Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Cleaning Aluminium?

We've got a new gas cooker, and the burners are made of aluminium, with what
would be described as a "diamond cut" finish on an alloy wheel - basically,
they look more or less like they've come straight off the lathe.

What can you use to clean them? Bits of stuff inevitably get burnt onto
them, and I can't just bung it in some caustic soda, as it's aluminium...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Doki" wrote in message
We've got a new gas cooker, and the burners are made of aluminium, with
what would be described as a "diamond cut" finish on an alloy wheel -
basically, they look more or less like they've come straight off the
lathe.

What can you use to clean them? Bits of stuff inevitably get burnt onto
them, and I can't just bung it in some caustic soda, as it's aluminium...

Brasso is good on ali sheet (or was it perspex), dunno about diamond cut
though.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jul 15, 8:26*am, "Doki" wrote:

We've got a new gas cooker, and the burners are made of aluminium, with what
would be described as a "diamond cut" finish on an alloy wheel - basically,
they look more or less like they've come straight off the lathe.

What can you use to clean them? Bits of stuff inevitably get burnt onto
them, and I can't just bung it in some caustic soda, as it's aluminium...

Sounds like its 'linished.'

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Doki wrote:
We've got a new gas cooker, and the burners are made of aluminium, with
what would be described as a "diamond cut" finish on an alloy wheel -
basically, they look more or less like they've come straight off the lathe.

What can you use to clean them? Bits of stuff inevitably get burnt onto
them, and I can't just bung it in some caustic soda, as it's aluminium...

KoH solution will clean the surface, be careful if left too long/used
too strong you wont have anything left.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Vernon" wrote in message
Doki wrote:
We've got a new gas cooker, and the burners are made of aluminium, with
what would be described as a "diamond cut" finish on an alloy wheel -
basically, they look more or less like they've come straight off the
lathe.

What can you use to clean them? Bits of stuff inevitably get burnt onto
them, and I can't just bung it in some caustic soda, as it's aluminium...

KoH solution will clean the surface, be careful if left too long/used too
strong you wont have anything left.

I was hoping for some kind of household cleaner with strong degreasing
properties that doesn't eat aluminium. Anything that corrodes ally pretty
much instantly buggers up the finish.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Doki wrote:
I was hoping for some kind of household cleaner with strong degreasing
properties that doesn't eat aluminium. Anything that corrodes ally
pretty much instantly buggers up the finish.

Removing grease is easy enough with many products. It's when it gets baked
on that's the trouble. And is no longer grease.

--
*I don't know what your problem is, but I'll bet it's hard to pronounce

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Vernon wrote:
Doki wrote:
We've got a new gas cooker, and the burners are made of aluminium,
with what would be described as a "diamond cut" finish on an alloy
wheel - basically, they look more or less like they've come straight
off the lathe.

What can you use to clean them? Bits of stuff inevitably get burnt
onto them, and I can't just bung it in some caustic soda, as it's
aluminium...

KoH solution will clean the surface,

No, it will remove it.

be careful if left too long/used
too strong you wont have anything left.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15 July, 08:26, "Doki" wrote:
What can you use to clean them?

KOH (potasium hydroxide). Powerful enough to do the job, just about
benign enough not to damage the finish. Rinse carefully though.

A steam cleaner (or wallpaper stripper) is useful too.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Dingley wrote:
On 15 July, 08:26, "Doki" wrote:
What can you use to clean them?

KOH (potasium hydroxide). Powerful enough to do the job, just about
benign enough not to damage the finish. Rinse carefully though.

Not easy to find though. Soap making supply companies sell it IIRC.

Aluminium croxley UK diy 7 August 23rd 07 01:14 PM
Slate Floor Cleaning / Waxing -- Sealed? Problem with white crud on surface after cleaning... Jamie Dolan Home Repair 4 August 21st 06 03:39 AM
Aluminium David Lang UK diy 31 June 12th 05 08:13 AM
aluminium c&l UK diy 11 February 16th 05 09:57 PM