Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default door hanging

Hello,

I took off a door to move some furniture. Now that I have put the door
back on, it won't shut completely, it is catching the frame by a
millimetre. What am I doing wrong?

TIA
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 23 Jul 2009 14:02:23 +0100, Fred
wrote:

Hello,

I took off a door to move some furniture. Now that I have put the door
back on, it won't shut completely, it is catching the frame by a
millimetre. What am I doing wrong?

TIA

Which side .Hinge side or t'other side .Top of the door or edge and is
it catching all the way down or just at one bit ..

--
Any posting using my name and/or e-mail address
but other than by newsindividual.net is not being posted by me and should be disregarded .
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Fred wrote:
Hello,

I took off a door to move some furniture. Now that I have put the door
back on, it won't shut completely, it is catching the frame by a
millimetre. What am I doing wrong?

TIA

Maybe there was packing under the hinges? Any hinge sized bits of
sandpaper or cardboard lying around?
Either that or the hinge isn't sitting right in the rebate. Give them a
tap with a hammer and see if the screws will tighten some more
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 23 Jul 2009 14:15:04 +0100, Stuart B
wrote:

Which side .Hinge side or t'other side .Top of the door or edge and is
it catching all the way down or just at one bit ..

It is only catching on the side opposite the hinges.

How does packing the hinges work? Surely that would push the hinges
out and thus the door out and make it catch more?

Thanks again.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Which side .Hinge side or t'other side .Top of the door or edge and is
it catching all the way down or just at one bit ..

It is only catching on the side opposite the hinges.

How does packing the hinges work? Surely that would push the hinges
out and thus the door out and make it catch more?

Thanks again.

Often used just on one side of the hinge, which changes the angle at
which the leading edge of the door approaches the frame

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Which side .Hinge side or t'other side .Top of the door or edge and
is it catching all the way down or just at one bit ..

It is only catching on the side opposite the hinges.

How does packing the hinges work? Surely that would push the hinges
out and thus the door out and make it catch more?

Thanks again.

Often used just on one side of the hinge, which changes the angle at
which the leading edge of the door approaches the frame

Take the door back off and check the hinge receivers in the frame for odd
little bits of wood fibre raised by the screws. Clean the receivers out and
rehang the door - making sure that the screws are done up tight.

If that fails to solve the problem, then there are two ways to resolve it:

1 Deepen the hinge receivers slightly - (best method if you don't
want to damage the paintwork

2 Plane of the leading edge *ONLY* of the door (just enough to allow
the door to miss the frame
(My preferred [and easiest method] but it will damage the
paintwork on the door

Another possibility (but unlikely) is that the edge of the latch receiver is
just catching the door. If it is that, a gentle tap with a hammer will sort
the problem.

Cash

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 23 Jul 2009 14:15:04 +0100, Stuart B

Which side .Hinge side or t'other side .Top of the door or edge and is
it catching all the way down or just at one bit ..

Pressing F7 would save face with you ****

Posted to uk.d-i-y

molley222 coughed up some electrons that declared:

Oh yes, it's the school holidays again... Roll on September.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

molley222 wrote:
On Thu, 23 Jul 2009 14:15:04 +0100, Stuart B

Which side .Hinge side or t'other side .Top of the door or edge and
is it catching all the way down or just at one bit ..

Pressing F7 would save face with you ****

Wouldn't help if you were using my keyboard.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 23 Jul 2009 22:16:44 +0100, Tim S wrote:

molley222 coughed up some electrons that declared:

Oh yes, it's the school holidays again... Roll on September.

Tim ....Trust me ..if it was only that simple !!!

--
Any posting using my name and/or e-mail address
but other than by newsindividual.net is not being posted by me and should be disregarded .
Remove NOSPAM to reply by e-mail

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 23 Jul 2009 18:07:38 +0100, "Cash"
wrote:

If that fails to solve the problem, then there are two ways to resolve it:

1 Deepen the hinge receivers slightly - (best method if you don't
want to damage the paintwork

I don't think these need making deeper, they are already very deep
already; much deeper than any of the other doors. It looks as though
someone has ahd trouble with this door before ;(

I did wonder could I fill these in and start again? If I used a two
part epoxy filler, would that take the screws second time round?

2 Plane of the leading edge *ONLY* of the door (just enough to allow
the door to miss the frame

That's what I have done in the past, but like you say, that means
having to repaint it and I don't like painting! BTW should you plane
the whole side of the door, so that the edge remains plumb or do you
just take a millimetre from here and there, where it catches the
frame?

What's all this about pressing F7?

Thanks again.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I don't think these need making deeper, they are already very deep
already; much deeper than any of the other doors. It looks as though
someone has ahd trouble with this door before ;(

I did wonder could I fill these in and start again? If I used a two
part epoxy filler, would that take the screws second time round?

Presumably the door closed ok before you took it off, and must do again
if you sort the hinge packing out.
Leave the screws a *little* loose and see if the door will close with
you applying pressure towards the hinge. If so, look at the hinge butt
and you'll see where it wants to sit, and can pack out accordingly.

Hanging a door Big Al Home Repair 0 March 7th 06 06:17 AM
Re Hanging a Door Vince Home Repair 3 December 25th 05 06:09 PM
Hanging a door Stephen UK diy 3 December 20th 05 11:26 PM
Hanging a door chemqueries Home Repair 3 October 1st 05 03:04 PM
hanging a door [email protected] Home Repair 3 May 1st 05 02:39 PM