Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Bungalow update

Well - having painted the first coat of white on the walls I plastered, I
must say that they seemed to have turned out OK.

They will turn blue tomorrow (final coats of colour) so that will be the
acid test.

SWMBO cleaned most of the building site today so it's reasonable child
friendly as the sprogs will be in next week with me (summer holidays).

Project running behind schedule (oh what a surprise). We'll probably have no
kitchen. I'll be happy if we have a bathroom, 2 bedrooms and hot water.

At least the building is dry

Kitchen floor would be a real bonus as then I could move loads of stuff in
and still fit units and wall tile around that. Still have to level the
floor first, but the scabbling is done.

Bay window roofs are celotexed, pending some PU can foam to lock and seal
and a bit of plasterboard to complete the ceiling.

SWMBO's taking it well - I'm blessed with still having my nuts...

None of this is unexpected. Nothing ever goes according to plan...

Got a wood floor to stick down over the next 3 days (1 day marmox, 2 days
Kahrs clicky flooring).

Then backboxes and conduit and repair coving + 2 door frames then the
plasterercan get started.

12 weeks in total to do that, install a bathroom with cold water, build a
heatbank running on emergency electrical backup and supply hot water.

And move house...

Interesting times as the Arabs would say...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

Nice to hear of somebody making progress. Just for the record "May you live
in interesting times" is actually a Chinese curse and is not good news.

Peter Crosland

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Peter Crosland wibbled:

Interesting times as the Arabs would say...

Nice to hear of somebody making progress. Just for the record "May you
live in interesting times" is actually a Chinese curse and is not good
news.

Or chinese I guess. I knew the sentiment though(!).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19 July, 19:39, Tim S wrote:
[...]

Very interesting, got any piccies?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

David coughed up some electrons that declared:

On 19 July, 19:39, Tim S wrote:
[...]

Not yet - I'll get some this week.

Cheers

Tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

David wibbled:

Very interesting, got any piccies?

Finally:

One paint job on Owen's room: Matt emulsion makes light of my imperfect
plastering - can hardly seen anything wrong under normal lighting

http://photos.dionic.net/v/public/bu..._0010.jpg.html
http://photos.dionic.net/v/public/bu..._0009.jpg.html

Marmox board (12.5mm) bonded to the floor screed with Mapei KaraQuick:

http://photos.dionic.net/v/public/bu..._0006.jpg.html
(Patches are silicone sealant - suggestion on Marmox's website was to apply
silicone to the board edges for a more damp proof seal. This turned out to
not work well. Easier to apply silicon to gaps afterwards.)

Taped in addition, on advice from Marmox Tech Support - this, together with
the silicone garantees a vapour impermeable floor:

http://photos.dionic.net/v/public/bu..._0014.jpg.html

Treadair Boardwalk underlay (4mm) foam laid. The foil layer is also a vapour
barrier, so despite our slightly damp floor, I'm confident nothing is
getting though this lot:

http://photos.dionic.net/v/public/bu..._0016.jpg.html

Kahrs engineered click boards going down. This was easy enough:

http://photos.dionic.net/v/public/bu..._0020.jpg.html

And completed, with another wipe over with their oil refresher liquid:

http://photos.dionic.net/v/public/bu..._0032.jpg.html

Front room scabbled:
http://photos.dionic.net/v/public/bu..._0024.jpg.html
http://photos.dionic.net/v/public/bu..._0025.jpg.html

And a close up of the fairly fine finish:
http://photos.dionic.net/v/public/bu..._0026.jpg.html

New improved brickwork on left of door with new door casing wedged in for
sizing.

http://photos.dionic.net/v/public/bu..._0034.jpg.html
http://photos.dionic.net/v/public/bu..._0036.jpg.html

(Door casing has a slight bow - this will straighten up once screwed to
wall).

I'll raise a couple of questions in a new thread...

Cheers

Tim

The bungalow - update, April 2009 Tim S UK diy 24 April 4th 09 03:41 PM
The Bungalow - update Tim S UK diy 13 December 7th 08 11:02 PM
Been a good day at the Bungalow Tim S UK diy 6 November 11th 08 04:24 PM
Bungalow Rennovation David UK diy 8 October 12th 06 08:15 AM