c&l

Default aluminium

Does anyone have any idea where I can get hold of some strips of aluminium?
needs to be about 1mm thick and I need approximately 9cm wide and a legnth
of about 3 metres...doesn't matter if it's in 2 pieces....

cheers!

Clive

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Frank Erskine wrote:
Does anyone have any idea where I can get hold of some strips of
aluminium? needs to be about 1mm thick and I need approximately 9cm
wide and a legnth of about 3 metres...doesn't matter if it's in 2
pieces....

What's that in real dimensions?

B&Q sell aluminium sheet.

AIUI 3 metres is about 10 feet - B&Q metal sheets aren't *that* big
:-)

True, but perhaps if it is to be jointed more than one joint would be ok.

--
*Elephants are the only mammals that can't jump *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
raden

In message , "Dave Plowman (News)"
writes
In article ,
Frank Erskine wrote:
Does anyone have any idea where I can get hold of some strips of
aluminium? needs to be about 1mm thick and I need approximately 9cm
wide and a legnth of about 3 metres...doesn't matter if it's in 2
pieces....

What's that in real dimensions?

B&Q sell aluminium sheet.

AIUI 3 metres is about 10 feet - B&Q metal sheets aren't *that* big
:-)

True, but perhaps if it is to be jointed more than one joint would be ok.

Might be a bit difficult to roll ...

--
geoff
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
raden wrote:
Does anyone have any idea where I can get hold of some strips of
aluminium? needs to be about 1mm thick and I need approximately
9cm wide and a legnth of about 3 metres...doesn't matter if it's
in 2 pieces....

What's that in real dimensions?

B&Q sell aluminium sheet.

AIUI 3 metres is about 10 feet - B&Q metal sheets aren't *that* big
:-)

True, but perhaps if it is to be jointed more than one joint would be
ok.

Might be a bit difficult to roll ...

Would be with even one joint? I'm curious to know what it's actually
needed for.

When someone says things like 'about 1mm thick' and 'about 9cm wide' and
about 3 metres length but a joint may not matter, accuracy ain't a problem?

--
*When cheese gets its picture taken, what does it say? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Stefek Zaba

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Would be with even one joint? I'm curious to know what it's actually
needed for.

When someone says things like 'about 1mm thick' and 'about 9cm wide' and
about 3 metres length but a joint may not matter, accuracy ain't a problem?

Bodging-up the last piece of aluminium guttering?

Frank Erskine

On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 18:44:06 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
Frank Erskine wrote:
Does anyone have any idea where I can get hold of some strips of
aluminium? needs to be about 1mm thick and I need approximately 9cm
wide and a legnth of about 3 metres...doesn't matter if it's in 2
pieces....

What's that in real dimensions?

B&Q sell aluminium sheet.

AIUI 3 metres is about 10 feet - B&Q metal sheets aren't *that* big
:-)

True, but perhaps if it is to be jointed more than one joint would be ok.

The OP said it doesn't matter if it's in 2 pieces. Ignoring the
overlap for joining I still haven't seen any ali sheets in (a very
big) B&Q anywhere near 5 feet long. (Apart from possible roof cladding
in the emporium).

--
Frank Erskine
raden

In message , No Spam
writes
raden wrote:

In message , c&l
writes
Does anyone have any idea where I can get hold of some strips of aluminium?
needs to be about 1mm thick and I need approximately 9cm wide and a legnth
of about 3 metres...doesn't matter if it's in 2 pieces....

Try cromwell (google it) - free delivery too

Give us a clue where they are, google shows nothing

Well, I typed "cromwell" (without parentheses) into google.co.uk and
guess what the first thing that came up was (top item first page) ...

"Cromwell UK: Industrial Tools Supplier
.... Cromwell Online - Industrial Tools Supplier, ... UK). Cromwell is
the largest
independent Industrial Tools Supplier in Europe. ...
www.cromwell.co.uk/ - 15k - 13 Feb 2005 - Cached - Similar pages "

Didn't look very hard, did you ?

--
geoff
No Spam

raden wrote:

In message , No Spam
writes
raden wrote:

In message , c&l
writes
Does anyone have any idea where I can get hold of some strips of aluminium?
needs to be about 1mm thick and I need approximately 9cm wide and a legnth
of about 3 metres...doesn't matter if it's in 2 pieces....

Try cromwell (google it) - free delivery too

Give us a clue where they are, google shows nothing

Well, I typed "cromwell" (without parentheses) into google.co.uk and
guess what the first thing that came up was (top item first page) ...

"Cromwell UK: Industrial Tools Supplier
... Cromwell Online - Industrial Tools Supplier, ... UK). Cromwell is
the largest
independent Industrial Tools Supplier in Europe. ...
www.cromwell.co.uk/ - 15k - 13 Feb 2005 - Cached - Similar pages "

Well cromwell aluminium stockholders turned up nothing obvious, but
then again despite your advice cromwell don't seem to do aluminium
sheet (or aluminium in any usable form) anyway.

Now look at http://tinyurl.com/57gan

Didn't look very hard, did you ?

Oh I did, but you obviously didn't

raden

In message , No Spam
writes
raden wrote:

Give us a clue where they are, google shows nothing

Well, I typed "cromwell" (without parentheses) into google.co.uk and
guess what the first thing that came up was (top item first page) ...

"Cromwell UK: Industrial Tools Supplier
... Cromwell Online - Industrial Tools Supplier, ... UK). Cromwell is
the largest
independent Industrial Tools Supplier in Europe. ...
www.cromwell.co.uk/ - 15k - 13 Feb 2005 - Cached - Similar pages "

Well cromwell aluminium stockholders turned up nothing obvious, but
then again despite your advice cromwell don't seem to do aluminium
sheet (or aluminium in any usable form) anyway.

Now look at http://tinyurl.com/57gan

Didn't look very hard, did you ?

How could you have looked - "google shows nothing"

It was the first link on the first page

try this link ... www.specsavers.co.uk/

I just said try them, I get some metal from there, I've never had to go
and buy aluminium

--
geoff

No Spam

raden wrote:

I just said try them, I get some metal from there, I've never had to go
and buy aluminium

I'm curious and so obviously as blind as a bat. But pray tell us what
metal sheet/rod/bar etc you get from www.cromwell.co.uk/

Do you buy it in expensive "tool shaped lumps" and forge it, draw it,
roll it etc so you can use it to make other things?

raden

In message , No Spam
writes
raden wrote:

I just said try them, I get some metal from there, I've never had to go
and buy aluminium

I'm curious and so obviously as blind as a bat. But pray tell us what
metal sheet/rod/bar etc you get from www.cromwell.co.uk/

Do you buy it in expensive "tool shaped lumps" and forge it, draw it,
roll it etc so you can use it to make other things?

I buy mainly silver steel

They're the cheapest supplier I've found

--
geoff

bending a 6061t6 2" id aluminium pipe nanotech1 Metalworking 8 January 1st 05 12:12 AM
aluminium wire Sligo Home Repair 3 December 21st 04 08:17 PM
Aluminium on wood lathe Eddie Munster Woodturning 8 September 28th 04 10:45 PM
What to use to clean paint off aluminium? David Billington Metalworking 7 September 8th 04 11:11 PM
Questions about Aluminium Window Frames Michael Chare UK diy 3 January 8th 04 04:37 PM