Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Cleaning tiles and grout

I've got most of the grease/grime off a tiled kitchen (not ours, I
hasten to add!) but the grout is in pretty poor condition with grease
and food/spices staining it.

Anyone able to suggest an easy/quick (probably mutually exclusive but I
can dream!) way to get the grout back to how it was?

TIA

Posted to uk.d-i-y

After serious thinking F wrote :
I've got most of the grease/grime off a tiled kitchen (not ours, I hasten to
add!) but the grout is in pretty poor condition with grease and food/spices
staining it.

Anyone able to suggest an easy/quick (probably mutually exclusive but I can
dream!) way to get the grout back to how it was?

Get a tile grout scraping out tool, scrape it out and regrout it?

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/07/2009 23:04 Harry Bloomfield wrote:

Get a tile grout scraping out tool, scrape it out and regrout it?

I was trying to avoid that and was hoping that someone would come up
with a magic liquid like what you see on telly: sprinkle 5 drops on a
cloth, wave the cloth in the general direction of the tiles and they
sprout little golden stars which go 'ting'!

No?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harry Bloomfield wrote:
After serious thinking F wrote :
I've got most of the grease/grime off a tiled kitchen (not ours, I
hasten to add!) but the grout is in pretty poor condition with
grease and food/spices staining it.

Anyone able to suggest an easy/quick (probably mutually exclusive
but I can dream!) way to get the grout back to how it was?

Get a tile grout scraping out tool, scrape it out and regrout it?

Seconded. For "grout scraping out tool" read suitably sized flat bladed
screwdriver used edge on. Done many this way over the years.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

F wrote:
I've got most of the grease/grime off a tiled kitchen (not ours, I
hasten to add!) but the grout is in pretty poor condition with grease
and food/spices staining it.

Anyone able to suggest an easy/quick (probably mutually exclusive but I
can dream!) way to get the grout back to how it was?

Before going the re-grout route, try some ordinary household bleach on
an old toothbrush and give it a good scrub. I redid a whole bathroom
like that in a couple of hours, and I had anticipated needing to regrout it.

If you do go for a re-grout, give the new grout a coat of Lithofin Grout
Protector once its done. That will make it much more stain resistant in
the future.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 13 Jul 2009 23:00:23 +0100, F news@nowhere had this to say:

I've got most of the grease/grime off a tiled kitchen (not ours, I
hasten to add!) but the grout is in pretty poor condition with grease
and food/spices staining it.

Anyone able to suggest an easy/quick (probably mutually exclusive but I
can dream!) way to get the grout back to how it was?

Angle grinder.

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 13 Jul 2009 23:50:08 +0100, F news@nowhere had this to say:

On 13/07/2009 23:04 Harry Bloomfield wrote:

Get a tile grout scraping out tool, scrape it out and regrout it?

I was trying to avoid that and was hoping that someone would come up
with a magic liquid like what you see on telly: sprinkle 5 drops on a
cloth, wave the cloth in the general direction of the tiles and they
sprout little golden stars which go 'ting'!

No?

WD-40 of course...

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jul 13, 11:50*pm, F news@nowhere wrote:
On 13/07/2009 23:04 Harry Bloomfield wrote:

Get a tile grout scraping out tool, scrape it out and regrout it?

I was trying to avoid that and was hoping that someone would come up
with a magic liquid like what you see on telly: sprinkle 5 drops on a
cloth, wave the cloth in the general direction of the tiles and they
sprout little golden stars which go 'ting'!

No?

Almost. Give it a quick clean then a quick scrape over the grout
lines, just enough to bare some degree of grout. Now apply fresh tile
grout, smoothing it down with a sponge etc, creating a new very thin
layer on top of the old. Despite being a horrible bodge it seems to
work ok.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 13 Jul 2009 23:00:23 +0100, F news@nowhere wrote:

Anyone able to suggest an easy/quick (probably mutually exclusive but I
can dream!) way to get the grout back to how it was?

Possibly dishwasher detergent, followed by household bleach. The two may react
nastily and poisonously, so rinse well.

Thomas Prufer
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Frank Erskine wrote:
On Mon, 13 Jul 2009 23:50:08 +0100, F news@nowhere had this to say:

On 13/07/2009 23:04 Harry Bloomfield wrote:

Get a tile grout scraping out tool, scrape it out and regrout it?

I was trying to avoid that and was hoping that someone would come up
with a magic liquid like what you see on telly: sprinkle 5 drops on a
cloth, wave the cloth in the general direction of the tiles and they
sprout little golden stars which go 'ting'!

No?

WD-40 of course...

Rock on brother...

