Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Been a good day at the Bungalow

It's not really an informative post, but I have to say I've actually made a
start after months of planning and questions here...

Witten up a BNA (waiting for a builder mate to check if I guessed the fee
correctly). Post off that next Tuesday or so.

Done a boat load of electrical calculations and parts research (big thanks
to Adam for some offline input on this, plus all the folk at the IET forum
and many others here). Formed most of a starter shopping list for the local
wholesaler for the "basics" and the CU components. I'm going with Hager.

Builder mate is starting in a couple of weeks to do couple of new internal
walls, opening modifications, repointing the front (I really can't face
that job - I have "rustic" bricks!), screed the himalayan front room floor
flat and new run of drains out the back (because we're moving everything
around as part of the renovation).

After that, I'm doing everything myself, or at least that's the idea. It's a
good kickstart - 7 grand to the builder, but I'm getting a lot done for
that and this will really kick the project off.

Been down there today with the missus and sprogs, working under a couple of
halogen site lamps (half the old wiring died, including one entire lighting
circuit).

Took out some kitchen units (carefully, for resuse elsewhere) - must say
that was pleasantly easy once I'd found the secret fixings. Found the gas
cooker connection at last (behind a cupboard) and disconnected that.

Missus cheerfully helped (she hates this stuff). Then she had a good natter
with the woman next door discussing kitchen optionssee ...

At least she has a better understanding of how much work there is to do, and
how sometimes simple things take ages :-))

Long may it continue in this vein

Cheers

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim S" wrote in message
[...]

The hardest part is the site management, so stick with it. Try to pre-plan
the next job about a week, at the least, before you consider starting it.
That way the plan can change without being a surprise. Always keep a plan B
at hand also. Which is normally "scream at the top of your voice. Cuss and
swear for five minutes. Then get back on with it. But it's called "Plan B"
for this project, right. :-)

Good luck, sir. Lang may yer lum reek.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

BigWallop coughed up some electrons that declared:

The hardest part is the site management, so stick with it. Try to
pre-plan the next job about a week, at the least, before you consider
starting it.

Sound advice.

I've actually put a long term plan into "Taskjuggler" which is an MS-Project
for linux and laid the whole job out at the macro scale. Found, for proper
work projects, that sort of exercise helps keep one on track. Even if half
the numbers are guesswork, it gives a reasonable overview of if any one job
is taking too long.

Also did a massive costings spreadsheet, which again, isn't complete and
never will be, but shows broadly that we have the budget.

That way the plan can change without being a surprise. Always keep a plan

Believe me - I am Mr Plan-B and Plan-C right down to Z! :-)

It was my late parent's house, so I have the advantage I know the building
and having taken some of it to bits, I know it better now. I have literally
spend months over there fiddling and pondering how to run pipes, cables,
drains. It should mean that actual execution is reasonably straightforward.

at hand also. Which is normally "scream at the top of your voice. Cuss
and
swear for five minutes. Then get back on with it. But it's called "Plan
B"
for this project, right. :-)

I'm sure there'll be plenty of that! Phase 2 has more technical
difficulties - that job starts 2010, perhaps late 2009 and it's to re-do
the dormer upstairs and re-insulate the roof properly along with new
soffits and guttering. That's a nightmare because I cannot see how to
celotex it and get adequate ventilation in to prevent condensation. Plan-Z
is to run a series of plastic pipes up to the high points of the void and
use mechanical extraction to suck the moist air out (it's actually a known,
if unusual method)

There's probably a better plan, but I really need to strip the plasterboard
out and let the BCO have a look to see if anything more conventional is
possible (it's a "difficult" roof for reasons that you'd need to see photos
to appreciate).

But, that's Phase 2, so for now, stuff it

Good luck, sir. Lang may yer lum reek.

Ta!

Cheers

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim S wrote:
It's not really an informative post, but I have to say I've actually made a
start after months of planning and questions here...

Well done, I often find getting started is one of the harder bits!

At least she has a better understanding of how much work there is to do, and
how sometimes simple things take ages :-))

Don't be so hard on yourself, I am sure you are not simple! ;-)

Long may it continue in this vein

Yup, keep us posted. Take plenty of photos as you go along, otherwise
you soon forget how it was.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim S wrote:

Also did a massive costings spreadsheet, which again, isn't complete and
never will be, but shows broadly that we have the budget.

With regards materials, I have come to the conclusion you will always
miss some - either because you did not think of them at the planning
stage, or they did not become required until a change forces them on
you. I used to try and account for these unknowns by adding a percentage
markup to the materials total, but that never seemed to come out right.
These days I work out a notional cost of the labour (say price yourself
at 150 - 200 a day), add that to the estimated materials bill, and then
place a percentage markup (8% usually works for me) on the total figure
and use that for an unknown materials contingency. That seems to work
better because it not only factors in the total materials cost, but also
an element of the job complexity (on the understanding that longer jobs
tend to be more complex and harbour greater scope for unexpected expenses).

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
John Rumm wrote:
[...]

Indeed. I recently completed a major refurkle of the bathroom and kept
every single receipt, entering them on a spreadsheet each evening. My
original budget was based on the major items - tiles, floor, electrics,
boiler and new window, split into jobs and an attempt made to estimate
everything. The actual suite was retained.
I went some 33% over - and all for small items you simply don't consider.
Or rather I didn't. ;-)

--
*He who laughs last, thinks slowest.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim S" wrote in message
[...]

With a bit of luck she will be too busy nattering to complain.

Post a link to some photos so we can see what you have started.

Adam

Bungalow Rennovation David UK diy 8 October 12th 06 08:15 AM
Rendering a bungalow (ingredients) Justin Time UK diy 3 September 7th 06 10:54 PM
Cannibalizing my Craftsman Bungalow [email protected] Home Repair 5 May 16th 06 02:07 AM
"American Bungalow" Swingman Woodworking 4 August 23rd 05 11:15 PM
taking off gable of bungalow tom patton UK diy 4 April 17th 05 01:52 AM