesible via a ladder.

Is there a trick to changing the hinge with access from the inside only? I
don't want to have to remove the entire frame

Al.

Maybe take the glass out (decent windows fit from the inside) which
should make the operation a lot easier.

Bob
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Al Al is offline

Maybe take the glass out (decent windows fit from the inside) which
should make the operation a lot easier.

D'oh - I hadn't thought of that

We had the sealed units replaced a few years ago (cos the wife likes leaded
glass) and it was all done from the inside. One flap has opening windows
each side, so that should be reasonable anyway, but taking the glass out
will take a lot of weight off. The other one, we can remove the glass in
the non-opening pane beneath the flap and reach up.

Thanks for that - I feel a lot happier now

Al.

uPVC window hinges PeterC UK diy 2 July 16th 09 08:11 PM
Window Friction Hinges robgraham UK diy 1 January 25th 09 06:23 PM
how-to: replacing friction hinges on Alu tilt window jkn UK diy 2 February 1st 07 10:32 PM
UPVC Window hinges Nigel Molesworth UK diy 4 March 26th 06 04:50 PM
Replacing upvc window rubber seals cb UK diy 4 October 22nd 04 11:32 PM