--
Dave - WD40 Liberation Front.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/07/2009 23:51 Clot wrote:

Seconded. For "grout scraping out tool" read suitably sized flat bladed
screwdriver used edge on. Done many this way over the years.

Angle grinder any use?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jul 14, 12:55*am, Frank Erskine
wrote:
On Mon, 13 Jul 2009 23:00:23 +0100, F news@nowhere had this to say:

I've got most of the grease/grime off a tiled kitchen (not ours, I
hasten to add!) but the grout is in pretty poor condition with grease
and food/spices staining it.

Anyone able to suggest an easy/quick (probably mutually exclusive but I
can dream!) way to get the grout back to how it was?

Angle grinder.

Angle grinder on grouted tile tends to cause burning. Once did it to
clean up a tile that couldnt be replaced.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jul 13, 11:04*pm, Harry Bloomfield
wrote:
After serious thinking F wrote :

I've got most of the grease/grime off a tiled kitchen (not ours, I hasten to
add!) but the grout is in pretty poor condition with grease and food/spices
staining it.

Anyone able to suggest an easy/quick (probably mutually exclusive but I can
dream!) way to get the grout back to how it was?

Get a tile grout scraping out tool, scrape it out and regrout it?

Is that an angle grinder with a thin blade?

MBQ
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
,
wrote:
After serious thinking F wrote :

I've got most of the grease/grime off a tiled kitchen (not ours, I
hasten to add!) but the grout is in pretty poor condition with
grease and food/spices staining it.

Anyone able to suggest an easy/quick (probably mutually exclusive
but I can dream!) way to get the grout back to how it was?

Get a tile grout scraping out tool, scrape it out and regrout it?

Is that an angle grinder with a thin blade?

Another job for Mr Multimaster...

MBQ

--
*I wished the buck stopped here, as I could use a few*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

F wrote:
On 13/07/2009 23:51 Clot wrote:

Seconded. For "grout scraping out tool" read suitably sized flat
bladed screwdriver used edge on. Done many this way over the years.

Angle grinder any use?

Steady!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Clot wrote:
F wrote:
On 13/07/2009 23:51 Clot wrote:

Seconded. For "grout scraping out tool" read suitably sized flat
bladed screwdriver used edge on. Done many this way over the years.

Angle grinder any use?

Fein Multimaster (or clone) with a carbide or diamond segment blade
makes de-grouting easy.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:
Clot wrote:
F wrote:
On 13/07/2009 23:51 Clot wrote:

Seconded. For "grout scraping out tool" read suitably sized flat
bladed screwdriver used edge on. Done many this way over the
years. Angle grinder any use?

Fein Multimaster (or clone) with a carbide or diamond segment blade
makes de-grouting easy.

Don't know about the Fein, but the Bosch carbide blade is rather thick &
can't be used on narrow grouting without damage to the tiles.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
John Rumm wrote:
Clot wrote:
F wrote:
On 13/07/2009 23:51 Clot wrote:

Seconded. For "grout scraping out tool" read suitably sized flat
bladed screwdriver used edge on. Done many this way over the
years. Angle grinder any use?

Fein Multimaster (or clone) with a carbide or diamond segment blade
makes de-grouting easy.

Don't know about the Fein, but the Bosch carbide blade is rather thick &
can't be used on narrow grouting without damage to the tiles.

One needs to check first obviously - but its ok on 3mm lines.

For a comparison against a 2p, see:

http://www.internode.co.uk/temp/carbide-ss-face.jpg
http://www.internode.co.uk/temp/carbide-ss-side.jpg

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:
John Rumm wrote:
Clot wrote:
F wrote:
On 13/07/2009 23:51 Clot wrote:

Seconded. For "grout scraping out tool" read suitably sized flat
bladed screwdriver used edge on. Done many this way over the
years. Angle grinder any use?
Fein Multimaster (or clone) with a carbide or diamond segment blade
makes de-grouting easy.

Don't know about the Fein, but the Bosch carbide blade is rather
thick & can't be used on narrow grouting without damage to the tiles.

One needs to check first obviously - but its ok on 3mm lines.

For a comparison against a 2p, see:

http://www.internode.co.uk/temp/carbide-ss-face.jpg
http://www.internode.co.uk/temp/carbide-ss-side.jpg

I'll measure a Bosch blade when I get a mo, but it seems thicker.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

ceramic tiles and grout benpost UK diy 9 February 2nd 09 03:30 PM
Cleaning grout LouB Home Repair 0 September 18th 08 04:14 PM
Cleaning grout bill Home Repair 0 September 18th 08 03:40 PM
Cleaning Grout Just mee Home Repair 9 September 2nd 06 02:51 AM
grout cleaning D'Olier Home Repair 3 May 15th 04 12:39 AM